“Wedding Reception” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hampton, Virginia
“Wedding Reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Deveda and Matt had a beautiful wedding on Saturday July 31, 2010 which culminated with a beautiful reception and delicious food. The banquet staff was efficient and courteous. Thanks for all your help during the year long planning phase. All of our questions were answered and needs met. Your courteous and helpful attitude made the planning go smoothly.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with a group of coworkers attending meetings in the area. From the start we ran into issues. In over 10 years of government travel, this hotel was the first to ever call back and require a detailed, signed travel order from us. It took three hours to obtain that from my director, making us hit holiday traffic, and making a 4-hour drive from Baltimore into a 7-hour drive. Upon check-in, they notified us that they didn't require that form and we didn't need it.

The stay was decent. The hotel room was nice and comfortable. I had issues with there being absolutely no cellular signal anywhere in the room, so I had to take long conference calls in the lobby. There were blood stains within the toilet seat of my room, which was very off-putting.

We had breakfast at their restaurant and found the food and service to be very good.

Upon check-out and while on the road to my meetings, I realized I left my expensive eye glasses on my bed. That afternoon, after finished work, I called the hotel to see if I could pay for them to ship the glasses to my home. They checked and said the glasses were not in the room. I quickly stopped and checked my car and bag again but, no, the glasses were in the room. Upon returning to work, my travel coordinator notified me that she had received a call from the hotel that a pair of glasses were found. I immediately called back the hotel... and began a five-week game of leaving voice mails. After five weeks I finally received a call back from the manager of Lost and Found that the glasses were never located, were not at the hotel, and that no one had called us to say they were there. So, unfortunately, the glasses seemed to have been either taken or thrown away by the cleaning staff, even though I had notified them before they serviced the room for the day.

And, to top it off, I received an erroneous charge of $5.50 on my card for laundry services. Since I didn't arrive at the hotel until almost 10PM, thanks to a form that I didn't even need, laundry wouldn't even be possible. They quickly refunded that, at least.

The hotel was a very comfortable and nice stay. But, after the service issues I encountered, we will be using other hotels for future travels to the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
NNManager, Manager at Marriott Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
I would like to apologize on behalf of everyone at the hotel for your experience at the Newport News Marriott. It seems that we failed to meet your expectations and our standards from a service and cleanliness standpoint.
I am truly sorry for the confusion with the travel orders, which is a requirement at our hotel, to receive the per diem rate. Due to our location between Langley Air Force Base, Fort Eustis and the Naval base in Norfolk, the demand for government per diem rooms is very high, therefore, we do require either travel orders or a government issued credit card at check-in to ensure that we are holding these rooms for our true government business travelers. However, it appears there is some consistency issues among our staff that we have addressed with the Front Office management team to ensure that future guests are not inconvenienced in a similar way.
We have also addressed your concerns with the cleanliness of our hotel with our Housekeeping Management team.
I apologize that we failed to provide you with the typically high level of service that we expect from our staff. We have reviewed your concerns with the appropriate staff and management in order to improve our hotel for future guests.
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on a trip to the Hampton Roads, VA area with the intentions of both going to Busch Gardens theme park in Williamsburg, VA and the Virginia Beach Oceanfront resort area. The locations is very nice; the hotel is located in the "City Center" area which appears to be a fairly new planned mixed-use development with a large circular fountain surrounded by the restaurants, businesses, and the hotel itself and is tourist friendly. The location is also good becuase is kind of a central location for experiencing the Hampton Roads area, although is is a 40 minute drive to the oceanfront and includes a tunnel, and traffic does get thick at times. The hotel is very nice, pleasing to the eye, and clean. There is valet parking for $12 dollars a day, which I don't recommend because the area is not so busy that self-parking becomes a hassel. Self-parking is $6/day in an attached parking garage that is not owed by the hotel. On the weekend, is was quite empty. There is a free parking garage about a block over, but I felt safer knowing my car was within my view, however the parking garage attached to the hotel is not secure (no gate). Check-in could have been smoother. Check-in is at 4PM, and when I first arrived, one attendant was working the front desk, and there was a small issue with the guest in line, therefore, it took some time to get checked-in. When I did get to the desk, the employee stated that, "I just need to make sure the room is ready," although it was 4PM (the check-in time.) Overall, positive experience and I would certainly stay again. Clean, safe establishment in Newport News, VA.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
The management at the Newport News Marriott would like to thank you for the kind words about our hotel. Your description of the hotel is very accurate and sums up much of what we have to offer here at the Newport News Marriott at City Center. We too feel that we have an ideal location for a visit to Virginia Beach and Williamsburg and yet we have so much right here in our backyard for our guests to enjoy as well.
I would like to apologize for the challenge you experienced during the check-in process. We have reviewed your concerns with the Front Office management to ensure that we are properly staffed to handle all of our guests quickly and efficiently.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stayed at the Marriott City Center after our wedding in April before leaving the following day for our honeymoon in Italy. It was the perfect location half-way between our reception location on Saturday and our family brunch on Sunday morning.

