“Very Very BASIC hotel - no frills no thrills” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
“Very Very BASIC hotel - no frills no thrills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Front desk personnel need more training. I was asked to sign a document that had the rate left blank and they wanted me to initial the rate which was blank. I refused. They could not get a copy to print with the rate showing. They went ahead and gave me the room and stated she would call me once she got it straight. I was never called back to the front desk. Room was quite and clean but no closet or anywhere to hang clothes. The ironing board was leaning against a wall and the iron in a drawer. Breakfast bar was minimal. Very basic hotel. Do not plan stay again if other hotels are available in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dwight,

We appreciate your review, and your business. I am sorry to hear that the front desk staff was confused regarding the rate. Reservations made through online travel agents such as Expedia, Hotels.com, etc, don't show a rate on the registration card. You pay the online travel agent, and they pay us. You are making no agreement to pay us further, unless there are incidentals or other damages.

I will talk with our staff and ensure they all know how to explain this in the future.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding and I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay. Feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss your stay further.

Vice President of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Middlesex, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is not only awful but doesn't even deserve 1 star. What I thought was going to be a 7 hour trip, turned into 9 1/2 hours. When I arrived at the hotel, I was already late. So we checked in around 4:30 maybe a little later, and didn't bother to go to our room. When we returned around 7:00 we brought our luggage in and had family waiting for us outside. We went to the room and the stench was horrible. It smelled like a moldy dirty hot mess. You could feel the unhealthy air flowing through your lungs. So we said, just turn on the air, maybe it will reduce the smell, then turned around and left. We came back to the room several hours later, and the smell was even worse. The air conditioner was making it even worse. We went downstairs to the front desk, explained the condition. The person at the front desk, said,,and I quote "oh, yeah, several people on the 1st floor have also been complaining" She said the only rooms they have left are smoking rooms. I let her know, I can't even handle smelling the stench in my room, how am I supposed to stand sleeping in a smoking room. She then got on the phone with her Manager (Stephanie) Well Stephanie, decided to add insult to injury and told her that she wasn't going to give us a refund. because checked in several hours ago and are only complaining now. The best they could do is give us air freshener. I told her what difference does it make how long we've been there. And what would you have done if we had complained 10 minutes after we checked in. GIVE US THE SAME SMELLY ROOM. And to clarify, we were in a rush and didn't have the time to deal with the situation. So she turns around and hands me a bottle of cleaner to clean the room. To make matters worse, my Dad comes down and said his room smelled terrible as well. He was in 306, we were in 221 and guests that I didn't know apparently were complaining on the 1st floor. Stephanie didn't have to stay in that room gagging all night. There was no where else to go, as everything in the area was booked because of the Jazz Festival. She had to have known those rooms probably should be condemned until the problem was fixed. But she and the owner just wanted there money. How are you a Manager and not know what's going on in your hotel. And even without this issue, how is anyone giving this 4 stars. There are absolutely NO CLOSETS in the rooms. We had to hang our clothes on the ironing board, and there are no elevators. I believe someone on the staff posted the 4 star reviews. This is the only thing we have to go by especially if you're not living in the area. The next morning, we check out, the same girl was at the desk. She asked for my phone number. I said "for what" - "well my Manager wants to give you a call. Well,for anyone reading this review - if you've received a call from her than I have.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Change4life,

I am sorry about the problems you had during your visit. As you can see from our other reviews, these issues are not at all typical of our property. If you would like to give me a call at the hotel directly, we can discuss the issues in more detail, and I can try to rectify the situation.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and the overall rating, but it sure didn't seem like the rating and reviews were written about the hotel we stayed in at all. I was impressed, too, that the management seemed to take the time to respond to reviewer comments, but basing my review completely on my stay, I would never choose to stay at this hotel again.

When I made my reservation online, I asked for a quiet room. Upon check-in, I was told that the hotel was full, so they weren't able to honor that request, but they had given me a room away from ice/vending machines which I did really appreciate. From other reviews of this property, I expected a very friendly welcome and nice greeting when we arrived, but it was short, cold, and to the point (also something others might appreciate, but after a long trip, I thought at least a smile would be nice).

As we ascended the staircase to our room, I started to get a little nervous. The smell was old, musty, and smoky. We requested a non-smoking room, but the room did still have a funky smell, and it particularly smelled like it maybe at one time had been a smoking room and then was changed to non-smoking. There was a wall fan unit or air purifier attached to the wall outside the room, but it was unplugged, so whatever its purpose, it was non-effective to help the smells.

The appearance of the room was fine. It was old, as others have commented, but it looked nice. It seemed to be clean, except the bathroom, but when I mentioned this to the front desk as we were leaving for the afternoon, she had someone take care of it while we were gone. One odd thing about the room is that, as you walk across the floor, there are dips in the carpet. I'm not a flooring expert, so I have no idea what causes this, but from my perspective it seems like the floor under the carpet is rotting away - otherwise, why would there be dips? While it doesn't affect the appearance of the room, because you don't notice it until you walk across one of the spots, if it is rotting underneath, that could certainly explain part of the smell.

