“Luigi's brings it” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 396 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“Luigi's brings it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Taking a suggestion of a friend who lives in the area, we opted for Italian which made me hesitate being of that ethnic extraction. However, I was delighted by the warm atmosphere and lovely server who made us feel like family visiting on a Saturday evening. The menu had a variety of good choices although I decided on the petite lobster ravioli. There were four pieces along with a pink sauce and lobster bits. I got the impression a more ample portion would have been served, but I didn't feel I needed the largest choice offered for $20. The garlic knots were so decadent and flavorful. The side salad was fresh, crisp and a large size. Those dining with us all seemed happy with their selections and took food to go. I would certainly return here if in the area again with many good options.

• Visited May 2014

London
“Very good - Go there!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

As overseas visitors when you park outside this restaurant you are not sure you are in the right place as it is next to a gun shop and not in a typical USA mall type setting. However do not let that put you off as inside the food is excellent. it is like visiting a piece of Little Italy from NYC. We had brilliant service from John and the food was very tasty with very generous portions. Even though it was very quiet (the restaurant is quite large inside) we still enjoyed the experience. Would definitely return.

• Visited April 2014
Wolverine, Michigan
“We'd return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

After reading other people's reviews, we decided to try Luigi's. The menu was fairly standard Italian. The food was very tasty. We came on a Thursday night, which happened to correspond with their new Couples Night special. It worked well for us. We both enjoyed our wines, appetizer, entrees (Seafood Extravaganza and Lobster Ravioli) and dessert (ice cream). Portions were generous. Service was warm and very friendly; we felt welcomed and appreciated (note: we had come for an early dinner, and the restaurant wasn't busy). We are knowledgeable but not expert on Italian food; however, we know a good meal, with good value, when we have one. This was worth the visit.

• Visited May 2014
Hampton, Virginia
“If you don't know good Italian, you'll probably think its good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

So, my husband and I decided to try this "#1" Tripadvisor rated restaurant for Newport News...are thoughts, who is voting? I am seriously confused. It is average, if not slightly below because of the grease. Everything is sitting in a pool of oil: the bread, the seafood, the pasta...we left feeling like we were going to break out in acne on the drive home. I am Italian and from New Jersey, so yes, I am biased coming from one of the best states for Italian food in this country, but even my husband didn't like it. He is from MN and doesn't have a lick of Italian in his heritage. The menu does not match the one on here, it is short and lacks creativity. The sauce isn't as sweet as others I have eaten at in this area, but still somewhat sweet nonetheless. I just don't see the need to ruin a nice red sauce with sugar...it actually makes me angry. The ambiance left a lot to be desired both outside and in...there was a huge lunch buffet table made of stainless steel sitting in the middle of the dining room. If you have a lunch buffet that is great, but when I go on a Sunday night it shouldn't be out. Unfortunately, after living in this area for 6+ months I am back to square 1 with finding an Italian restaurant worthy of my time and money.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Buffet for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This place was recommended for lunch by a coworker. We both had the buffet which included salad, pizza and soup. Both of us really enjoyed the food and the service was great.