“Nice hotel, fairly busy” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Dickerson, Maryland
“Nice hotel, fairly busy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

No complaints about the room that are major; I stayed in 227 for one night and was quite comfortable, but the door stop next to the wall had popped out of the floor and was just sitting there. (Picture provided.) That and other minor nits make me give them 4*s rather than 5. I got here a bit after 2:00, admittedly before the check in time of 3:00 and had to wait a bit for a room - I saw a couple other folks also waiting and noted other reviews commenting on this. The hotel seemed to be full and is in a busy location, which makes this understandable, but it may be something for the staff to consider whether they can make any systemic changes to alleviate it as a possible problem (I sympathize with the guy that commented on sleeping in the lounge after arriving early from a night flight). Since I'm here on a government rate, I was supposed to have breakfast included, but didn't get any information on it when I checked in; I also wasn't recognized as a platinum level IHG Rewards member. Finally, there are still signs outside for an Italian restaurant that appears to have closed and been replaced by a different one; the closure is noted in reviews of the former restaurant on Trip Advisor. Nothing that is a real show stopper for an overnight stay on a business trip, but stuff that might be worth them keeping an eye on.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
David J, Manager at Holiday Inn Newport News, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Eric B

Thank you so much for your business. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, but are sorry that we didn't do anything to stand out specifically. The issues that you experienced will be addressed. We appreciate your valuable feedback and hope to see you again the next time you're in the area!

Thanks again for your great review and your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

First thing that happened upon check in was that a negative comment was made about my home state. So rude! This was my first visit to New Port News, but i would never make a comment about your city based on all the negative things I've read online. People from West Virginia have better manners than that. The hotel itself was nice, clean, and quiet.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
David J, Manager at Holiday Inn Newport News, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Robin,

We apologize for the first impression you received upon check-in. Rest assured that this is not tolerated and will be addressed immediately. We value business from every part of the globe. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we're so glad you enjoyed the rest of your experience.
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

This hotel was well located to my business in Oyster Point Business park. I was a late arrival but my room was ready, clean, and quiet. The staff was friendly and accommodating and would return here anytime I'm back in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
David J, Manager at Holiday Inn Newport News, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with us. We pride ourselves on service and having a clean establishment. Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you when you're back in Newport News
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I traveled with my Wife for our Annual Church District Conference,we ended up staying 4 minutes from hotel where conference was being held..Well i thought for sure we had gotten lesser lodging...how wrong i was... Wow ! this hotel is so well taken care of, night & day desk check-in ladies : Dametria & Tarnisha were so very pleasant and professional,i like to name people, thanks to :Aundrea breakfast hostess,Mary & Michelle C. for our wonderful housekeeping,Chief engineer Will who was working steadily but took time to speak to me and was so engaging in our conversation,also Dan Cullinan who was making his rounds stopped to make sure i was pleased with service and was there anything else i wanted or needed..well where i come from that is GOOD WONDERFUL SERVICE !.. 10+ on overall service and Professionalism !

Room Tip: Just ask for Ms Tarnisha Banks front office Mgr.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
I cannot thank you enough for staying with us writing such a wonderful 5-star review of our Holiday Inn! It is fantastic to hear that you love our service. We're so glad our staff made such impact on you. We are flattered that you think so well of us and look forward to having you back in our home.
Washington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I booked a 3-star hotel through Hotwire and was assigned this hotel. This is a nice, clean hotel, located just off I-64. The lobby is nicely appointed, the elevators and the interior corridors are clean. The room was very nice, with attention to detail:
1. HVAC controlled by a digital thermostat on the wall with an auto or fan on option.
2. Round glass table with nice ice bucket and 4 glass old-fashion glasses (nice touch).
3. Flat screen TV with HD programming and the ability to order PPV movies, plus a DVD/VCR combo attached so that you can watch your own movies (I didn't try it, though).
3. Refrigerator/Microwave combo (no freezer, though).
4. Single-cup coffee maker with signature coffees. In addition to foam cups, there are 2 ceramic mugs (another nice touch).
5. Pillow-top double beds with 2 firm and 2 soft pillows.
6. Large work desk with mesh executive chair.
7. Large & comfortable easy chair.
8. Large clean bathroom with Holiday Inn/Holiday In Express signature shower head.

While breakfast is not included, $5.00 extra gets you breakfast for up to 2 adults and 2 children. The breakfast is in the Italian restaurant, which is a part of the hotel. This is a much better set-up than most hotels, as waitresses seat you, take your drink order and clear your table (don't forget to tip them for their service!) and you eat with real plates and silverware. The hot bar is served out of Chaffing Dishes and the food is good quality. The day we were there, they had the following: Scrambled eggs with cheese, fresh cooked bacon, hash browns, fresh cut fruit (honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon & pineapple), yogurt, grits, link sausage, pancakes, waffle station and various danishes and bread. For other meals, there are only a few restaurant choices on J Clyde Morris Blvd., but there are many choices a few miles away on Jefferson Ave.

They have an indoor pool, but no Jacuzzi. The pool is open from 6am-11pm and temperature was posted at 75*. There were no towels at the pool the morning I swam. Luckily, I noticed that before I got in the pool. I had to go to the front desk to request one. There is also an adjacent workout room with treadmill, stationary bike, free weights and weight bench.

The only issue during my stay was with the young man that checked me in. He must have been new, as he gave me wrong information. Luckily, the other person at the front desk was more knowledgeable and corrected him. He gave me wrong pool times and didn't know about the breakfast offer. Furthermore, after I paid the $5 in cash for breakfast at check-in, he charged it to my room. So, my Express Check-out, which is slid under the door during the night, showed that I had a $5 balance, which was charged to my credit card. This meant that I had to go to the front desk to get it corrected.

I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
David J, Manager at Holiday Inn Newport News, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you so much for such a wonderful description of our home! We look forward to seeing you again when you're in Newport News!
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Tried to check in at 9:00 am. Slept in the lobby for three hours. Slept on the parking lot for another three hours from 12:00 til 3:00. I told the front desk manager that my husband was really sick from a dialysis treatment. She wasn't able to help get us in a room. She said we can wait in the lobby if we want. I never want to stay at another Holiday Inn. I would rather pay more and be treated with dignity.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your time. We sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced while you were in our home. Rest assure what you experienced will be passed on for discussion so we can avoid disappointing a guest in our home. We really appreciate all of your feedback. We strive to provide superior customer service. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again when you're in Newport News.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

As truck drivers we stay at lots of Holiday Inns. Doug was great, after a very long day of driving, he made check in a beeeze. Also was very helpful telling about best local pizza & all of our other needs. Thanks Doug for a welcoming face after a long day.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback. Although everything you mentioned in your review you will experience at our property we have to give credit where credit is due. This belongs to the Holiday Inn Express in Newport News. I personally know Doug and the management and I will ensure that they will see your feedback. Good job Doug!!!!!

Been to Holiday Inn Newport News? Share your experiences!