“Not like you pictured” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Newport News
Coupeville, Washington
“Not like you pictured”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I looked at the property online and let me tell you it is nothing like the pictures. The room was dirty, stains on walls, carpets filthy, there was a table with computer chairs that were dirty and stained, paint on cabinets chipped, faucet in kitchen dripped all night and room phone did not work. We had our grandson with us who is just 13 months old and he wanted to play on the floor and his feet would be filthy just from walking on it we had to keep his sandals on. Would never stay there again and not sure I would stay at any ESA and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Check out reviews on a site like this one, don't just look at the pictures and the reviews on th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Newport News - Oyster Point. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This location was rather a surprise, & the interior did not look ANYTHING like the picture online. While this was an "average" property, it was MUCH farther down Jefferson Avenue than the location I thought I was booking through their central reservations number. For some reason, we were booked at the Oyster Point location instead of the Hornsby property. So be sure to ask lots of questions if the difference matters to you, too.
The room size & the bed were both comfortable. However, the "kitchen" wasn't more than a "kitchenette" at most. It was alright for our brief stay, but if we were really looking to cook something, it could've been uncomfortable. Take your own sharp knife and/or veggie peeler; there was neither. The old tv kept losing its color & the bulb over the table was burned out, but the linens were very clean. (The floors - "not so much".) It was quite quiet until about 8:30am.
We checked in just before 9pm & had to call from an outside phone to get anyone in the busy office to open the locked lobby door. There was a "Guest Safety Tips" card in the room, also, worded strongly enough to put me on guard, but we did not see anyone in the vicinity who looked dangerous.
So, it wasn't what we booked and it was about 20 miles away from Williamsburg, but it was "ok", and the price was very fair for the amenities. It is close to the Hwy 17 intersection and to the Virginia Living Museum.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Newport News - Oyster Point. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of the guest room hallways is an integral part in creating a "home away from home" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.

Newport News
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

The room was affordable, and the customer service was great. However, the sheets had a cigarette burn and stains.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Corie,

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Newport News - Oyster Point. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the bed in your suite. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Specifically, standard operating policy is that linens are always replaced with fresh, clean new bedding before a guest checks in. In addition, all rooms are inspected prior to being made available to the public. That having been said, I recognize the issue you have brought to my attention and discussed it with hotel staff and management.

Boracay, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Good Stuff:

• Aside from not being "HOME", this "Extended Stay Hotel" in Newport News is comfortable and secure.
• The Hotel Manager is conscientious and wants to ensure customers are provided a great stay experience.
• Although the rooms are “seasoned”, the comfort and amenities are good. The shower is great, the bathroom is appropriate and the bedding is comfortable.
• Hotel Staff are very polite and respectful.
• Maintenance staff are knowledgeable and quick to make repairs with minimum impact on the customer.
• Facility is safe and secure
• Close to nice places to eat, grocery stores and office supply stores. Convenient place to reside.
• Great Mail Service from the Hotel Staff

Less than desirable things:

• Some of the residents, like the customer upstairs, makes a tremendous amount of noise and the comment about "paper-thin walls is true and I must include ceilings as well.
• Customer upstairs stomps on the floor while doing something (very annoying) and the noise is quite obvious.
• Loud TV noise is not customer acceptable (upstairs customer)
• Microwave in our room has a problem and table does not rotate
• Air Conditioning compressor starting capacitor makes a very loud noise on AC unit start-up (very loud) and it wakes you up at night, so I wear earplugs at night to sleep and to reduce the noises

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Newport News - Oyster Point. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of our guest corridors, to the personalized voicemail, is an integral part to creating a "home away from home" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard operating procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.

Rocklin, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

My husband and I booked a room for 7 nights, however only stayed a couple hours before checking out. Upon arrival we got placed on the 1st floor (supposed to be an upgraded room from the Standard rooms available on 2nd and 3rd floor). The room was non-smoking, however, the top sheet smelled of cig. smoke. We decided to take a nap when we checked in at 330pm, and by 430pm we were up and so frustrated that we could hear EVERYTHING from all 3 of our neighboring rooms - talking, thumps, footsteps...etc. The walls were so thin we could lay on the bed and hear complete conversations at a normal volume from the other rooms. We were fed up and quickly decided that we did not want to stay there any longer. We went to the front desk to check out, we were told that we could be refunded for 6 nights but were going to be charged in full for the 1 night, even though we were checking out just a couple hours after being there. The nightly price even jumped up to a regular rate rather than the extended stay lower rate ($40 dollars more than originally quoted per night). We contemplated staying and not wasting the money to pay for another hotel...however, we decided to leave that place since we were not pleased with how the manager handled us and still made us pay for a full night. We wanted to be in a relaxing room and knew listening to all of our neighbors we were not going to get that because of the paper thin walls. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Newport News, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

We were relocating to the area and needed a place for us and our animals. The price was good but otherwise the location was not. If you get there after the office has closed you have to call the night manager on a special phone and they did not answer and we had to try several times to reach them. The room itself was clean but tiny and we did not feel very safe. This hotel has many permanent residents who were friendly but gave the hotel a different atmosphere. Clean yes, Safe no. Would not recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Yorktown, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

The moment that I pulled up to the room I was being wathced by hotel guests as if they were waiting to see what I was placing into the unit. Also there was a suspicious vehicle that circled the building multiple times that was filled with adult males. One of the men got out, ran up to a room handed something to a resident and then took off. There were also several non-residents that were throughout the property as well as a vehicle in a parking stall that didn't not have wheels and was on wooden blocks.

Outdated, single serve coffee pot, cheap silverware, toilet seat had what appeard to be dog bite marks on it. Bed was horribly uncomfortable ...

I ended up calling over 10 different long-term type stay hotels just to get out ASAP. Finally I had to rent a hotel for a night and then move again to a MUCH SAFER and CLEANER TownePlace Suites Marriott.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point? Share your experiences!