“Online photos are deceiving!” 2 of 5 stars

Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23601   |
Ranked #20 of 37 hotels in Newport News
New York City, New York
“Online photos are deceiving!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel was terrible and deceiving. Stay at the one directly across the street. Please believe the negative reviews those are as close to the truth about this place that you are going to get. My room were changed without my knowledge or consent when I realized this I was "upgraded" to a suite. The place was terrible. There are a lot of people hanging around outside the rooms. Do not recommend.

Room Tip: Don't chose the suites...

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Newport News, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel was by far the worst I have EVER STAYED IN. I felt so unsafe that I could barely sleep throughout the night...or maybe that was because I was sleeping under ragged sheets on top of a dirty old mattress. We originally booked through a third party site and the pictures were INCREDIBLY DECEIVING - do not let the front desk area fool you. We booked a king room (confirmed by our receipt from the booking site), but when we walked into the room it was a double. The sheets looked like they had been cut by a child or eaten by something around the edges and there was hair all over the bathroom sink. I didn't even want to touch anything. We asked the front desk associate for a new room that was clean and what we reserved - she informed us that they were sold out. We went back upstairs and called to find a manager. He led my boyfriend to a room that magically had "become available" with a king bed - when they got there to view it, SOMEBODY WAS CLEARLY STAYING IN IT ALREADY! Thank goodness they weren't actually in the room when the man and my boyfriend came in, but their things were there. We were moved to a suite instead so that we could at least be in a clean room - BIG MISTAKE. It's on the first floor and has an exterior entrance as well as a large window facing the front and back areas of the room. Two chances to be robbed in our sleep! The door separating the living area from the bedroom looked like it had been taken from a junkyard and wedged into the frame - it was an unfinished pine door with a hole cut into it for a doorknob. It didn't fit the frame. There were stains on the walls. I tried to plug in my phone through the lamp's outlet and the wires came out with it.

The hotel is in an AWFUL area and I felt very afraid (I am from a city and don't consider myself sheltered and I felt truly scared that something might happen). Bottom line - DO NOT STAY HERE.

Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I travel a lot for work in and out of hotels all the time at first appearance room was clean and tidy but as soon as I turned the lights down cockroaches started filing out of the fire alarm I stopped counting at 5 I was going to switch rooms but figured the problem was in more than one room we had two other people staying there and they didn't report any sightings I'm lucky I guess I told the front desk the following morning and they apologized and took note of it

hartford, ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked this hotel on hotwire and it was billed as a 3 star at a good price. However we stayed at 2 stars on our trip that were cleaner and nicer. The breakfast included was not bad though but I think I would book a cheaper 2 star hotel nearby next time.

Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I'll start by saying that threeyears ago my wife and I stayed here and found it to be a "diamond in the rough." We've been using the Point Plaza Suites for our annual vacation since. After this last trip, that will be changing. Check in went fairly smoothly, especially considering that we checked in over fourth of July weekend(July 5th, 2014). However, it was all downhill from there. The plus side is that the room was clean, and there's plenty of hot water(there actually doesn't seem to be ANY cold water.) On the down side: The room came equipped with exactly on bottle of shampoo, one bottle of conditioner, one bar of soap, two sets of towels and 3/4 of a roll of toilet paper. All well and good except that in the seven days that we are scheduled to stay here(We are still here at the time of this review), cleaning services have been preformed exactly once. During which the bed was made up and the towels were folded. No more soap/ shampoo/toilet paper. I had to ask for extra towels as soon as we checked into the room, I've had to go to the front desk almost every night for soap. One night my wife and I waited at the front desk for 30 minutes while the woman behind the desk sent the security guard to housekeeping to find us soap. During the wait, the manager sat in the lobby pointedly ignoring us and watching the television. I had spoken with the man on each of my previous trips down for soap and he was rude at best. The pool has been closed for the entire time we've been here(again, over fourth of July weekend), the free breakfast was only available on two of the days we have been here, and when I tried to take a biscuit back to my wife who stayed in the room, I was told that food could not be removed from the breakfast hall! The rooms tend to get damp because there is NO ventilation in the bathrooms. If you can manage to do it, try to get a room on a higher floor, the windows open, so you can get some airflow. Just be careful, because we are on the third floor and when we opened the window, there is no screen in it! The phone in the room didnt work, and the furniture was beyond abused, we had to prop the door on the wardrobe open with a suitcase so we could watch the dilapidated television. It's also not in the city center, not that that really matters. Amenities are close by. There is a mall nearby as well as stores like Target and Wal-Mart. Plenty of restaurants nearby and even a movie theater in the nearby city center. There's direct access to route 64, which leads everywhere in Virginia. We typically come down here to go to Busch Gardens and Water Country, which are both about 20 minutes away. We have stayed here three times now, and while it is a cleanish place to sleep and shower while you go to a museum or a park, even at $70 per night, it isn't worth it, and we won't be coming back. There's a Holiday Inn across the street, and if you want to stay in this particular area, I'd start there.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have windows that open for better ventilation. Rooms closer to the laundry room...
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here using a PriceLine deal. The place is rated 3-stars, pictures looked good. Should be ok, right? WRONG!!!
Plus side: Room was relatively clean. Bath was actually quite nice, although fixtures were well "broken in". A/C was in good order. WiFi was fast enough for NetFlix, which is my standard for rating hotel wireless systems. The place was relatively quiet. Bed was old but ok.
Negatives:
No shampoo available. Cleaning staff said they were "waiting on a shipment of shampoo". Ok. I always keep a spare, but, c'mon, Walmart has those little sample bottles by the 100's. If you run out, go buy some to get you through the day.
OLD CRT television. Lots of channels, but poor picture quality on a small Screen. Unacceptable for a 3-star room in 2014. Furniture has been around for a LONG time. Pretty beat up.
Lots of trash and accumulated leaves, papers around the rear of the building and parking lot. Hey, take an hour or so to clean up the place.
Now, get this: I go down for the "Free FULL Hot Breakfast" advertised on the website. Guess what? It consisted of one pan of grits, some shredded cheese, juice, bread and bagels to toast and coffee. No eggs or breakfast meat. They had a couple of sugary kids cereal dispensers loaded up, but the attendant said they unfortunately were out of milk for the cereal, so no go on that. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they just laughed and said that they had had a family reunion over the weekend and they had "wiped them out". Well, y'know, just run down to the 7-11 and buy a couple of gallons of milk. The supermarket has plenty of eggs and bacon. This is a three star hotel supposedly.
So... Here's the deal: This place does not rate even a 2-star level. I would not recommend this for anyone who is accustomed to typical hotel of this rating. It just is not in the game.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It was reasonably priced and in a great location. What I enjoyed most was the hot buffet breakfast and the indoor pool. The hotel offers a map of the area. My check in went great. The lady who does the breakfast is outstanding and should be commended.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!