“Nice hotel, good location & spacious rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2! Book Now
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Stafford, Virginia
“Nice hotel, good location & spacious rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is a conference, business hotel. Located in a mixed use area, it is in close proximity to several high-end restaurant chains and retail stores. The hotel is very large with 10 floors of rooms, a conference facility, bar/lounge, pool/fitness rooms and restaurant. The hotel is fairly new.

Our room was good size with two queen beds, desk, and flat screen tv. The bedding was very nice and everything was very clean. The housekeeping staff does an excellent job of keeping these rooms sparkling! My only complaint about the room was the cheap bed. It was saggy and did not offer a good sleep. The rooms are pretty quiet, but there is some hallway noise.

This hotel has one of the best fitness rooms I have seen. Large space, good equipment, tv's, and very clean. The indoor pool was also very nice. The hot tub was hot, but the jets needed work, as they were just a steady streams of water.

We ate breakfast in the hotel buffet. At $12 per person it was well worth the expense. Lots of basic variety and the staff was very accommodating. We ate late and the food was still fresh!

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. We needed a last minute checkout - and it did not phase the desk one bit. Marriott has once again lived up to their service standards.

Room Tip: The City Center side of the hotel has a nice view of the fountains.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
bjohnsonCTA, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Newport News Marriott at City Center. We know that our future guests will find value in the detailed review that you have taken the time to provide. I do apologize that your sleep experience was less than satisfactory. I can certainly understand how that may have been uncomfortable. We take our guest reviews very seriously and I am pleased to say that we have recently been upgrading our mattresses throughout the hotel. We welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia to experience first-hand how your review has helped us raise the bar for our future guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The hotel staff matches the quality of the Hotel. The rooms are well kept with the ammendaties being everything wanted and more. Great location with tons of stores and restaurants in walking distance. The Marketing Director/GM/Housekeeping Mgr/Lead Engineer made my company's stay effortless and manageable. I will definately recommend staying here again to my boss.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite is awesome!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott at City Center team, I would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear that our team was able to provide you with the genuine care that we strive to provide to all of our guests. We welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia to experience first-hand how guest reviews like yours help us to continually improve our service for future guests.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed in the Marriott Newport News for two nights while visiting Colonial Williamsburg over President’s Weekend. We had a great stay - the rooms are spacious, clean and overlooked the beautiful fountains. We spent some time in the pool and hot tub and really enjoyed it. It was never too crowded and always clean. Breakfast at the Rockefellers restaurant in the hotel lobby was mediocre. There was a big variety of food to choose from but we found the second day’s food fresher than the first. Our waitress was a bit on the grumpy side. Room service was good (it was raining and snowing outside, so we didn’t feel like going out) and the service excellent. The hotel is brand new - definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott at City Center Team, thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Many of our guests find our location convenient while visiting nearby Colonial Williamsburg. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your comments with our restaurant manager so that we can address the issues you encountered during breakfast service. Thank you again for taking the time to provide this review. We welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia!
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We spent two nights operating out of this Marriott at City Center. The room was clean and spacious with large, flat-screen TV. The room had a handy coffee/tea brewer with fresh supplies. Our room had an excellent view of the large fountain. There are many small shops and eateries nearby. Parking was not free, but that is expected in a large hotel. There was also a charge for WiFi service. We ate breakfast in the hotel -- nice buffet with minimal staff. We felt safe in the City Center area.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces a large fountain on a traffic circle. This is the best side if you are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
bjohnsonCTA, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott at City Center team, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate your detailed review and thank you for taking the time to provide insight into our property for our future guests. We welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia to experience first-hand how reviews like yours help us to continually improve our service.
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had our wedding at the Marriott a few days ago and my husband and I could not be happier. Between all of our family and friends, we booked about 30 rooms at the Marriott for the weekend. Check in was very smooth, the service and staff was wonderful, the rooms were clean and the views were amazing!! Parking was free at the attached parking garage. The location is walking distance to a variety of restaurants.

I definitely recommend this place for a wedding and lodging.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott at City Center team, I would like to thank you for your review of our property. It is through feedback and reviews like yours that we are able to continue to excede expectations and provide our guests the genuine care that they deserve. We are so glad that we were able to share in your special occasion and we welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia to experience first-hand how guest reviews like yours help us to continually raise the bar for our future guests.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

My negativity is not just for this Marriott, but all Marriott hotels that have gone to micro-sized pillows. Why? My head hardly fits on these things. I can hardly get comfortable. Then the only other option is a gigantic square thing. I am not sure what focus group or surveys were done to say go to a one foot by one foot pillow was good, but please go back to a normal sized pillow!

Otherwise this Marriott was ok...

• Stayed January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Parking a breeze, attached garage was free. Check-in was swamped, a group of 10-15 business travelers beat me to the desk. Although there were 2 attendants, they were both focused on taking care of this large group who seemed to be struggling due to language barrier. It was a little annoying that they wouldn't open the MR line or at the very least have someone else come take care of myself and the couple behind me waiting. It was a solid 15 minutes before I got to check-in. Platinum arrival gift was offered, I cannot remember if I was given an upgrade. The property does not have a concierge lounge, but did give voucher for breakfast. Room was clean and modern, with mini fridge. There was a lot of nearby restaurants and bars within walking distance. I had no problems with my stay other than slow check-in.

Room Tip: No real point in getting a special view here, not much to see other than a fountain.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NNManager, Manager at Marriott Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your response in reference to your last stay with us at the Newport News Marriott at City Center. I apologize that the arrival experience was less than desirable due to the large group that arrived just before you. I can certainly understand your frustration in not receiving an expedited check-in.
Based on your response, I am assuming that you stayed either a Friday or Saturday night, or over the Thanksgiving holiday, as you were provided with breakfast vouchers based on your Platinum status. We do actually have a Concierge Lounge on the top floor of the hotel, however, it is closed from Friday at noon until Sunday at 5pm in accordance with Marriott standards. We also closed for a few days around the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope that you will be able to stay with us again in the future and take advantage of the Concierge Lounge at the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future.

Been to Marriott Newport News at City Center? Share your experiences!