“Not what you think....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point

You added Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Omni Blvd, Newport News, VA 23606   |
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
New York City, New York
“Not what you think....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

First off, don't let OMNI BLVD fool you. This hotel is NOT in any way affiliated with the OMNI. There is a hip hop club right off the main entrance, so in order to register you had to walk through the drunks that were fighting (yes, there were 2 cop cars there on 13 July 2014).. It is also LOUD LOUD LOUD. If it is FREAKNIK 2014 you are looking for, this is your place. There is no continental breakfast, and the "COFFEE" consists of one pot that was always empty.

The room was average at best. Once I got past the dental floss left on the sink and the coffee filter and grounds left in the pot, I was able to notice that the sheets were bright white and clean.

I would NEVER go here again as it was merely average. For the price I paid, it was below average. I would imagine that a ton of the reviews are either paid sponsors, or employees..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kimberly W, Director of Sales at Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. We are sorry that your stay did not meet your standard or the standard that we try hard to set for ourselves. If you are every in the area, I invite you to give us another try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

It's amazing that my husband and I stayed at this hotel on the same day as the person who said it was dirty. We did not find it that way at all. We were on the seventh floor and while the place is not a palace we were certainly comfortable. The wallpaper dies date the place a little but we found it to be clean and the staff friendly. The restaurant was a trip. The food was tasty and we'll prepared but the service was haphazard at best and the blasting music was not appreciated during our dinner. It certainly would have been more appropriate at a nightclub later. All in all would certainly stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are happy that your were happy with you stay, and we look forward to you coming back again in the future.
newportnews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at this hotel..the room was very clean and the service was excellent..I dined in the restaurant and had some of the best food i have ever eaten. I would defiantly come again and reccommend this place to others.

• Stayed June 2014
Kimberly W, Director of Sales at Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point, responded to this review, July 14, 2014

Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Like others, I check reviews on here to get a good feel on hotels. The reviews for the most part ALL seemed positive for this hotel. My stay WAS for 7/5/14. Booked through expedia which I believe gave this hotel a 3.5 star (there are no other hotels that ive seen with a rating that high other than the Westin in Town Center). Plus this used to be the Omni so I assumed with new management that this place was going to be wonderful. Upon walking up to the hotel, you could easily see that this is an old hotel. Paint cracks/chips etc......as I get into the lobby im more thatn sure that I wasnt going to like this hotel(my standards for hotels are very high). The hotel just looked old lol. My check-in was pleasant. Although I dont remember her name, the lady behind the counter was very nice. As I get to the elevator, I start to get a little uneasy. Everything is starting to look dirty and rundown. I make it to my floor, room 801 I believe and all I can smell is cigarette smoke. I honestly felt like I was at a 1 star hotel. My room was okay. The furniture and decor was very old (something you would see out of an early 1990's movie). The bathroom was okay but I just didnt get that "clean" feeling from my room. So I went back to the front desk and the lady behind the counter asked me to try another room.....Room on the 6th floor. Again, the floor smelled of smoke (im guessing this was a smoking hotel?? Im not sure). This room didnt do it for me either, so I went back to the front desk. ( I did not get that cozy/clean feeling. I couldnt even imagain taking off my shoes and walking around on the carpet, let alone bathe in that place.) The lady was very generous towards me the entire time. She apologized and all but what got me was when she said "this was a busy weekend so our rooms probably arent as clean as they should be." Now that startled me because to me, it seemed as if she knew the rooms and stuff wasn't up to par. Luckily, she got permission to cancel my reservation and luckily for me, I found this beautiful gem of a hotel right down the street. I wont mention that name but its right in City Center on Town Center Dr. I should have known this hotel wouldnt be to my liking when I looked at the paper that my room keys came in and it states that you should be careful about who you open your door for or be careful of your surroundings or something to that effect lol......Never again will I step foot near this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kimberly W, Director of Sales at Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point, responded to this review, July 9, 2014

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret the issues you encountered. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review and make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel has almost everything a person could desire. The furnishings are nice and the bathroom is larger then the one I have at home. The indoor pool and fitness center are also awesome. The food is delicious. The only thing that they don't have that I would like is an onsite day spa.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are equipped with a mini fridge. If this is important to you, make sure you select th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Myself and my family spent a 3 day weekend at the magnuson. When we arrived the staff were lively and wasted no time welcoming us.once inside the decor was very nice. Our rooms were very clean! Smelled nice, linens were fresh. It's definitely not the omni anymore BUT comparably nice.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Dependable property.We had a late arrival and a two day stay.Great location for our purposes.The furniture is a little outdated,but overall we will stay again when in the area.We will also recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point? Share your experiences!