We left the hotel & didn't come back until bedtime. In the hallways, it was easy to hear noise from other rooms. Like I said earlier, I am a light sleeper, which is why I always ask for a quiet room. No matter where I would have gone in this hotel, though, I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered. Every time the person above us (3rd floor) walked or moved in their bed, we could hear it. It was awful. Luckily we couldn't hear anyone in rooms next to us too, or that would have been the end of our stay. The mattresses were lumpy, and the beds squeaked every time we moved. Needless to say, it was not a good night's sleep.

In the morning, we stopped down to the breakfast buffet, but like the rest of the hotel & stay, it was disappointing. We opted not to eat based upon the appearance of the food and the kinds of food left (we didn't get there until 9, so there was only 1/2 hr left of the buffet), so I can't speak to the quality of the food. It might have looked more appetizing if we had gotten there earlier, but I don't know.

I am used to staying in hotels in this mid-range level. I look for good deals on rooms but ones which will provide a good night's sleep (I mean, I'm still paying $95-$100 for a room - I don't think a good night's sleep is too much to ask). This hotel may charge mid-range prices, but definitely don't expect a mid-range stay. Very disappointing for a Choice hotel.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room on the top floor. Just be prepared to...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Sara,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to par. I have checked the room you were in, and there is no issue with the flooring in that room. It appears the foam they put down to level the floor, wasn't level in that specific room, leaving the uneven space you had mentioned.

Regarding your other issues, I am extremely sorry you were not satisfied. As you can see from our other reviews, we do our best to provide the best possible guest experience possible. If you would like to discuss your issues further, please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

This hotel is clean. But, it is also very basic. The rooms are old and small, but they have been renovated. The rooms are dark, with inadequate internal lighting, and small windows for natural light. There isn't even a place to hang your clothes. Seriously, there is no closet in the room. Also, the breakfast is not well attended, and therefore they run out of items.
That said, the rooms are clean. So, if the price is right, and you are just looking for a place to lay your head...

Room Tip: NO ELEVATOR. If you have trouble with stairs, ask for a first floor room. If you have a wheelchair...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear H2O Guy,

Thank you much for your review of our property, and your business this past June. In the last year we have made improvements to our breakfast, and usually have a breakfast host on staff during breakfast hours. We have gotten over the door hangers to hang clothes on, available by request from the front desk, while we work on getting new closets. We are hoping to have the closets some time this summer, or early fall.

I am glad that you were satisfied overall with your stay, we are an older hotel, but we pride ourselves in providing the best service possible, and for providing clean, comfortable accommodations in the Hampton Roads Area.

I invite you to stay with us again, and am sure you will find that the service and our product continue to improve.

Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My son left his favorite stuffed animal at the hotel following our stay. The very kind gentleman (Jay) is mailing it back to us. We are so grateful for his kindness and understanding! We will be sure to use this hotel every time we visit New Port News (which is frequently to attend swim meets). THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
I am thrilled to see that our staff and management have again gone above and beyond for our guests. We pride ourselves in providing top not guest service, and I am glad we have upheld our standard of excellence and quality.

I hope to get to know you upon future visits, and look forward to having you as our guests any time you are in the Hampton Roads area!

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

A friend was getting married and we all stayed here 2 weeks ago. The hotel was pretty & clean, the staff were amazing. Internet worked great, and they had flat screen TVs in all the rooms - I wasn't expecting any of this because it is an older hotel. But you can not beat the place when it comes to service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you so much for your business, and your wonderful review. We value each and every one of our guests, and we do our best to go above and beyond to provide the best possible service. I am thrilled to see that we have succeeded, yet again!

Congratulations to your friend on getting married, and I hope to see you again in the future!

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was at this Inn for four days to study, the Inn was quiet, so clean, the employees were respectful and helpful. There is a hotel nearby which I stayed at in the past, but I would choose this Inn again instead. There isn't a frilly lobby, like the one around the corner, but the coffee was hot the room was wonderful with great pillows and the staff were respectful and..at breakfast, yes...real scrambled eggs (not triangle shaped). It had everything I needed to be comfortable and secure. I would like to say thank you to the staff and management for keeping everything the way it should be...a home away from my home.

Room Tip: Very clean and friendly, near grocery stores and other places for things you might have forgotten. T...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your business and your wonderful review. We appreciate hearing how our guests stays were, and we are pleased that we have continued our long tradition of guest service and excellence! We go out of our way to ensure each and every guest has the best experience possible.

I look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Vice President of Operations

Been to Quality Inn Newport News? Share your experiences!