“Definitely not The Omni...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point

You added Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point
1000 Omni Blvd, Newport News, VA 23606   |
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
DC
“Definitely not The Omni...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at what used to be The Omni. From the outside, I can tell that the hotel was not quite up to par (landscape was terrible), but the price was cheap comparing the nearby hotels. Check-in was fast and the host was quite nice. I stayed on the 8th floor looking out toward the back parking lot. The room was clean and smelled fresh, but the furniture along with the fixtures were a little dated. Bathroom was not as clean as I expected since I can see grime on the shower wall and the edges of the tub. I was out most of the day so didn't spend too much time in the room. For the price, the room was fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kimberly W, Director of Sales at Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point, responded to this review, December 13, 2013

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret the issues you encountered. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review and make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.
While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Great Falls, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Terrible! Smelly, unclean rooms and terrible service! The restaurant was understaffed, there wasn't much food available and the waiters were very rude. The front desk manager was rude as well. Carpet was dirty. Smell of mold in our hallway and in my parents room. It was the most poorly run hotel we've ever stayed at.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Holly Springs, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We have 2 year passes for Busch Gardens and often we bring our Grandchildren at least once each season (so much that we have decided to get them passes also). We have stayed in this hotel as the Omni and as Magnuson. As the Omni we decided it was on the bottom rung of Omniscient however it wasn't terrible and it was fairly quiet when it was the Omni. The people we passed as we came and went. We had the pool to ourselves several times which was very nice. The room was ok, needed some updating but for the price it wasn't as bad as we expected. Within the past year when it changed to Magnuson we found that we do not particularly like staying here as much.

Our last stay showed us kids skateboarding into cars, people, trees. My son skateboarded when he younger and I don't really mind the skateboarding however I do mind my car getting run into and a board flying into it when someone it trying to learn to do a kick flip. Went to the lobby to find out if the could ask the boarders to go out in the empty section of the parking lot at least and could barely think because downstairs in the ballroom, club, bar or whatever is down there music was exploding up through the lobby. Trying to talk to the staff was not easy. They seemed to be enjoying all the racket.

We stepped out front at this time and watched one person yelling when a SUV drove away, others that were coming out from the downstairs area and going to cars only to come back in yelling to each other. Another group standing off to the side and their loud conversation over everyone else about who was sleeping with who was amusing but annoying. We then went back to the pool side and encountered another fighting couple with skateboarders running head long into the car that was pulling into a space.

Went to our room and listened to doors slamming, people yelling back and forth, fussing occasionally and several knocks on the door. It was also cleaner when it was the Omni. I can stand older but dirty is not good.

I might try here one more time giving them the benefit that possibly there was some event and they allowed all that was going on to disturb other guests however low price or not I will not give more than one more chance. They gotta figure out if they are a club and hangout place or a hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Lehigh Acres, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Recently I had the opportunity to stay at the Magnuson. Our stay was a delightful experience. The room was clean, quiet and the beds were so comfortable. The staff was so helpful. A funeral brought us to the area so we really needed peace and quiet. Even though they were making improvements onsite, never once did I hear any noise. The staff was so helpful with every request we had. We were there for two nights. One time as we drove off site, there was a baby fawn in the edge of the grounds. That should give you some perspective of the tranquility this site offered. We were so happy we chose this location to stay.

Room Tip: My mother is disabled. We were given a room not too far from the elevator. The door was built heav...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please come back and stay with us again the next time you are in our area.
Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We use to stay at this hotel often when it was owned/operated by OMNI. The rooms were clean and any problem you had was resolved as quickly as possible. We "stayed" at this hotel Aug 22 & 23, 2013...The first night there was no hot water for showers. We were told to let the water run for 5 or so minutes after I had to convince him that I was telling the truth - luke warm shower late at night was fine. The next morning we were moved to a new room. We moved our stuff and left for the day - BIG MISTAKE. We should have checked the room before all the managment was gone. My grandson found someone's dirty underwear under the bed, the safety latch was broken, and there was a huge blood stain on the lampshade. We complained to the night shift who said he couldn't do anything we'd have to wait until morning. I was so disgusted that we left at 10:30 that night and headed home. Don't waste your time or money. I sent an email via the "contact" section of their website and I've heard nothing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here years ago when it was the Omni. Yes it has changed. And the price of a night's stay is half of what it was at the Omni. True it is not as polished as before - but for the price I paid I can live with that. the bed was incredibly comfortable, room was clean. What else do you need? Will and am going back in a few weeks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Midlothian, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I wanted to write a review before now, but could not find this hotel listed under Omni Hotels, probably because it was being sold to become the Magnuson. However, it was the Omni when I stayed here for two nights for parents' weekend for Christopher Newport University. I sent an e-mail complaining about the room because it was not at all like it was shown on their website. It was in disrepair and it just looked old. I could tell at one point the hotel must have been lovely because of the granite countertops in the bathroom, but the carpet was dirty and torn, doors were scratched and gouged, the grout was coming up, the bed spread looked dingy and I found a roach in the bathroom. I sent an e-mail to complain with all of my return information and received a voicemail back from the manager, but when I returned the call, it went to voicemail and he never called back or followed up. He had a defensive tone in his original voicemail and said words to the effect that I must have been the only person to complain. The hotel is in a good location. My recommendation would be to call and see if this hotel has been renovated since 2012 before booking. It is has not, then go elsewhere. The two-star rating is for the location and clean towels and bed linens only at time of stay.

Room Tip: Call first to see if the hotel has been renovated since September 2012
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center at Oyster Point? Share your experiences!