“Basic” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Boston
“Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

This hotel is clean. But, it is also very basic. The rooms are old and small, but they have been renovated. The rooms are dark, with inadequate internal lighting, and small windows for natural light. There isn't even a place to hang your clothes. Seriously, there is no closet in the room. Also, the breakfast is not well attended, and therefore they run out of items.
That said, the rooms are clean. So, if the price is right, and you are just looking for a place to lay your head...

Room Tip: NO ELEVATOR. If you have trouble with stairs, ask for a first floor room. If you have a wheelchair...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear H2O Guy,

Thank you much for your review of our property, and your business this past June. In the last year we have made improvements to our breakfast, and usually have a breakfast host on staff during breakfast hours. We have gotten over the door hangers to hang clothes on, available by request from the front desk, while we work on getting new closets. We are hoping to have the closets some time this summer, or early fall.

I am glad that you were satisfied overall with your stay, we are an older hotel, but we pride ourselves in providing the best service possible, and for providing clean, comfortable accommodations in the Hampton Roads Area.

I invite you to stay with us again, and am sure you will find that the service and our product continue to improve.

Vice President of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My son left his favorite stuffed animal at the hotel following our stay. The very kind gentleman (Jay) is mailing it back to us. We are so grateful for his kindness and understanding! We will be sure to use this hotel every time we visit New Port News (which is frequently to attend swim meets). THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
I am thrilled to see that our staff and management have again gone above and beyond for our guests. We pride ourselves in providing top not guest service, and I am glad we have upheld our standard of excellence and quality.

I hope to get to know you upon future visits, and look forward to having you as our guests any time you are in the Hampton Roads area!

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

A friend was getting married and we all stayed here 2 weeks ago. The hotel was pretty & clean, the staff were amazing. Internet worked great, and they had flat screen TVs in all the rooms - I wasn't expecting any of this because it is an older hotel. But you can not beat the place when it comes to service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you so much for your business, and your wonderful review. We value each and every one of our guests, and we do our best to go above and beyond to provide the best possible service. I am thrilled to see that we have succeeded, yet again!

Congratulations to your friend on getting married, and I hope to see you again in the future!

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was at this Inn for four days to study, the Inn was quiet, so clean, the employees were respectful and helpful. There is a hotel nearby which I stayed at in the past, but I would choose this Inn again instead. There isn't a frilly lobby, like the one around the corner, but the coffee was hot the room was wonderful with great pillows and the staff were respectful and..at breakfast, yes...real scrambled eggs (not triangle shaped). It had everything I needed to be comfortable and secure. I would like to say thank you to the staff and management for keeping everything the way it should be...a home away from my home.

Room Tip: Very clean and friendly, near grocery stores and other places for things you might have forgotten. T...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your business and your wonderful review. We appreciate hearing how our guests stays were, and we are pleased that we have continued our long tradition of guest service and excellence! We go out of our way to ensure each and every guest has the best experience possible.

I look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Maggie Valley, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

From NC, I called the Quality Inn in Newport News to book a room. My daughter recommended the hotel because they had stayed there numerous times when visiting their son at Christopher Newport University. She said she had never met a nicer staff at any hotel she had stayed at. When I called, I spoke with Regina. She went out of her way to help me secure a room for me and my husband. There was an error with my Triple A discount and she took ALL the time needed to fix it and put our reservation in again, to enable me to get the Triple A discount. She kept apologizing for taking so long instead of acting like I was taking up her time!!! That was quite a change than most hotel staff!!! When we checked in the next week, Regina was there to check us in, had all our paperwork ready to sign and called to check on us when we got to our room to see if we needed anything and to see if we were happy with the room. She was VERY knowledgeable, efficient, and friendly. She was the epitome of 'customer service.' When we checked out the next day, I asked for a supervisor to explain how much we appreciated it. I told her that Regina was very knowledgeable in her job and must have been there a good while to be able to wait on all the people that were checking in, without getting flustered. She was nice to everyone! The manager said that no, she had only been there for a week! I was amazed! The hotel in itself was nice, but dated. Rooms were very clean and the housekeepers were every bit as friendly. What was lacking in 'modern amenities,' i.e., soaking tubs, etc., the staff MORE than make up for in kindness and assistance. We WILL stay there every time we go visit our grandson in college. That will be four years of visits and I figure by that time the Quality Inn staff will be family!!! Thank you so much, Ms. Patel and Regina!!! Being a military family, we have stayed in MANY various hotels but this Quality Inn is definitely in our top 5.
Sincerely, catjag@gmail.com

Room Tip: All rooms were nice. We stayed in a smoking room on 3rd floor (smoking rooms on higher level).
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Cathy,

Thank you so much for your great review of our property! We pride ourselves in offering clean, comfortable guest rooms, with that family touch that you spoke of. I look forward to us all getting to know you over the next 4 years! If there is ever anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask for Mrs. Patel or myself and we will ensure it is taken care of for you.

Again, thank you for your great review, your business, and hopefully, over time, your friendship as well.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Week long stay when in the area to visit family. Options are rather limited in the immediate vicinity. Nicer full service hotels are across the water in Norfolk but that is a bit of a hike away. So, that's the backdrop for this review.

The plus. Room was clean and comfortable. Climate control works well, both in heating and cooling modes. Front desk staff were friendly an efficient. Lobby area small but welcoming. Coffee available all day.

The minus. Hotel should think twice about its choice of cleaning products. Not everyone likes the smell of floral potpourri. It is such an overwhelming smell from the minute you step in the doors. The hotel should take this into consideration. Neutral or unscented is the industry standard. The breakfast is so so. Basically reheated jimmy dean packaged products, pastries and juice. Good when you are desperate for a quick bite but there are lots of better options just down the road. Walls are super thin and lack insulation. I could clearly hear the conversations in the next room.

All in all, given the other choices in the area (no-tell-mo-tells), the Quality Inn is a good choice. I would probably make the same choice again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for your business, and your candid and fair review of our property. We are an older hotel, and we don't have a lot of frills. But we are proud to offer clean, comfortable rooms with an inviting, professional staff, and we do all we can to make each guests stay as good as possible. As you can see from our other reviews we generally have great reviews, and very satisfied guests. I am sorry you were not thrilled with your stay, but I am glad that we at least met your basic expectations, as you stated your room was clean, the staff was friendly, with good, working AC & heating for each room. We will look at other cleaning products and see if we can find something more neutral that is appealing to all guests.

Again, I thank you for your business and your fair review. I hope to see you in the future when you're in the area visiting family!

Venice, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Motel was clean, our room was well furnished, bed was comfortable, shower worked perfectly, temperature control was very good, halls were quiet, staff members were polite, and hot breakfast was provided. We have previously stayed here, and returned because our stay was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Overall good value.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear tilson01fl,

Thank you very much for your business and for taking the time to write this excellent review of our hotel. In 2012 we underwent extensive renovations and we are glad that it is showing :) . We pride ourselves in providing one of the best values in the Hampton Roads area, we consistently provide clean, comfortable rooms, friendly, helpful staff, at reasonable rates. And I am glad you mentioned our hot breakfast! We understand families, and we understand when travelling with children, eating out every meal can add up quick. We are happy to provide a hot breakfast in the mornings to start your day off right, without adding further to the travel expenses!

Again, thank you very much for your great review, and we look forward to having you as our guest when you're in the area for years to come!