“Good authentic Spanish food, great service and reasonable prices.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Pena Horeb

La Pena Horeb
13633 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, VA
757-969-5916
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 389 restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Latin
“Good authentic Spanish food, great service and reasonable prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I was craving REAL Spanish food so my fiancé and I came here for a late lunch. I ordered what is usually a breakfast dish (mangú) and it was excellent. Fiancé had the Cuban sandwich and he really enjoyed it. Although I have not had many of their dishes my friends always talk about how much they enjoy whatever they order. We are all Spanish and all from NY so we really appreciate authentic Spanish food. I think they search Dominican, P. Rican and some Mexican. The service the other day was excellent. The young lady who searved us went over the menu and gave suggestions. Very attentive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
Yorktown, Virginia
“Very large servings for a good price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stopped in during the evening with a few friends and enjoyed the experience. My first impression was one of a fairly new and clean restaurant. Seating was open so we picked a nice table and were quickly greeted. I will say that the ladies behind the counter and waiting the tables were not the typical iPhone addicted teens but instead were cheerful and hardworking ladies apparently of Spanish heritage. This was great since the menu was focused on Dominican, Mexican, and Puerto Rican food!

Appetizers range from $1.99 to $5.50 while drinks are $2-3 and include interesting selections such as Horchata, Tamarindo, and even a Tropical Drink (orange juice with evaporated milk). And yes, they have soda and tea also. There are five kids meals to choose from that are each $4.99.

And the selection of regular meals is just wonderful: enchiladas, fajitas, Caribbean plates, mofongos, and heck - even Cuban sandwiches! Meals run from $7.99 through $14.99 with most being around $8-11. And did I mention that the servings are just huge!

The really nice thing about this particular restaurant is the fact that in 45 years of eating I have never visited one that has so many new foods to try at a fair price in a somewhat authentic setting. There is no doubt that we will visit again in a few weeks or so and I would have no hesitation recommending this restaurant to friends or family.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newport News, Virginia
“Our 1st time definitely won't be our last!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We ate there today for the 1st time, but it definitely won't be our last!! We both got Cuban sandwiches, and we should've gotten one and split it - it was big, and with the amount of juicy pulled pork they put on it, it was all either of us could handle. Fantastic food & fantastic service - what else could you ask for?

• Visited August 2012