“A Mixed Bag with Some Very Good Parts...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #2 of 37 hotels in Newport News
Newark, Delaware
“A Mixed Bag with Some Very Good Parts...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Several family members and I traveled to the Yorktown, VA, area for a family get-together and a mini-vacation. My sister checked out hotels in the area, looking for one close to our nephew's Base and with an indoor pool for the children to enjoy. We also wanted breakfast included and were happy to find vacancies here at good rates. Directions on Google Maps and MapQuest were a little deceptive and it says to turn onto Commonwealth Drive to get into the Shopping Plaza the hotel is in. The only sign we found at the correct road to turn in from Victory Blvd. Rt. 171 from either direction (we had to make a couple of U-turns to find it by spotting the hotel) is Kiln Creek Parkway, not Commonwealth Drive. Once you have entered the Plaza, you'll spot a sign that says Commonwealth but it sure isn't visible from the highway.
Everyone working at this hotel was very friendly, helpful and courteous. I asked for a room away from the elevators but on the same floor as my sister's room. There was only one room on the same floor so we did end up with a room on the corner beside the elevator alcove. The construction of the walls or whatever was done for soundproofing doesn't work well and we could hear the elevator noises through the night. When the people in the adjoining room woke and were talking the next morning, we could hear everything they said on the other side of the wall. At first we thought they were in the hall by our door, the voices were so distinct and penetrating. Don't expect a room with a view unless you like parking lots and a roadway. The hotel has done it's best to make the outside area by the lobby welcoming, with some nice trees.
Our room was a good size, with a big closet and two comfortable beds. The beds seem smaller than Queen size but were big enough for a very comfortable night's sleep. We had one problem with the bed that is probably rare, but two of us fell because our feet caught in the corner of the duvet cover located at the foot of the bed, at floor level. The duvet is made like a big, open ended pillowcase and our feet went inside it and caught as we walked by the corner of the bed. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you are concerned about such things, just pull up the duvet so that it isn't as close to the carpet.
The upholstered chair and ottoman by the bed was very comfortable, too, and we all tried it out. The TV worked great and had a good picture and the internet worked great! tI was easy to connect and stay connected at a decent internet speed. The heating/air conditioning unit is at the base of the window and a little loud, with strong air current.
The bathrooms are good-sized and there is a lot of countertop space. The lights are nice and bright.
The room was very clean and well kept.
The swimming pool was a huge hit and was big enough for several families to enjoy. The water temperature was very comfortable. There was a hot tub next to the pool, too.
Breakfast the next morning was as represented, with a mix of hot and cold (boiled eggs, yogurt, cereals) do it yourself food available. Make your own waffles were delicious, and the simmering oatmeal was wonderful. We loved the extra toppings for oatmeal. There was a covered steamer with ham and cheese omelets and ham slices. Coffee, juices, and milk were plentiful. There were apples and bananas, too.
We were running later than expected and were given a later checkout with no problem.
The hotel followed up with me about my fall after I returned home, expressed concern about what had happened, and let me know they were reversing the charge for the room. That wasn't something I'd expected and I thought was very nice of them. While I was there, they asked if I needed any medical attention and let me know they would make sure i got it if I decided I did need it.
The good parts about this hotel made this a very happy trip for all of us and fit our priorities.

Room Tip: I agree that calling the hotel directly for room pricing is a good idea. We were given a lower rate...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I normally love Hampton Inn's for their beds. In this case the were horrible. No bed pad and hard as a rock. Linens were not the normal thick stuff for a Hampton Inn. I was so surprised by how hard the bed was I checked to see if the mattress was upside down, it wasn't.

I will say the rest of the room was nice and the general location is good.

• Stayed February 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stay at this property relatively often and always find the staff friendly and welcoming, the rooms clean, modern and comfortable and the amenities precisely as advertised. Breakfast is typical of Hampton Inn and the gym, pool, and hot tub are perfect for a quick work out or a relaxing soak. During my most recent stay, the Whirlpool was apparently in disrepair. As I was checking out, I mentioned it to the front desk staff, carried my luggage to my car, and came back in for a cup of coffee before leaving. The desk clerk was already online with management, noting the problem and attempting to make sure it was remedied (even though it was no great inconvenience). I appreciated their prompt attention to problems, and their attempt to ensure costumer satisfaction. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern Vriginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Everything about the hotel except the breakfast was excellent. The room was comfortable and clean and decor was uptodate. The staff was superb-very friendly and helpful: one time I took some decaf late at nigh from the lobby which was cold. the staff made some fresh even though at that time of night I was likely the only taker. If you like protein as part of your breakfast you will be disappointed. I think the eggs were from some sort of kit and the sausage was fatty and flavorless. But if you like waffles they are fine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The room was spacious, clean, has everything you may need and more.The extended breakfast
was excellent, you get coffee and cookies inte afternoon,as well as fresh fruit.

Didn´t have the time to use them, but the pool and the gym looked great.

But as everybody else points out here, the best asset of this hotel is the staff. Kind, cheerful and attentive.
Jessica and the two guys at the front desk and Barbara at breakfast time:thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for one night last week with my son before making our way down to the Outer Banks...

This hotel is located right off Interstate 64 at Exit 256B and is located within a shopping mall area (Victory Mall)..

There are numerous shops/restaurants/gas stations around..so you have a decent selection of things...

The hotel boasts a nice heated indoor pool & hot tub and not to mention a fitness center & business center...

Check-in was very smooth and I was greeted but not thanked for being a loyal Hilton Diamond Member...

The only quirk that I had with this hotel was (when I stay each time with Hilton) I ask for a business card and the guy went all through the front desk, GM's office and back office and was unable to give me a card...so I thought that was strange to not have a simple card available...

Room was on the 1st floor which was easy to access the pool area....

They also have a shuttle that will take you within a 2 mile area to restaurants and such, as well there is a Hilton Garden Inn just the next street up....

The nice thing that happened was we had got back to the hotel around 10pm and I asked if we could still use the pool with myself and my 5 year old and he said as long as you don't make noise you can...so that was a nice touch to allow to stay open past closing time....

Room was very clean and comfortable...

Breakfast the next morning was the usual fare and the breakfast attendent (not wearing a nametag) was very coordial and friendly....

If I was in the area again...I would stay here again...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Clean, large rooms in an excellent location. Great continental breakfadt and warm, delicious cookies in the aftrrnoon. Close to shopping and restaurants. What more could I ask for? This hotel is top notch and I highly recommend it. But not for everything I have already mentioned...I would stay here again based on nothing more than the outstanding customer service. The staff here went out of their way to make me feel at home. They greeted me each evening by my last name, and always with a smile. The employees obviously take pride in their work and the management has clearly done a phenomenal job in employee screening as well as training. It was refreshing to be treated do well! Keep up the great work, I will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown? Share your experiences!