“Nice staff and accommodations” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Nice staff and accommodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed one night as a pit stop on way to beach. Suite was spacious for a family of 4. Clean. Front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Complimentary breakfast was good just be early in order to have choices. Room rate was very reasonable. Would stay again if needed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Noahlukasmom,

Thank you so much for your business and your great review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay, that our staff were helpful, that our rooms were spacious and clean, and that our breakfast was good. We do all we can to provide the best possible stay for each and every guest, and I am glad to see we have succeeded yet again!

I hope to have you and your family as our guests again the next time you're in the area!

Stephen Barger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed overnight on our way to a business conference. The first problem was when we pulled into the parking lot. There was a whole group of kids in the parking lot in front of the check-in area looting. Later we went to the pool, which was very small, and all the kids had moved there. They were loud and the pool was so small my kids could not swim. The bed was hard and hurt my back. The pillows were fluffy but flattened out more than a pancake when you lay on them. I barely slept at all. The carpets were dirty. The bathtub had mildew in it. The breakfast was nothing special. The staff was courteous....I will give them that.

Stayed July 2014
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Mrs. Parsons,

I am very sorry about the issues you had during your recent visit with us. We have several basketball teams staying at the hotel, and during their off time, they frequently hang out by the pool or outside.

I will have housekeeping and maintenance make sure all the carpets are cleaned this week, and the other issues you had are addressed immediately.

I am very sorry about the problems you had during your visit, and I hope you give us another chance the next time you're in the area!

Ashburn, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We chose this hotel as it was close to an event that we had to attend the next day. We checked in late on Friday night and the clerk at the front desk was very pleasant. WE were upgrades to a Queen Suite and NC. Nice too. First No parking as a large truck with an even larger trailer was taking up at least 6 spaces. Parking lot is small to begin with and this was ridiculous! Our suite was roomy but rather outdated. The sofa and all of the chairs were awful. The bathroom was adequate except the when opening the door it barely cleared the toilet, weird. Also the bathroom was old and not dirty, but not clean. We were only provided 2 washcloths and when asking for another it never showed. If you like a really hard bed then you are in luck! The AC closet is in the bedroom. The AC ran most of the night and it sounded like an airplane taking off. Loud and annoying!! Internet was free, but connection bad! Breakfast was included. The breakfast room was dirty, trash overflowing onto the floor, only 2 apples and a little fruit cocktail for fruit choices, nice waffle maker, waffles just OK, tables sticky and dirty. The room was also very crowded and hot. I asked the front desk clerk if she could turn up AC in the room and she curtly told me to relay it to the breakfast attendant. Oh yeah the one that couldn't handle the trash spilling all over the floor. There was also a basketball team or 2 or 3 staying there. They were loud and ran up and down the floor until late into the night. I would keep driving right past this hotel. Not worth the one nice clerk!

Room Tip: No room would be a good choice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Bentley's Mom,

I am sorry that you were not happy with your recent visit with us, largely due to a few teams staying with us. July is one of our busiest months, and we do get quite busy at times. I am sorry for this inconvenience.

If there are any specific issues you would like to discuss, I invite you to give me a call at the hotel directly. I would also like to offer you a discount off your next stay with us, if you would like to give me a call at the hotel I can discuss this in further detail as well.

Port Orange, FL.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stopped in Newport News and were faced with few choices since there was a concert at the Coliseum. We booked a room here and were satisfied with the room. However, we were not satisfied with the breakfast provided the next morning. There was very little to choose from and no type of eggs available. Terrible has browns didn't help. I would not go back to this hotel for that reason.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeff,

I am glad that you were satisfied with your room, but I am sorry you were not satisfied with our breakfast. We normally have eggs most mornings, I do not know why we did not have them that morning. I am very sorry that you were not happy with the breakfast options, and please know I will use your suggestions to further improve our breakfast for all guests.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, feel free to contact me at the hotel directly. I hope that you give us another chance the next time you're in the area!

Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This hotel is virtually the same as any other Country Inn we stayed at. Its a chain, so you get similar rooms, similar food etc etc. I always feel at a Country Inn, that there is a bit more focus on the customer needs, than that found at a Choice Hotel/Comfort Inn. For instance the breakfast here includes cooked items such as oatmeal. In the lobby there are cookies and coffee. We stayed in a one room suite and it was very clean spacious and quiet. The pool area is unattended and small but adequate for what we wanted. I just wish each chain hotel would try something a little different, something that would set themselves apart from each other, but this hotel simply follows the standard format. Overall it delivers a Country Inn experience without any surprises.

Probably will try another hotel in the area, when we are back in Savannah.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Chris,

Thank you so much for your business this past fall. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, but are sorry that we didn't do anything to stand out specifically. We have revamped our breakfast to offer a better breakfast for each guest, and we have spent a lot of energy training all of our staff to provide the best possible service for all of our guests.

I hope to see you again the next time you're in the area!

Thanks again for your great review and your business.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We enjoyed everything about the hotel. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean and updated; the value for your dollar at most Country Inns is great and this one did not disappoint. We didn't use the pool or get the opportunity to have breakfast but hopefully we will during our next trip to VA.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
SouthernCross24,

Thank you so much for your review of our property and for your business. We appreciate you choosing our hotel during your visit in the Hampton Roads Area! We do all we can to provide the best value, and best service possible to all of our guests. I am glad to see that we have succeeded yet again in this endeavor!

I look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in the area!

Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Checking was a breeze. The staff is very friendly. Location is in a nice area. The room was very clean. Would stay here again. Our only issue was that this place is advertised as smoke free but the room we stayed in smelled of cigarette smoke.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Terry,

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do all we can to provide the best experience for each and every guest, and I am glad to see we have succeeded in this tradition yet again. I am sorry to hear your room smelled like smoke, I will see if I can pull up your room number based off your first name and last initial, and I will ensure the room you were in gets a deep cleaning to remove the smoke smell.

I hope to see you again next time you're in the area!

Stephen Barger

Been to Country Inn & Suites Newport News South? Share your experiences!