You added Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Washington, North Carolina
“Not Up To Par”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I booked a 2-star Secret Hot Rate through Hotwire and was assigned this Extended Stay. I usually book a 3-star, but since it was just my son & I, I took the cheaper route. I booked a room for 1 adult and 1 child expecting to get 2 beds. The room has 1 queen bed, instead. This is a exterior entrance motel vs the other Extended Stay 4 miles away, which is an interior entrance hotel.

Our room was smaller than standard hotel rooms. The hotel is very basic and is more like an apartment building than a hotel. During our 1-night stay, here are some observations:

1. As advertised, there was a flat-screen TV, but the reception is analog and our TV only had 24 stations available - half of which were 24-hour news and sports channels. There was also no channel guide in the room or on the TV.

2. There was no shampoo or hair dryer in the bathroom. There was also no exhaust fan. Strangely, there was baby powder on the back of the bathroom door and in the corner by the tub (poor cleaning).

3. The "Grab & Go" breakfast is just that. The sign says "Lobby", but it is just a small office for check-in. There is a hutch that is opened for breakfast. It contains, 2 kinds of packaged granola bars, packaged muffins, fresh whole oranges & apples and 3 types of coffee. There are no tables in the office, so you have to take it back to your room.

4. There is free wifi, but is is terrible! I clocked it at .51 mbps, much slower than the 3g on my phone, so I just used my network. They also ask for you full name and room number in order to sign in. There is an upgraded speed available for a fee.

On the positive side:

1. As advertised, there is a 14.4 cu ft refrigerator/freezer and a 2-burner stove top in addition to a microwave and coffee maker. There are pots/pans, utensils, silverware and plates/cups; however I would suggest thoroughly washing them prior to use. There is also a vinyl recliner in the room.

2. The HVAC has a digital thermostat and the fan has auto & on settings.

3. There are 2 pillows for each person. One firm and one soft.

Interestingly, the local news had a story on the other Extended Stay, I-64 Jefferson Ave, which is around 4 miles away. There was a police stand-off that morning. There was a "suspected fugitive" staying there, whom they stated was "armed and dangerous". He surrendered after 1.5 hours.

I do not recommend this property for families staying in the Williamsburg/Newport News area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank usc33
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for posting such a detailed review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our fully equipped kitchen useful during your stay; however, I am disappointed to hear of the cleanliness issues in your bathroom. I will be meeting with my housekeeping staff to review cleanliness standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. As well, I am sorry that your room and our amenities did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me directly, at nno@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I have been staying at the Extended Stay America-Oyster Point for a while. Tameka Johnson, who is the property manager is probably to most understanding, easy going and professional person I have met in a while. Anything I have needed or any problems I have had, she has dealt with it. Are there people here with questionable backgrounds? Yes. But in all fairness to the staff here, they don't do background checks or interviews before renting a room. This is a hotel. And, you will get those illiterate losers who smoke in non-smoking rooms. Ask for another room if it bothers you that bad. The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, as is the maintenance guy and housekeepers. I laughed extremely hard when I read some of these complaints. First off, this is not even close to a bad part of Newport News, you should visit the East End, and the exterior does not smell anything like grease and fried chicken. There are some people who will lie and say that certain things happen when they actually don't. That is someone trying to get something for free. Are there issues from time to time? Absolutely. But again, they are immediately dealt with. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are usually the best rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison Q
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Alison - The team and I truly appreciate your kind remarks regarding your experience at our hotel. We thank you for letting us know that our customer service has been top notch. I am always happy to hear that my team has gone above and beyond to make a guest feel comfortable and give them that "home away from home" feel. Reading your informative review will hopefully give potential guests an accurate description of our area and surroundings as we are close to so many dining and entertainment options.

Thank you again for your kind words!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

One word is sufficient to describe this place: disgusting. Scary would also work. As in make sure your door is locked and sellable items aren't visible in your car kind of scary. Obviously the parent company has forgotten about this location because this location is not representative of the usually reliable Extended Stay America brand. The photos of generic Extended Stay America rooms featured in the brochures in the lobby depict a completely different image and standards than what you find at this location. Peeling exterior room numbers, lobby that could be used for an investigation scene in an episode of Law and Order, a room that looked too reminiscent of grungy motel rooms in murder or drug-related movies, and an exterior environment that reeked of grease and fried chicken (Popeye's is located next door). The carpet in room 228 was stained and appeared sticky with who knows what (shoes were not removed for fear of contracting some kind of weird ailment), crumbs were on the counter and in the cabinets, the arm chair looked like it was gnawed on by a wild animal, there were mystery drilled (?) holes on top of the dresser/tv stand, the bedding looked like a perfect breeding ground for bed bugs so I pulled the sheets back to check for any visible signs of pests, and the exterior door and door frame was flimsy (Seriously?). At the point, my husband and I had spent about a total of 20 minutes in the room. Those 20 minutes were spent checking for bugs, seeing if clear water came out of the faucets, exchanging glances of disbelief and tight smiles, and booking a hotel room somewhere else. We thought about powering through by spending as little time as possible, purchasing some Chlorox wipes and hand sanitizer, and securing the door by heaving our heavy bags to in front of the door. Then thought about all of the other hotels in the area that would love our business and not feel like an extra in an episode of Criminal Minds. The front desk associate was apologetic and explained that she did not have the authority to refund the hotel charge but said she would make a note to have the manager (Tameika) call the number on file in the morning. Three days have passed without a call. Surprising based on knowing the Extended Stay America brand but not surprising given the experience so far. For a few dollars more you can get a clean and safe hotel that understands service.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mcheleac
Elkridge, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This hotel barely qualifies as a place to stay. The rooms are filthy when you check in. The carpets are dirty and are sticky. There are crumbs on the plates, cabinets, and throughout the kitchenette. The fluent it is in need on cleaning. There is a draft from the exterior door. The parking lot is loud and the area does not feel safe.

