“Doug was great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 37 hotels in Newport News
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Doug was great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We arrived here pretty late with a huge pile of luggage in a small room. The guy who checked us in, Doug, was a delight. He couldn't believe his eyes when two travel weary English people turned up with so many bags. His face was a picture and it made us laugh for the rest of the holiday. He was very knowledgeable about the area and helped us with directions to restuarants. We decided to stay another night and it was so nice to be greeted with his huge smile when he saw us again. Thanks Doug. x

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
I would like to take time and Thank You for staying with us. I do apologize that we didn't have a larger room size to accommodate all your luggage. I do want to Thank You for your wonderful comments about my desk clerk Doug. I have talked to Doug about this and he says Thank You, too. Hopefully you will be able to stay with us again in the future. Thank You, AGM Jim

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Greater NY Region
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express for two nights in August 2013. The staff was very courteous and welcoming. I was welcomed as a IHG Platinum member. Since I spent 150 nights in hotels the past year, I have a lot of experience. Always looking for a comfortable, safe, quiet business stay that is affordable for my clients. This property fit the bill perfectly. All the typical HI Express amenities plus access to the Mulberry Inn pool. Both hotels are under the same ownership evidently. The entire property is meticulously maintained. Makes you feel more like you are at a resort instead of a business trip stopover. All the staff that I encountered were nice, Letesse welcomed me warmly with an IHG welcome gift as a weary road warrior arriving late from my flight to Norfolk. Although she couldn't upgrade me, she made sure that I had the best value possible. The standard double bed room was quite spacious and nicely laid out. I didn't need it but there was a microwave, stove and refrig. All in all, a pleasant stay. Will seek this out next time I am in the vicinity.

Room Tip: No restaurant or room service but the breakfast buffet was nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

When pulling in to the parking lot I immediately thought this is not going to be good. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is extremely clean and the staff is amazing! Every employee that we encountered was beyond friendly and very helpful. The staff makes this place a great place :-)!

• Stayed August 2013
Parkersburg, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I planned on staying here when we visited our son at Fort Eustis in July. We checked in and took our luggage up to the room. As soon as I opened the door I was hit with the strong odor of cigarettes, even though I had requested a nonsmoking room when I made the reservation. I went back to the front desk and requested a different room, but was told they didn't have any others. We put our luggage back in our car and went next door to the Mulberry Inn and got a nonsmoking room. They did give us a full refund, but it was a hassle to have to change hotels.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear wvtraveler59,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our deepest apology for the experience you had while on our property. We understand the inconvenience this has caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My family and I stayed here while we were visiting Busch Gardens. The location was great, not too far away and plenty of restaurants close by. We reserved two rooms with a door in the middle so the kids could have one room and the adults have the other. The only very minor issue with the rooms were that the bathrooms were very small. Otherwise, we couldn't have asked for better rooms for our trip. The staff were very courteous and the housekeeper service was very accomodating when we asked for more towels. We will definitiely consider staying here in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ayer, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We just stayed here for a quick trip to VA. The staff there were wonderful, very helpful. The room was clean and the area was quiet and easily accessible. Unlike other hotels we have stayed in, the bed in this hotel room was lower so that my husband, who is in a wheelchair, could get into the bed with no problem. That is a huge plus. The breakfast in the morning was great. The only drawback for us was that the room was a little small. We were in an ADA room and there was ver little room for the wheelchair. The front desk person came to the room and moved some furniture so that the chair could get in there, which made things much easier. It turned out to be an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: As with any hotel, call to confirm that you are getting the room type that you need.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Stephens City, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was using my rewards night at another location when I had to relocate due to the hotel only having smoking rooms. I have asthma and can not stay in a smoking room. I was very upset with IHG for this reservation error and not helping my family relocate. We found this diamond in the rough on our own!! Thank goodness, we were able to relocate to this hotel at the last minute and the manager Michelle was very helpful with our transition. Overall, my family had a very nice stay at this location and the customer services was even better!!

Room Tip: This location was very good for what we were trying to do. We took our family to Bush Gardens and Wa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Newport News? Share your experiences!