“great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 37 hotels in Newport News
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here for one week and I dont have any problem styaing here in this hotel. clean and comfortable rooms. The staff is helpful and friendly. The only complaint I have is the t.v it is so small but other than that it was awesum

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Patrick P, General Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest:

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 757 249 8355.

219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Culpeper
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was on vacation with family for a family reunion. The staff was very rude, upon checking in, my husband has a foreign name, I was told that they had to look out for terrorist, drug dealers and prostitutes. I said, what kind of place is this? That this sounds like racial profiling to me. The smell of the inside was of a giant cat litter box. I asked what was the smell but received no answer. At this point, I was ready to leave; but,I stayed anyway because I was glad to see my family. The beds were sinking in the middle, as if there was a hole in the middle of them,it was very visual from just looking at the bed; we complained and was promised to move but to no avail. My daughter went to get a soda out of the machine, they were 2.00 a piece, I gave her a five dollars, she purchased two sodas. When the machine did not give her back the change, she went to the front desk and the older lady was working at that time, she explained that the machine did not give her back her change; at this time, she was asked by the staff member was she trying to steal the sodas. I was very outraged with her comment. I told my daughter, never mind, let them have the dollar if they needed it that bad. The last straw was when this ghetto black woman came on shift at midnight. This staff member started a argument with someone that was on our floor. We were woke up out of our sleep. That was it, I could not take anymore. If that was not enough, when we were going outside, this same ghetto black woman that was suppose to work there called two car loads of people to come down and fight whoever she started the argument with. This place was very unprofessional and I did not feel safe for my family. I would not recommend for anyone to stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Patrick P, General Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 757 249 8355.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I recently spent 5 nights at this Microtel. The staff, especially Patrick, are very friendly and will do anything to make your stay enjoyable. The location is close to numerous restaurants and shopping malls. The room (I had a room with 2 queen beds) although not spacious, was more than adequate. The room was serviced each day not later than noon. Pros: Great price, great location, clean, great staff, and the fastest Wi-Fi I have ever experienced at a hotel/motel. Cons:
Mattress a little soft for my taste, TV too small and mounted in a poor location, continental breakfast could offer more variety. Overall a very nice place to stay - but would recommend making reservations on the internet as you will find great rates!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Patrick P, General Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013

Newport News, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I am sadly disappointed in my stay at Microtel for several reasons.

1) First and foremost, I am very disturbed that Pest Control (along with a hotel employee) knocked at my door and were letting themselves in the room. I was asleep with the television on (to kill the noise) so I didn't hear them til they were starting to open the door. Thankfully, I had the latch over the door. Otherwise, they would have just let themselves right on in.

2) Either you're smelling the smell of whatever is in the room (fruity-smelling cleanser to cover smoke, mold smell in the bathroom) or you open your window to let fresh air come in the room and attempt to air it out. Well, that doesn't work. Because people stand outside smoking and it fills the room. It would have been more considerate if they were to stand outside on the ends of the hotel where there are no hotel windows that can be opened.

3) We had a pretty heavy rain during one of the days I was staying here. During the day that it rained, there was water leaking in the window sill. (No worries, the windows were closed.) I had to put a towel down so it didn't soak my belongings.

4) Upon checking in, I was looking for the luggage cart. (I typically do not use one, but on this particular day, I was very exhausted and not feeling well.) After taking several loads up the elevator, thankfully, I still looked around for the cart. It was being used by an employee hotel to haul stuff around. I understand the need for using it, but if you knew there were a ton of people just checking in, it would be professional courtesy to offer it to them first.

5) Maybe it was because I was not feeling well, but upon checking in there was a very obnoxious "guest" I'm assuming, in the lobby, on the cell phone, extremely loud. It was disturbing to me. However, after being here for a quite a few days, it appears there are quite a few people who linger in the small hotel lobby, (on the internet, at the table, or watching tv) I guess I've never encountered this before. I don't know if they are guests or are locals.

6) And lastly, the water pressure in the shower was very low. The hot water was lukewarm. And the handle on the bathtub was all out-of-sorts.

The only thing that was good about this stay was the price. I paid $36/night with a special offer from Wyndham. I didn't try the breakfast, so I can't comment on this. I am thankful that most days I was gone until evening, to avoid being in the hotel the entire day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Microtel Inn & Suites Newport News

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Newport News Airport? Share your experiences!