“Great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Visiting for CNU game. I thought we would get a simple standard room, but we had a wonderful surprise. Room had two beds plus a small living room area couch and chair! The beds for very comfortable. All of the staff front desk, housekeeping where very kind and helpful. We enjoyed breakfast both mornings, where treated to sausage, eggs, waffles, plus cereals, bagels, fruit. Next morning chicken with gravy, waffles, fruit etc very tasy! Pool and hotub was AWESOME! Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you during your next visit to CNU!

Vice President of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a room with 2 queen beds. The room was clean and in good condition, although the bathroom was short on towels. The breakfast room is TINY and the offerings were so bad we decided to go to a nearby IHOP. All the baked goods were sugary, pre-packaged and chock full of hydrogenated oils, the coffee was undrinkable and the hot food unappetizing. And the din in the small room, between the loud TV and crowded tables was hardly a pleasant way to start the day. Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I am sorry you were dissatisfied with your stay with us in July, and specifically the problems you had with our breakfast. Since your visit with us in July, we have worked on making a new breakfast menu, have ordered new linens, and have been doing a lot of work around the property to increase guest satisfaction, as you can see by the more recent reviews.

I sincerely hope you decide to give us another try, so you can see our improvements first hand. If you have any other suggestions or issues you would like to address, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kaneohe, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I strongly recommend this hotel on your next visit to the Newport News area. Our room was very comfortable, clean and spacious. The friendly staff made our visit most enjoyable and the delicious daily breakfast was more than enough to start our day. This hotel is conveniently located to my daughter's home in Hampton--an extra plus. Each day my daughter and grandson visited my husband and I for breakfast and to swim in the indoor pool. My grandson loved the pool so much, he cryed when it was time to checkout. I plan to stay here whenever I visit. Thank you Steve and the friendly staff at CI&S for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I am glad to see you made it home safely! I truly enjoyed your stay with us, talking with you and your grandson each morning made my mornings! I appreciate your business, and your absolutely great review :) . I am glad that you got to spend the time with your family, and I am glad we made your time with the family that much better :) .

I look forward to your next visit with us, and hope the family is all doing great :)

Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Having stayed in a variety of Country Inn & Suites hotels, I'd say this one falls toward the better than average of them. I recommend this hotel for its physical location because it is a great mid-point between Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. Also, everything you need is around this hotel from a supermarket to multiple restaurants and gas stations. Entrance/exit ramps to the main highways are close by as well.
As for the hotel itself, it is well maintained and has the "homey" (home-like, not rapper-like) look and feel I'd expect from this brand. The staff is friendly and helpful. The overall cleanliness of the room was good. There were some hairs on the padded, fitted mattress sheet but not enough for me to warrant having it changed as there was another clean sheet on top of it. I slept mildly well but that was mostly due to people in the neighboring room being excessively loud for a while.
Overall I would repeat a stay at this hotel, again primarily because of the location.

Room Tip: If you're a Club Carlson Gold member you should receive a free upgraded room if there is one ava...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us, and I appreciate the great review! I look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the Hampton Roads Area.

Thanks again

Odessa, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We weren't sure how long we would actually be in the area as we were dropping our daughter off at Ft Eustis. But we ended up in this hotel without a reservation and it was wonderful!!! I will stay here again when I go to visit her again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff and management, I would like to thank you for your business and your great review! We are always happy to have military families, and we pride ourselves in being able to help the families of those who serve. I look forward to having you as our guests for years to come!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am the person that checks and double checks ALL reviews on hotels before I book. I cross check everything...OCD I know. I just want to be able to stay with my kids somewhere CLEAN and NICE. So I actually cancelled a reservation at another hotel and booked here based on a lot of your reviews. And believe me I liked it! We got into the area late around 11 pm and they checked me in fast. Every one was really nice. The room was bog and nice...we got 2 queen with a separate sitting area.
The only down was 1 yucky washcloth...but I heard that they are replacing their towels so that's good news. Other than that breakfast is not gourmet but its OK for a quick bite. Kids had cereal, I grabbed coffee....by the way this was AFTER breakfast ENDED! The front desk let us grab something since we mixed up times. They are really very nice and understanding since the little ones were hungry. This place is worth the money and clean. We didn't use the pool. The beach is easily accessible. Everything was clean. The next day we stayed at a pricier hotel and we had more problems there. I should have just stayed here the extra night.

Room Tip: Our room was at the top of the stairs....if you are staying with kids opt for the 2 queen beds and i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Newport News South, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thanks for the great review, and I look forward to having you as our guest during your next visit with us!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very clean. Bed comfortable. Well appointed. Linens ample. Staff was very friendly, considerate and helpful. Breakfast varied and plentiful.
A guide for tv and creamer, rather than powder, for coffee would be nice additions.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, we go out of our way to ensure each guest is happy. We will be doing small changes to our operations this fall, to further increase guest satisfaction, and I will look into your ideas. If you have any further suggestions to improve our property or operations, feel free to give me a call at the hotel.

Again, thanks for your great review, and I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your time with us!

Vice President of Operations

Been to Country Inn & Suites Newport News South? Share your experiences!