“no whistles or bells,” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Newport News

You added Motel 6 Newport News to your Saves list
Motel 6 Newport News
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   797 J Clyde-Morris Boulevard, I-64 at Exit #258-A/US 17, Newport News, VA 23601   |
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Hallieford
“no whistles or bells,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

this inn is convenient to the interstate highway and busy rt. 17. it's been a knights inn before. when you book motel 6 you don't expect hilton standards so you won't be disappointed here.
no room amenities; pool out of order; some questionable traffic in and out but i'd stay there again if traveling alone. the front desk people should attend a service class or even a "smile and say thank you" class.

Room Tip: drive thru first to check out any activity and rooms that people are congregating outside and refuse...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Over the years we have stayed at this hotel, because we have pets. I have to say this was the worst stay at any hotel we have ever had. When we arrived to our room, we noticed some shady people hanging out in the parking lot, and where we had been driving for over 5 hours we just wanted to go to bed. After we got into the room and got our animals settled. I decided to go into the bathroom, when I closed the door, I was shocked to see the back of the bathroom door was damaged. There was a whole in on the back of the door that was around 6 inches in length and it was not sanded or panted over, the whole bottom of the door was also damaged, as well as the door frame was also damaged. It was disgusting, that this hotel would sell a room like this.

While still in the bath room I looked to my right and noticed that where the wall of the shower and the tub met there was a black line about 3/4 of the way across. This really upset me and where it was after 9pm at night there was nothing that anyone could do. I called the front desk and told them what we found and they said that the manager will contact us in the morning.

At around 9am I called the front desk and asked if the manager was available and they said they were not available. I let them know what I found in the bathroom and in the shower, I also let them know that when I went to turn down the bed spread that there was nastiness all over it. They said they would come and replace it and scrub the bathroom down, they also needed to clean the mirror over the sink because it was nasty as well. They said they would be just a few minutes. 20 Minutes later they final showed up and clean the mess, and put on a new bed covering. I again asked for the manager and was told they were unavailable.

We left to run a few errands and visit family. We came back a few hours later to take our dog out, and then we went to get dinner. We came back from dinner and went to bed, at around 1 am early Sunday morning there was a loud fight going on in front of our room as well as someone running up and down in front of the room and hitting the air conditioners. I called the front desk about what was going on and they did not seem to give a crap that there guest where being harassed. I told them if they did not do something I was going to call the police. This behavior outside of our room continues for a few more minutes. I finally had enough I called the lobby back and let them know that we have had enough and that I am going to say something and that I was going to put the phone down and tell them to stop. I opened our door and let these nut cased know to stop their behavior or I was going to call the police, one of the nut cases said whatever! I told them if they did not stop I was going to call the police. I them shut the door and let the person on the phone know that I wanted the manager to contact me in the morning.

When the morning arrived the manager again was not available, same old crap. Unfortunately because we already paid for the room and I asked if they would refund for Sunday night because we wanted to leave. We were told that they would not refund us for Sunday night and I asked why, and they told me that the manager said that they would not refund us for Sunday, and that he raillery refunds any guest even when it's the hotels fault and not the customers fault. This is so messed up. So we had no choice to stay in this nasty hotel, with a manager/owner that did not seem to care about their customers. All they seemed to care about what themselves.

I also plan on filing a complaint with the corporate office of this hotel chain, and well as letting everyone that I know. To not stay at this hotel, because it is nasty, some of the staff where rude, and the manager/owner does not seem to care about anyone but themselves.

As I stated in the beginning “Turn around and Run from this Hotel" The new manager/owner or whatever they call themselves needs a major reality check. I also stated above that we have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and have never had any problems. I can tell you this I will never stay at this hotel ever again.

There is a new hotel that they are working on about 10 minutes away and it only cost about $10.00 per night to stay there, they have continental breakfast, clean rooms, nice staff, allow pets and a manager that seems to care about their customers concerns.

Sincerely
Never staying at the Motel 6 in Newport News Virginia or any Motel 6 ever again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were trying to find a place to live in Newport News with our five month old daughter so we were staying here for a month! We paid the weekly rates! The cleaning people would knock once and open or try to open the door! When they come in they would hand you the stuff and look around then you would have to clean the room yourself so I put the do not disturb sign on the door and the manager's wife would take the sign and knock then open the door then she would tell you the trash goings in the dumpster! Then she would tell you the place is a mess and you need to clean it. Then she kicked us out when we called the head of the motel and told us to never come back! Don't worry I will not stay there any more to much problems. They need to wait until someone says something before walking in.

• Stayed September 2012
Martinsburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have stayed at the motel 6 before but this was just ridiculous. First the AC didnt want to come on, then room smelled, and there was a big hole in the wall, the bathroom was just nasty, the carpet was just dirty. When I asked to change rooms I was told because, I wanted smoking this is what they had. and I dare i say it had bugs!

Room Tip: dont use this location
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Wilson, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Although they boast about free wifi and clean rooms, they provide neither. The front desk staff insisted that their router was next to my room but I still wasn't able to connect. Then they asked me to bring my laptop to the front desk and still I was unable to get connected. To make a long story short their router tried to have my computer reconfigure the settings and this created a big problem with my anti-spy ware and anti-virus. The room was not keep up to any standard that deserves more than a failing grade. upon arrival I found hair in the tube and on the rest room floor. I took a picture of them and to my surprise, or not really too surprised , when I returned the next day after work both hairs were still there. When I informed the front desk about the matter I was quickly informed that the housekeeping staff was off work and nothing could be done. Not the response that I was looking for or expected.

Room Tip: chose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Winchester, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

They must have done major clean up. Both times we were there in two different rooms the rooms were clean. Non-smoking room was just that. When you pay the price they are asking for don't expect a Five Star.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. These other reports were obviously written before they did the improvements. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I hadn't stayed at a Motel 6 in a long time, and I don't think I ever will again, given my experience at Newport News. I wasn't expecting great things with the cheap price. What I was expecting was a clean place to stay--I didn't get it. I read on the website that this motel was supposed to have been "refreshed." I would hate to see a stale Motel 6! My room was supposed to be non-smoking, but it smelled of old smoke and bad air freshener. The carpeting had mysterious spots and hadn't been vacuumed very well. When I took a towel and wiped out the bathtub, there were more mysterious dark spots. The staff seemed overwhelmed when I tried to check in at 5 pm, saying that no rooms were ready yet. The cleaning crew was wheeling their supplies around in Food Lion grocery carts. At sundown, there were sketchy looking people hanging out on the hoods of their cars in the parking lot. Oh, and no alarm clock!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Newport News? Share your experiences!