“Good choice on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Jacksonville, Texas
“Good choice on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for its convenience to Yorktown and Jamestown. It was clean and and pretty quiet. The AC in our room made some rhythmic noise, but not enough to complain about. Our room was small, something made worse by the odd arrangement of the furniture (I suspect this was because of the location of the meager electrical outlets). We skipped breakfast, so no comment about that. The location felt safe and was convenient. This is a get what you pay for place. It's not fancy in any way, but it is a decent and comfortable place to stay the night.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
We appreciate your positive feedback of our hotel! We have done complete renovations of the property, and are adding more benefits by the day. We are now offering a hot breakfast, and are working to make this the most comfortable hotel in the Newport News/Hampton area at a reasonable price.

We appreciate your feedback, and hope you will come back and see all the improvements we have done!

Stephen Barger
Vice President of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I've stayed in this hotel several times now. It's always clean and the staff is extremely friendly. And you don't get that in every Super 8 in this area!

This year our group (4 people, in two rooms) got a very late start on our trip and didn't arrive until almost 5am. We asked if we could have a later check out and the person at the desk (who I believe was the owner) happily said no problem, and even gave us more time than we asked for.

Also, shortly after leaving (we were headed to Kitty Hawk for a week), I realized I forgot my watch. I called and talked to the owner again, and she sent someone to the room while I was on the phone to find my watch, told me she had it. I asked if she could keep it so that I could pick it up on the way home, and again, she very happily said no problem.

Also, the night staff on duty when we checked in were also extremely friendly and accomadating.

Room Tip: These people are great, and set a great example for Super 8's everywhere! I will stay here anyti...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

I enjoyed staying at the motel - convenient to Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown.

Very clean and quiet rooms, nice breakfast and very helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Check in was easy, the attendant was very nice, gave me a lot of info about the breakfast bar.. I haven't ate the breakfast so I can't give an opinion on that. Upon getting to my room, the AC was on, so it was nice and cool. The shower was amazing. The hotel itself seems to need some work.. new furniture and bedding would've been nice. It's a busy hotel, but in a good location and a good price. The only complaint I really have is about half of the outlets in my room did not work.. Makes it hard to use a computer, charge my phone, and charge my camera battery at the same time..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

It appears this is a live-in hotel. Found it through a discount coupon booklet at a rest stop. Was quiet. Room was old but clean.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

Good for those travelling on a budget - in this area, summer travel can be very prohibitively expensive; not so if you stay at this Super 8.

Positives - inexpensive, fairly clean and centrally located to many things in the areas - 30-40 min to VA Beach, 20 min to Williamsburg/Busch Gardens. Lots of dining and shopping nearby. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel has been recently remodelled so everything is new. Air-conditioning worked well. Rooms have a refrigerator and microwave so you can eat meals/leftovers in your room. Refrigerators are large enough to store plenty of cold water bottles, which you'll need if traveling here in the summer months.

Downside - some of the clientele looked a bit rough, although we had no problems. Maid service didn't always do such a good job cleaning the bathrooms each morning. Nothing much nearby in the way of walking distance (there is a Waffle House across the street but don't go there unless you have alot of time and patience!). Breakfast buffet was weak.

Bottom line - if you're looking for a no-frills, inexpensive place to stay, this is it. If you're used to a business class hotel, don't stay here, you will be disappointed.

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Clientele
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Quality Inn Newport News? Share your experiences!