My wife and I spent our 29 minutes in the room finding a new hotel.

48 hours later we have yet to hear from the manger, Tameka Johnson. We are demanding a refund and were told we would be contacted.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Mike W
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I apologize that you were not pleased with the cleanliness of our hotel. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleaning standards and procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your experience and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I would like to thank the staff at the Extended Stay America, 11708 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA. My visit with the wonderful staff, at the outstanding hotel, was a terrific experience the staff must be complimented. Sometimes we shouldn't mention names, because for sure, we will leave someone out. However, Fenne, Juanita, and there were three other ladies, names I can not remember, must know, how well they are doing their job.

As you are aware, it is not often business staff are given kudos. The staff most often hears about the negatives. This review is posted in order to share all over the US, the positives. "Please read on".

The staff were on point, all questions were answered and there were no issues to deal with. The stay was very pleasant. Anytime the young ladies were addressed at the office, they were able to help immediately, professionally and extremely on point. I appreciate you ladies. I believe that one should give "honor, where honor is due". I did not want for anything. I was given the "Red Carpet" treatment.

Juanita, Fenne and the other ladies, I want to thank you so much for you kindness and care. I will be back, a pleasant extended stay. You are doing a wonderful job and I appreciate you. I appreciate the way, you made me feel comfortable during my stay. I appreciate your kindness, you professionalism, and your helpfulness along the way. I truly hated to depart!!

Keep up the good work, I will send many your way, as you have made a wonderful impact on the hotel business, and with the summer coming, people need to know that you ladies are wonderful, committed and will go completely out of your way to make sure YOUR guests are taken good care of. Thank you for your kindness it is Greatly Appreciated!

Way to Go!!!!!!!

Dr. Hofler

Room Tip: 1st floor if possible, easy in easy out. Trust me, whatever decision you make, you will not be disa...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re happy to learn that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I recently ended my six-month stay at the hotel to recommend it for any short-term visitors to the Hampton Roads area. The hotel is convenient to shops and restaurants along Jefferson Avenue. Moreover, I never encountered any major issues with fellow hotel guests or staff during my stay at the hotel considering I was a single female. I received a discounted rate during my time at the hotel to reasonable live within budget while I participated in an internship located in Norfolk, Virginia.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground level
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Tamaria – I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our location and our staff. As well, I am happy that we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay at an affordable rate. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hotel has a great rate for lengthy stays. I used my companies corporate lodging card (CLC) and it was easy. They only clean your room once a week, be prepared to clean off your bed and kitchen top if you want them to place new sheets on it or clean. If not they will leave a courteous note stating they didn't want to disturb your belongings. The door to your room doesn't have a great seal, we experienced cold air seeping through the entire door when it was down below freezing (one draw back).

Front office closes at 11:00 PM as an fyi. Also none of the dishes or kitchen items are washed before or after each guest, that is left up to the occupant of the room, so keep mind of that! The walls are thin, you can hear the people next door if they talk loud or have the TV on. If you are on the first floor you can certainly hear stomping from rooms above (Their is a dog in the room above ours and the owners seem to never be their much so the dog is constantly playing around and you can hear the constant stomping, whether its during the day or late at night when you want to sleep.

They have a simple breakfast in the front office from 7:00 AM till 9:30 AM. It is comprised of coffee, hot water for coco/oatmeal/hot tea, Quaker oatmeal bars, granola bars, packaged muffins and fruit. The hotel also has washers and dryers, $2.00 to use each machine, $4.00 total.

It's near the south side entrance of the Oyster Point area, walking distance from several food joints and a Pop-eyes next door.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex_W_Williams
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Alex - Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our location and our grab-and-go breakfast. Still, I apologize for the issues you encountered with your door seal and the noise coming from neighboring rooms. Your feedback will be very helpful as we continuously work to improve our hotel.

Although our front desk closes at 11pm, our staff is available at any time and can be reached using the lobby phone, should you need them in the future. Thank you again for your review. We would love to see you again should your travels bring you back to our area.