“Awesome Experience!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Goochland, Virginia
“Awesome Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This Hotel was very nice. We had a softball tournament close by and our team stayed at this particular hotel. I always go on to read the reviews before booking so I feel it is important for me to put my review out here. The hotel was nice and clean and the staff was very professional. Hats off to Hazel for putting up with us in the breakfast area. She went above and beyond to make sure our girls' (and parents) were fed well even though it was close to cutting off Breakfast. She had such patience with all of our Children which was a nice touch. She was just AWESOME!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cathy C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on trip advisor. We "Thank You " for staying with us and your wonderful remarks about Ms. Hazel we truly are fortunate to have her. Please when in the area come and stay with us again it was a pleasure having the team at our hotel.

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The location of this hotel is what made me choose it (between Virginia Beach and Water Country USA theme park). I stayed in a non-smoking, king-sized bedroom. Everything was clean, sheets looked brand new and the bathroom sink counter top looked new. I have become a big fan of the Hotel Impossible television show so I definitely look at more things in a hotel room than I used to. I rated the sleep quality high as the bed was firm, pillows (4) were soft and I slept great after a long day at the beach. One "plus" I can give this hotel is the location with several restaurants (IHOP, Wendy's, locally-owned) and a grocery store (Food Lion) within a three minute drive down Warwick Blvd. I'm not certain whether or not I'd stay here again as I think the rate at $99/night was a little high for this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Michael A, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for taking to time to write this review. We strive to offer the bext value we can and feedback is the best way to measure how we are performing.

We are pleased that we met your expectations - even as a Hotel Impossible Fan ;-). We pride ourselves on being the best value between Busch Gardens amusement park and the Virginia Beaches. We are glad that you agree.

We hope to welcome you back the next time you visit the area.

Michael A.
Harkers Island, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Felt management was dishonest. Reserved non-smoking room. Was stuck in smoking room. Was offered a discount the night before in order to keep us from going to another hotel. Manager the next day only honored about 75% of the reduction. Seemed disinterested. Felt like it was bait and switch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael A, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
I am writing to thank you for your review and to appologize for the feeling you had that our hotel was dishonest and that you felt that you had experienced a "bait and switch".

Certainly, it was our fault that we were unable to accomodate your request for a non-smoking room type. As a non-smoker myself, I know that it can be frustrating when a hotel can not accomodate guest requests for non-smoking because the hotel was full. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you and hope that you will give us another chance to satisfy you when you are next in Newport News, Virginia.

Michael A
Knox, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Do not stay here if you are expecting the high level of service and quality that you get with the Holiday Inn Express name. Room was awful, bathroom had exposed wiring in the recessed lighting right above the shower. Booked a King room, and when we arrived we were given a double. When I questioned it, I was informed that anytime you use the Iphone app to make reservations, you will ALWAYS get a double. We did not even get our little bag at check in with goodies.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear StacyG74,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and it is for these reasons that your comments about the room amenities are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHG Care
Newnan, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I made our reservation through a third party, "Not so HOT" We did not know the name of the hotel until after booking. I made a mistake and reserved the wrong date. I called "Not so HOT" customer NO service, after waiting on hold for 35 min. I explained MY mistake. They explained their no change policy. I accepted that but thought I would call the hotel directly. I was greeted by the most friendly and helpful person, Terri. I explained MY mistake and she replied "Oh that happends all the time" She proceeds to correct my reservation and saves me over $100, She suggests that I contact "Not so HOT" and let them know. Not wanting to wait on hold again, I e-mailed their "Customer no Service" and explained the outcome. I could not believe their response. They said that I would have to pay for the additional night. Which did not turn out to be true. Instead of saying that their policy did not allow for changes, but what ever I worked out with the hotel was between the hotel and me. All of this saved me a big $7, if I had delt directly with the hotel. The staff at this hotel are exceptionally friendly and helpful. The one negative is the dinning area is uncomfortably cramped. A GOOD STAY.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct. Not their 800 number for national reservations you might get a better deal an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your kind words about how our hotel staff worked with you to resolve the issue you experienced with the "Not so HOT" third party internet site. Next time, we hope that you will book directly with us and forgo the bad customer service at the "Not so Hot" booking site.

Thanks Again. We look forward to seeing you when bext you visit Newport News, Virginia.

Michael A
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

No real issues but I hated the location, the fact that security was on site worried me, heard next door guest running in and out slamming doors all night, made me very nervous. I was here on business and booked here because the one on J Clyde was booked up, that one is a gem. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
IHGCare, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Drkgrlx,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The only negative we have for the hotel is the small bathroom area. Other than that we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport News, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will pass along your comments about our bathrooms, however I am not sure that there is much that we can do about the size of the room. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you next time you are in Newport News.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Newport News? Share your experiences!