“great Italian food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Fresco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 366 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Italian, French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Al Fresco Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. Al Fresco Restaurant was planned with the summer in mind. An outdoor patio with a warm breeze and cold drinks are a perfect combination.
Yorktown, Virginia
“great Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is one of my favorite spots for good italian food in Newport News. Actually, one of the best in the Hampton/Newport News area. The service is great [ ask for Vinnie ], nice decor, good wine selection, and even has a screened in dining area as well. Menu is deverse enough to satisfy almost any plate' and serves a decent cocktail, mainly two mixers only. The owner is always there to answer any questions and to ensure of a pleasureable dining experience. Give this nice restaurant a try, you'll like it for your favorite Italian !

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Roanoke, Virginia
“Beautiful atmosphere for dinner or a get together!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My mother-in-law discovered this little place in the strip mall down the street from the church we got married in. We had dinner there to check it out and the service and food were both superb. We then booked my rehearsal dinner and were offered four meal choices for the guests--all fantastic dishes! They even allowed us to substitute my father-in-law's favorite special for one of the options. The rehearsal dinner went off without a hitch. The food was talked of for days and the service was fantastic and flexible even when we added a head. It took place in the glass enclosed patio room--a gorgeous backdrop to the event.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Outstanding Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had dinner at Al Fresco last week on our way to a show at the Ferguson Center; it was memorable . We have eaten there a number of times in the past, but not recently. The experience we had last week convinced us that this is the best Italian restaurant on the peninsula. The selections offered are quite broad, and the prices reasonable. Our food was outstanding and served professionally. The portions were large enough that we had lunch the next day with the left-overs. I would highly recommend Al Fresco; you won't regret it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful people and fantastic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have been there many times and we have never had a bad experience. Ronnie and Vinnie are class acts; they treat us and most of their customers like family and the food is wonderful. Many choices and always cooked perfectly; their meat sauce and their white wine sauce is unbeatable. We travel a lot and have eaten at a dozens of restaurants but Al Fresco is among the very best. If you want great food, nice atmosphere, friendly yet very capable staff, and fair prices for what you get, this is the restaurant for you.

Newport News, Virginia
“Must be missing something?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I just had lunch at Al Fresco. On entering it felt very warm, no air conditioning.The decor is very dated and old fashioned. The music was very old and depressing. Sorry to go on about the Old but the wait staff have been there a long time too.
The service was very prompt, so much so we didnt have time to look at the menu. Then we were shown the Lunch time specials, which consisted of bowls of pasta in various sauces.
We ordered from the regular menu, I chose chicken salad and my husband had a veal dish. The Veal was two very small pieces with a very thin caper (salty) sauce with plain pasta. My salad had cranberries and walnuts with regular (toms,cuc,carrots), I was given a very bland Italian dressing to put on it,which did nothing to bring out the flavor of the food. The chicken was very very thin and didnt have much taste either even though it was an orange color?
Having read the previous reviews, I was expecting so much more, like my title I say again, I must be missing something!?

• Visited September 2012