“The best staff I have found!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“The best staff I have found!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed at this beautiful inn a couple weeks ago. It is a convenient location, the staff are amazing and the accommodations are more than sufficient. Earlene and her team keep the rooms spotless and the GM Steve does a fine job of helping guests find good restaurants, museums, etc. I have a new contract that will put me in the Newport News area at least once a month for the next couple years, and I will be staying here each and every time!

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room to have a quieter stay
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for your review and your business. We look forward to having you as our guest for years to come! We go out of our way to provide the best in service to each and every one of our guests and I am glad to see that we have continued that tradition with you! If there is anything further I can do to make your stays even better, don't hesitate to ask!

If you haven't already, why don't you signup for Club Carlson? You can earn points towards free nights, gift cards, and much, much more! Please contact me for more information.

Thanks again for your business and I look forward to meeting you during your next visit with us!

Stephen Barger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have used this hotel repeatedly over the last few year for our high school track team. The manager, Stephen Barger, and his staff have been extremely accommodating and have meet our every need. The continental breakfast is fresh and clean with friendly worker staff. Additionally the hotel is very quiet and the beds are excellent. I already have 2 more group reservations for the near future. I would highly recommend this to anyone traveling in the Hampton/Newport News area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Woodbridge Track,

Thank you so much for your great review! We appreciate having you as regular guests here, and hope to continue earning that honor for years to come! We pride ourselves in our amazing staff, and I appreciate you mentioning our staff in your review.

Again, thank you for your review, and I look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks!

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Went to a show at ferguson art center stayed for one night. Very clean. Pleasant staff close to christopher newport university. Quiet and comfortable Breakfast was only ok coffe was good servers for breakfast very nice. Food only ok

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear VirginiaCandy,

Thank you so much for your excellent review, and your business! In these tough economic times, we realize there are many choices for hotels, and we go out of our way to provide the best service, and the best stay possible! We are always exploring ideas that would further improve our product and our service, and we will see what we can improve with our breakfast.

I am thrilled to see that you loved your stay with us, and I look forward to having you as our guest for years to come! There are dozens of great performances at the Ferguson Center for the Arts throughout the year, and as you noted, we are located just a few short minutes from there.

Again, thank you for your business and your wonderful review. I hope to see you again next time you are in town!

Madison, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites while visiting family in Newport News during the Thanksgiving holiday. Our stay was excellent. The hotel and room were clean and comfortable, with a helpful staff. The breakfast was very good with lots of options for starting the day. The food varied from day to day, which was a nice surprise. There are always snacks available in the lobby: a pot of coffee or tea and cookies. Seemed like a home away from home. I'd definitely recommend it and will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Tina J,

On behalf of the entire Staff & Management, I would like to thank you for your wonderful review and for your business. I know there are many choices for hotels, and we appreciate you choosing to stay with us! We pride ourselves in going the extra mile, in providing those extra touches, to make each and every guests' stay as great as it can be! I am glad to see we are succeeding in that mission!

Again, thanks for the great review, and I look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in town!

Dividing Creek, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites for Thanksgiving. We came to Newport News to visit family and am so glad we chose to stay here. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. We didn't check in until midnight and the front desk clerk was still very nice and helpful. Check in was quick they had all our paperwork waiting for us which was nice when checking in with two children who were very tired from the 5 hour drive there. The best part was the pool. It is open until midnight which is great because we were visiting family all day and we could still take the kids swimming before bed! I will stay here anytime we come to Newport News!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear JamieLynn,

Thank you so much for your great review and for your recent stay at our hotel. We know that there are times our guests don't get back to the hotel until late, and that is why we extended our pool hours until midnight, so that you will still have a chance to enjoy our heated indoor pool and hot tub. We have made some changes to our housekeeping program recently, to improve guest satisfaction by working on the small, but important details in the rooms. I am glad to see this is working, and glad to see you loved your stay with us!

I hope to have you as our guest for years to come, when you're in town visiting family & friends!

Thank you again for your stay, see you soon!

Heathsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have never had a bad experience at this Country Inn & Suites and stay here several times yearly. There are restaurants and shopping malls in area and convenient to I-64. Staff is always friendly, smiling and efficient. We were assigned to a handicap room on this stay which had a large bathroom and spacious living room. We like to sleep with the bathroom light on in case we have to get up during the night and appreciated that there is not a fan in the ceiling that runs when the light is in on position. Bed was comfortable and that is important since back problem is an issue. Hotel was very quiet. Our tv did not have good reception on 2nd night and repair came immediately, located the problem and reprogramed. Repair person was very friendly and apologetic. We were not inconvenienced at all. A smile says a thousand words and every employee we came in contact with was always smiling.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. We absolutely love hearing from each and every guest about how we're doing! I am sorry that the TV reception went out during your second day, but I am thrilled to see that all of our staff went above and beyond and got the situation rectified immediately! I am glad to hear that other than this brief problem, you had a wonderful stay.

I look forward to having you as our guest the next time you're back in the area!

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

As a long time traveler who prefers Country Inns, I was satisfied with the spacious bath room (we were fortunate to have a handicapped room, we are not). The rest of the room was satisfactory for our stay (crashed after Busch Gardens). We had a marginal experience with breakfast, as the attendant did not speak English and was often on her cellphone. We have stayed there many times over the years and have not had a bad experience there, although they habitually run out of cookies!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff and management, thank you very much for your recent stay with us, and your great review. We are implementing changes with our breakfast program to improve the quality of our breakfast for all of our guests. I invite you to stay with us again so you can see the changes first hand!

Again, thank you for your business and your review. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit with us!

Stephen Barger

Been to Country Inn & Suites Newport News South? Share your experiences!