“Good mini-vacation lodging” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hampton, Virginia
“Good mini-vacation lodging”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We spent two nights operating out of this Marriott at City Center. The room was clean and spacious with large, flat-screen TV. The room had a handy coffee/tea brewer with fresh supplies. Our room had an excellent view of the large fountain. There are many small shops and eateries nearby. Parking was not free, but that is expected in a large hotel. There was also a charge for WiFi service. We ate breakfast in the hotel -- nice buffet with minimal staff. We felt safe in the City Center area.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces a large fountain on a traffic circle. This is the best side if you are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
bjohnsonCTA, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott at City Center team, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate your detailed review and thank you for taking the time to provide insight into our property for our future guests. We welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia to experience first-hand how reviews like yours help us to continually improve our service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had our wedding at the Marriott a few days ago and my husband and I could not be happier. Between all of our family and friends, we booked about 30 rooms at the Marriott for the weekend. Check in was very smooth, the service and staff was wonderful, the rooms were clean and the views were amazing!! Parking was free at the attached parking garage. The location is walking distance to a variety of restaurants.

I definitely recommend this place for a wedding and lodging.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott at City Center team, I would like to thank you for your review of our property. It is through feedback and reviews like yours that we are able to continue to excede expectations and provide our guests the genuine care that they deserve. We are so glad that we were able to share in your special occasion and we welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia to experience first-hand how guest reviews like yours help us to continually raise the bar for our future guests.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My negativity is not just for this Marriott, but all Marriott hotels that have gone to micro-sized pillows. Why? My head hardly fits on these things. I can hardly get comfortable. Then the only other option is a gigantic square thing. I am not sure what focus group or surveys were done to say go to a one foot by one foot pillow was good, but please go back to a normal sized pillow!

Otherwise this Marriott was ok...

• Stayed January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Parking a breeze, attached garage was free. Check-in was swamped, a group of 10-15 business travelers beat me to the desk. Although there were 2 attendants, they were both focused on taking care of this large group who seemed to be struggling due to language barrier. It was a little annoying that they wouldn't open the MR line or at the very least have someone else come take care of myself and the couple behind me waiting. It was a solid 15 minutes before I got to check-in. Platinum arrival gift was offered, I cannot remember if I was given an upgrade. The property does not have a concierge lounge, but did give voucher for breakfast. Room was clean and modern, with mini fridge. There was a lot of nearby restaurants and bars within walking distance. I had no problems with my stay other than slow check-in.

Room Tip: No real point in getting a special view here, not much to see other than a fountain.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NNManager, Manager at Marriott Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your response in reference to your last stay with us at the Newport News Marriott at City Center. I apologize that the arrival experience was less than desirable due to the large group that arrived just before you. I can certainly understand your frustration in not receiving an expedited check-in.
Based on your response, I am assuming that you stayed either a Friday or Saturday night, or over the Thanksgiving holiday, as you were provided with breakfast vouchers based on your Platinum status. We do actually have a Concierge Lounge on the top floor of the hotel, however, it is closed from Friday at noon until Sunday at 5pm in accordance with Marriott standards. We also closed for a few days around the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope that you will be able to stay with us again in the future and take advantage of the Concierge Lounge at the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future.
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Located very nicely in the new Town Center district. Overlooking fountain and close to shopping and restaurants. Received a good rate at thanksgiving wich included a very nice breakfast buffett. Chosen due to the covenient location to family and very pleased with our choice. Good service and nicely maintained hotel.
Only downside is the very small indoor pool which we never used.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us during the Thanksgiving holiday. We truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us over that special occasion. Your description of our hotel was very accurate as we have a lot to offer within this City Center area of Newport News.
I am pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful daily breakfast buffet. If you are in the area next year, you might want to take advantage of the great Thanksgiving buffet we serve each year in Rockefeller's. It is a wonderful event and we receive rave reviews about Chef Ray Garrow's food each year.
Thank you again for the response and we look forward to you staying with us again.
Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Overall a good place to stay in a quiet, upscale location in the Newport News City Center. It's a walkable town center type area.

Exterior: reflects the general Newport News City Center architecture - modern with a distinct colonial influence

Interior common areas: the six year old hotel is more modern than the exterior but not quite approaching the current contemporary Marriott design; adjacent garage accessible via a meandering interior route through the conference center

Service: front desk staff was okay (knowledgeable, professional, but distracted) on Saturday night, great (knowledgeable, professional, friendly, helpful) on Sunday morning

Rooms: consistent with the current contemporary Marriott design including furniture with clean lines, a flat panel TV, and extra outlets at the night stands and at the desk (newer Marriotts have a few more at the desk); room and bathroom size was adequate, somewhat small, and typical for newer Marriotts; notable was the deeper bathtub that could hold water at least 12 inches deep; wifi speed was fine, but the hotel was lightly occupied on this holiday weekend.

Restaurant: only had breakfast; typical Marriott breakfast buffet spread included house made corn beef hash (not canned)

Lounge: very friendly bartender, good with local information, helpful getting us dessert shortly after the kitchen closed

Room Tip: More interesting panoramic view on the side facing the City Center fountain (same side as conference...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for the kind words you expressed about the Newport News Marriott at City Center. Your detailed description of our hotel will provide the necessary insight to our guests that are interested in staying with us in the future.
As you described, the interior of the hotel is in great shape for being almost seven years old. We are in the process of working on our renovation plans for the future to change our interior lobby look into Marriott's modern concept.
I am sorry that the front desk desk appeared distracted upon checking in, but I am glad that it did not deter from the high service quality you should expect from a Marriott. For example, I was pleased to hear that the bartender went the extra mile in accomodating your request for dessert after the kitchen closed that evening.
Thank you again for all your kind words and I hope you have an opportunity to visit us again.
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott after our wedding--they even let him pick the specific room to have a view of the fountains. Again, I was at the Marriott this year to help coordinate a wedding. Everything that was needed was provided. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the area perfect for pictures, and the food excellent (ask for the smoked gouda au gratin potatoes--they are to die for). All in all, I've not had a bad experience either as a guest or as a coordinator.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the fountains!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
You are right!!!! Our hotel is a wonderful location for holding all of your special events. We understand how important it is to provide a stress free experience during weddings and special occasions. Our catering team, our banquet team and all of our staff work together to provide perfect experiences for your wedding event. I am glad that you chose to host your wedding at the Newport News Marriott and I hope that, as a coordinator, you are able to work with our wonderful staff on future events here.

Been to Marriott Newport News at City Center? Share your experiences!