“I'll have what she's having (it's all good)” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 430 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
“I'll have what she's having (it's all good)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We were a party of six dining on a Thursday evening with reservations. The place was very busy and the parking lot initially was full, but soon we caught up with our relatives who had already been seated in the outside dining area on the porch.

Our waiter Mark was terrific and very accommodating of the two elderly people in our party, who do need extra attention. My uncle ordered the Surf and Turf, and Mark graciously cut up his steak for him. Everyone in our party was impressed with the service.

The menu offers many tempting alternatives and it was hard to decide on one. I ordered a daily special - it was a broiled fish (sorry, I forget the variety) topped with a crab sauce, and it was excellent. My lady really enjoyed her combo plate including sauted scallops, fried shrimp, and fried oysters. Again, the food earned high marks from everyone.

We shared a couple of desserts and again, everyone enjoyed them. My cousin grabbed the check so I am a little vague about the prices, but from what I remember from the menu, it is pretty reasonable considering the high quality of the food.

If you are looking for a quiet romantic spot this isn't it, but if you enjoy good seafood I enthusiastically recommend Harpoon Larry's. Note that the old location my GPS first took us to in Hampton, VA is no longer in business. We dined at the Harpoon Larry's on J. Clyde Morris Blvd. in Newport News.

• Visited July 2014

Dinwiddie, Virginia
“great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The food is always good, the service is a little slow, but friendly. The she crab soup is one of the best things on the menu, but I have never had a bad meal from here.

Visited June 2014
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was right up our alley -- fresh seafood, a great draught beer selection (including several local VA beers) and sports on tv. And the seafood was superb without costing a fortune!

I had the "Bermuda Triangle" which was sauteed shrimp, scallops and lump crab. It was seasoned perfectly to bring out the flavor without masking it. My husband got the "Boom Boom Shrimp" which was fried shrimp with a spicy sauce. It was good, but not as good as mine. We also ordered the She Crab soup which was the BEST I have ever had with large chunks of fresh crab. The crab dip appetizer was also good but not as good as the soup.

I loved that we could get this good of seafood in a casual and fun atmosphere. Remember that this is not a white tablecloth and candles type of restaurant, but if you want reasonably priced, fresh seafood I highly recommend this place.

Longview, Texas
“Great Seafood in Newport News!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My extended family and I ate on Father's Day at Harpoon Larry's in Newport News, VA. Despite the large crowd and our large party, we were seated and served quickly. My fried flounder was great. Others ate grilled tuna and custom burgers (one with a crab cake on top!). Everyone loved their food. Food was hot, cooked well, and tasty. Service was also excellent. This is our second time at Harpoon Larry's with a large party. They always treat us right!

• Visited June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Oyster Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I had never had oysters before. I sat at oyster bar and watched the guys schuck my oysters. They had a large selection of local oysters as well as oysters shipped from north and south. The atmosphere was casual and fun with reasonable prices.

• Visited May 2014