I booked a 2-star Secret Hot Rate through Hotwire and was assigned this Extended Stay. I usually book a 3-star, but since it was just my son & I, I took the cheaper route. I booked a room for 1 adult and 1 child expecting to get 2 beds. The room has 1 queen bed, instead. This is a exterior entrance motel vs the other Extended Stay 4 miles away, which is an interior entrance hotel.
Our room was smaller than standard hotel rooms. The hotel is very basic and is more like an apartment building than a hotel. During our 1-night stay, here are some observations:
1. As advertised, there was a flat-screen TV, but the reception is analog and our TV only had 24 stations available - half of which were 24-hour news and sports channels. There was also no channel guide in the room or on the TV.
2. There was no shampoo or hair dryer in the bathroom. There was also no exhaust fan. Strangely, there was baby powder on the back of the bathroom door and in the corner by the tub (poor cleaning).
3. The "Grab & Go" breakfast is just that. The sign says "Lobby", but it is just a small office for check-in. There is a hutch that is opened for breakfast. It contains, 2 kinds of packaged granola bars, packaged muffins, fresh whole oranges & apples and 3 types of coffee. There are no tables in the office, so you have to take it back to your room.
4. There is free wifi, but is is terrible! I clocked it at .51 mbps, much slower than the 3g on my phone, so I just used my network. They also ask for you full name and room number in order to sign in. There is an upgraded speed available for a fee.
On the positive side:
1. As advertised, there is a 14.4 cu ft refrigerator/freezer and a 2-burner stove top in addition to a microwave and coffee maker. There are pots/pans, utensils, silverware and plates/cups; however I would suggest thoroughly washing them prior to use. There is also a vinyl recliner in the room.
2. The HVAC has a digital thermostat and the fan has auto & on settings.
3. There are 2 pillows for each person. One firm and one soft.
Interestingly, the local news had a story on the other Extended Stay, I-64 Jefferson Ave, which is around 4 miles away. There was a police stand-off that morning. There was a "suspected fugitive" staying there, whom they stated was "armed and dangerous". He surrendered after 1.5 hours.
I do not recommend this property for families staying in the Williamsburg/Newport News area.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Extended Stay, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Extended Stay Newport News
- Extended Stayamerica Newport News
- Newport News Extended Stay