The staff was amazing -- we left our stuff with them and they put it in the room for us. They also unexpectedly upgraded us to a beautiful suite overlooking the fountain. The room was perfect. The bed was so comfortable! The lobby is beautiful and from past experiences I know that the restaurant is delicious.

All-in-all, we would highly recommend staying at the Marriott City Center!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding event! We are thrilled to hear that you chose to make us part of such a special weekend for you both. I am very pleased that our staff really went the extra mile in assisting to make your wedding weekend a remarkably memorable one. We hope you visit us again in the future for any special events or even just a weekend getaway!!!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

I recently stayed at the Marriott City Center for a wedding in the Newport News area. I had a comfortable room on the 9th floor. The mattress was a little firm but that did not bother me, and I enjoyed the extra pillows and duvet. I slept very well the first night until the alarm clock on the nightstand went off at 6 AM! I couldn't figure out how to shut it off so I ended up unplugging it for the rest of my stay. I had planned on sleeping in, but just could not get back to sleep after that. The room had a flat-screen TV, although the channel selection seemed limited and the picture was a bit fuzzy, or maybe I've grown too used to my HDTV at home.

For the price, I felt they could have offered a bit more. Breakfast was an additional charge. There was a nearly empty parking structure attached to the hotel, but they charged you $6/day to park there. I did not use the hotel-provided Internet but according to their site, it was an additional $5/day. These are things that I could have gotten for free at other hotels! For such a new hotel, the bathroom looked a little worn. While the room was tastefully decorated, it seemed like someone else had picked out the cheapest possible tile and fixtures for the bathroom. It also looked like housekeeping wiped down what was visible from the bathroom entrance and missed the stuff that splashed behind the door.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Williamsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for my 20 year high school reunion. From the minute I walked into the Hotel everything was perfect. The customer service provided by the staff was excellent. The decor of the room was lively and tastefully done. The entire hotel and especially my room were white glove clean. The mattress was extremely comfortable and the sheets were extra soft and fresh. Thank you Marriott for a great time and experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
NNManager, Manager at Marriott Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind comments concerning our hotel and staff. We are extremely pleased to hear that we were able to make your class reunion a truly special and memorable event. Our banquet and housekeeping staff were very excited to hear of your experience and they were both thrilled that we were able to make your stay an enjoyable one. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return to the Newport News Marriott at City Center.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

This was my first stay in the Newport News Marriott. My colleague and I found this hotel while driving around the Oyster Point area (we were initially staying at the Omni Hotel, which is a few blocks away). The Marriott and its location are much better than the Omni. So much so that we decided to check out of the Omni and into the Marriott, and we're so glad we did. The Marriott is MUCH better than the Omni, was the same rate, and the location is right in the middle of excellent shopping and dining opportunities. There is also a lovely made-made lake with fountains directly in front of the hotel that is beautiful to look at and enjoyable to walk around.
The hotel made a positive first impression for me. The staff was professional and courteous, and the hotel was pristinely clean. The only questionable aspects for me was the hotel’s charge of $6 per night for parking, when the parking lot adjacent to the hotel was basically empty, and, the guest(s) in the adjacent room to me was rather noisy, and they kept their TV on until well after midnight, etc.; because it was an adjoining room (door between the two), I could pretty much hear everything. I guess the lesson learned for me here is to remember to request a “non-adjoining room” next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Newport News at City Center? Share your experiences!