“Place puts the MOFO in Mofongo!!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 387 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Latin
Hampton, Virginia
“Place puts the MOFO in Mofongo!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

If the place had a bit more ambiance, it'd be a 5-banger, becasue the food is off the charts! Hands down the best mofongo on the mainland -- just make sure you get the mofongo mixta. Haven't tried the mofongo verde, but why take a chance when the mixta is soooo delicious. Have had the pernil/carnitas, the shrimp, the chicken and the beef. In order of preference, it's a dead heat on the beef and chicken as the best, followed by the shrimp with the pernil/carnitas a distant fourth. The yucca is pure yum and so is everything else we have sampled on the menu. The salad is simply sliced lettuce and sliced tomatoes -- nothing special. The place is clean but offers, as someone aptly described, a lunch room/diner atmosphere. The music is pleasant -- not at all loud as someone said and the wait staff is very friendly and accomodating (although at times, a little forgetful). Three of us dined for $38 and we were stuffed and happy. There is no liquor license, so there was no bar charge, but I am not sure that alcohol would have made this any more enjoyable -- the food gives you a tastebud rush you won't soon forget.

• Visited November 2013

Newport News, VA
“Go For the Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Yeah, this isn't the type of place you're going to take a date. The atmosphere is diner like and the Spanish religious music that's just a little too loud doesn't help. But that's not why people love this place! The FOOD, the FOOD, the FOOD! Get the Cuban sandwich and I promise you will dream about it and you will be back for more. Service is quick and friendly!

Huntsville
“Great Latin Food in VA!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

They have a modest menu and great taste all around. Very attentive personnel and spacious area where the crowd won't bother you. Food is flavorful, Fresh and well cooked. Not over seasoned. Tostones are made on the spot and the food tastes fresh all around. Pulled Pork is one of the best I've had. Cuban Sandwich is enough to feed 3 people so be ready to share it or be stuffed. Shared two visits to this restaurant with friends and will be back next time I am in town. Well priced for the portions, Quality and freshness of their plates.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Good Authentic Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Was good to go there after all the same taste same look food we had in NN. Here is a good authentic food , taste good, and is well worth the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Gloucester, Virginia
“This was exceptional. I'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

First let me say...I'm not a fan of Mexican food. With that said...this was not Mexican it was Spanish / Latin. It was exceptional. Homemade corn and flour tortillas. Tacos that had FRESH everything. At our table, not one thing wasn't homemade. My husband had the burrito which he said was excellent. My Daughter in law had the homemade chicken tacos and she said it was the best she ever had. I enjoyed the Caribbean/Latin flair foods like Mangu and Yucca. My grandson loved the Yucca. This is the first place I've ever seen Yucca served in my area. I love it! They did it up just right. The menu is a delight. The prices are reasonable and the service was exceptional.
I was surprised that it wasn't packed. It has to be because people don't know they are there. If I'm going to eat Spanish or Latin ...it's going to be here. I drove 40 minutes just to try it. It was well worth the trip to Newport News from North Gloucester!
It is a family environment so they don't serve alcohol, however, they serve out of the ordinary beverages that I've never seen in a restaurant. We tasted several and I went for the Passion Fruit one. yum. Afterall, it's the food that makes a restaurant. This one is great!

• 4 of 5 stars Food