“Huge Change in Quality from Old Location” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Hampton, Virginia
“Huge Change in Quality from Old Location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Used to go to the location in Hampton very often. Went to this new location for the first time for lunch. Ordered my old winter stand-by, the Oyster Stew. The first bowl that was brought to the table only had 2 oysters in it and was only luke warm. It was underseasoned and the cream base was too thin. When I pointed out to the waitress that my Oyster Stew only had 2 oysters, she asked me what I wanted her do about it! When I said "what?" (was a little taken aback since I had not been rude myself) she then asked me if I wanted to send it back to the kitchen for more oysters. when the bowl was returned to the table it did have 4 more Oysters in the cream base, but it was still lukewarm. I suspect that Harpoon Larry's has a become a victim of its own success. It is a shame because it was a fun casual place where you could always count on decent service and well-prepared food. I think this one is going to end up as a stop off for tour buses serving large quantities of food to unsuspecting tourists at higher prices than the quality and service deserve.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Newport News, Virginia
“Fried oysters disappointing, scallops very good - a bit pricey”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Was hungry for fried oysters, so thought we'd try this place. Expected an oyster bar to use large or jumbo oysters for $18, but only one or 2 of the pieces were were even large enough that they retained juice in the center after frying. Most pieces had minimal oyster meat in them.

My wife's broiled shrimp and scallops were very good, though a bit salty. Daughter's grouper was OK, but red potatoes and vege mix were very salty.

Will not be back.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia, United States
“Used to be our weekly spot.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

At the old location in Hampton, we would eat there every Thursday. The 45+ minute wait was worth it. The new location is more out of the way, and still has horrible parking, wait times, and the menu had changed quite a bit. Still great food and atmosphere, same so-so service.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia, United States
“Food not too good at this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The meal I had was fried and not very tasty at all. I thought the appetizers were quite bad. For the price I paid, it was not worth it. Not recommended.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia
“One of the best......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Enjoyed a great dinner at the oyster bar with my daughter Jenn, and her husband Randy and the kids. The seafood was fresh, and properly prepared. Randy had a half dozen raw oysters from the bar with over a half of dozen types to choose. My steak was cooked to perfection. The place was packed, and the servers were still very attentive. Another one of our favorites.

• Visited February 2014