“Good value w/ Wonderful staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11708 Jefferson Ave, Newport News, VA 23606   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Newport News
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good value w/ Wonderful staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I recently ended my six-month stay at the hotel to recommend it for any short-term visitors to the Hampton Roads area. The hotel is convenient to shops and restaurants along Jefferson Avenue. Moreover, I never encountered any major issues with fellow hotel guests or staff during my stay at the hotel considering I was a single female. I received a discounted rate during my time at the hotel to reasonable live within budget while I participated in an internship located in Norfolk, Virginia.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground level
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Tamaria – I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our location and our staff. As well, I am happy that we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay at an affordable rate. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hotel has a great rate for lengthy stays. I used my companies corporate lodging card (CLC) and it was easy. They only clean your room once a week, be prepared to clean off your bed and kitchen top if you want them to place new sheets on it or clean. If not they will leave a courteous note stating they didn't want to disturb your belongings. The door to your room doesn't have a great seal, we experienced cold air seeping through the entire door when it was down below freezing (one draw back).

Front office closes at 11:00 PM as an fyi. Also none of the dishes or kitchen items are washed before or after each guest, that is left up to the occupant of the room, so keep mind of that! The walls are thin, you can hear the people next door if they talk loud or have the TV on. If you are on the first floor you can certainly hear stomping from rooms above (Their is a dog in the room above ours and the owners seem to never be their much so the dog is constantly playing around and you can hear the constant stomping, whether its during the day or late at night when you want to sleep.

They have a simple breakfast in the front office from 7:00 AM till 9:30 AM. It is comprised of coffee, hot water for coco/oatmeal/hot tea, Quaker oatmeal bars, granola bars, packaged muffins and fruit. The hotel also has washers and dryers, $2.00 to use each machine, $4.00 total.

It's near the south side entrance of the Oyster Point area, walking distance from several food joints and a Pop-eyes next door.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Alex - Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our location and our grab-and-go breakfast. Still, I apologize for the issues you encountered with your door seal and the noise coming from neighboring rooms. Your feedback will be very helpful as we continuously work to improve our hotel.

Although our front desk closes at 11pm, our staff is available at any time and can be reached using the lobby phone, should you need them in the future. Thank you again for your review. We would love to see you again should your travels bring you back to our area.
Chantilly, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I do NOT advise any parents visiting Christopher Newport University to stay at this hotel. My Non-smoking room smell like cigarettes, items in room were broken (including the toilet) and staff was not service orientated. I would recommend paying a little more and staying at the Marriott that is advertised on the CNU website.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Carla - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize that you reserved a non-smoking room that smelled like smoke and items were in need a repair. Please know, our maintenance staff is looking into these issues and are working to correct them immediately. I am also coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service moving forward.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future so we can show you our enhanced efforts.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We recently moved from Northern New Jersey to Newport News, Va. Unfortunately, the house we would be moving in was still under renovation and, we were told, would not be ready for another week. We booked for a week at this place because it is convenient and an easy on and off from main road. At the end of the week, we had to add 3 more days because the finishing work at the house was not yet done. There was no problem extending our stay.

Unlike hotels we have been to, there are no daily maid service at this place (maid service is available after 8 days of stay). However, anytime I needed fresh towels or bed linens, all I had to do is to ask the front desk and I got them. The room we had is clean and does not smell, unlike what some reviewers' experienced. The A/C, microwave oven, TV and fridge all worked well. No complains there. I would have given them a 5 star, but I deducted 1 because the first time we toasted bread using their supplied toaster, the room filled with smoke (Oh goodness!). It did not even toast the bread correctly, it was burned on one side and not toasted on the other. All in all, I believe that the management and staff are trying hard to please their customers and in my case, they did well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Floriam - Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am so glad that we were able to provide you with a place to stay while you waited for renovations on your home to be completed. As well, it is great to read that you liked our hotel's location and the amenities we had to offer. Still, I do apologize that the toaster in your room did not work properly. Please know, we will exchange this for a working model.

Thank you again for your kind words. We hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.
Thurmont, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Lucky for my wife and I we only stayed the night as the list of issues was long. The odor wasn't too strong that we didn't get use to it after an hour or so. Stains on the carpet and the wall, the night stand looked like it had sat out in the rain and the pressed wood composite was starting to expand, the cushion chair while looking nice was a grocery store under the cushion with all the food. Certainly not worth the price I paid. Waiting to see if the bed bug treatment that was done in the room we stayed in worked. Found dead bed bugs from the treatment that was performed sometime prior to our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. To uphold our company's high standards, we will make sure that the chairs in the rooms are being checked on a regular basis and I do apologize that it was not checked before your arrival. I do have rooms here that are renovated and have new furniture as well so hopefully if you are passing through you can give us another try to make it right. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town. Thank you again for your feedback.
Fairfax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am very particular about the comfort of a bed and pillow. Not having a good bed or pillow can ruin the whole hotel experience for me, whether it costs a lot of a little. This place was a dump, cheap, definitely needs a coat (or two) of paint, but has the best bed and pillow I have had in a hotel in a very long time. After they put me in a smoking room (a reformed smoker I am, and let me tell you it stank), they moved us to a non-smoking room. We slept like babies. So, if you're looking for a good nights sleep, something cheap and you don't care what it looks like, this is the place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am happy to hear that you love our new bedding and pillows while staying with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the overall appearance of our building was a disappointment to you.

We are continuing to make improvements company wide so look out for new additions. Thanks
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you are not familiar with the area, this hotel is located in a rougher area of NPN. Sirens could be heard at all hours of the day. I didn't feel unsafe in my room though and the parking lot was well lit.

It's an older property, which could use lots of maintenance. The room was clean and the A/C worked, albeit noisily. The TV and mattress appeared to be newer, but the rest of the furniture was old and badly beat up. The fridge worked but it was struggling and extremely noisy.

The staff was friendly. The breakfast was just some prepackaged items in the lobby and coffee. Get there early.

Overall, I give it a 2 star rating because the of the friendly staff and the room was reasonably clean. If you are a germ-a-phobe you would not want to stay here. Clean - but not germ-a-phobe clean. It was a good value for the price I paid.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point? Share your experiences!