“Not a 3 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
hartford, ct
“Not a 3 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked this hotel on hotwire and it was billed as a 3 star at a good price. However we stayed at 2 stars on our trip that were cleaner and nicer. The breakfast included was not bad though but I think I would book a cheaper 2 star hotel nearby next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I'll start by saying that threeyears ago my wife and I stayed here and found it to be a "diamond in the rough." We've been using the Point Plaza Suites for our annual vacation since. After this last trip, that will be changing. Check in went fairly smoothly, especially considering that we checked in over fourth of July weekend(July 5th, 2014). However, it was all downhill from there. The plus side is that the room was clean, and there's plenty of hot water(there actually doesn't seem to be ANY cold water.) On the down side: The room came equipped with exactly on bottle of shampoo, one bottle of conditioner, one bar of soap, two sets of towels and 3/4 of a roll of toilet paper. All well and good except that in the seven days that we are scheduled to stay here(We are still here at the time of this review), cleaning services have been preformed exactly once. During which the bed was made up and the towels were folded. No more soap/ shampoo/toilet paper. I had to ask for extra towels as soon as we checked into the room, I've had to go to the front desk almost every night for soap. One night my wife and I waited at the front desk for 30 minutes while the woman behind the desk sent the security guard to housekeeping to find us soap. During the wait, the manager sat in the lobby pointedly ignoring us and watching the television. I had spoken with the man on each of my previous trips down for soap and he was rude at best. The pool has been closed for the entire time we've been here(again, over fourth of July weekend), the free breakfast was only available on two of the days we have been here, and when I tried to take a biscuit back to my wife who stayed in the room, I was told that food could not be removed from the breakfast hall! The rooms tend to get damp because there is NO ventilation in the bathrooms. If you can manage to do it, try to get a room on a higher floor, the windows open, so you can get some airflow. Just be careful, because we are on the third floor and when we opened the window, there is no screen in it! The phone in the room didnt work, and the furniture was beyond abused, we had to prop the door on the wardrobe open with a suitcase so we could watch the dilapidated television. It's also not in the city center, not that that really matters. Amenities are close by. There is a mall nearby as well as stores like Target and Wal-Mart. Plenty of restaurants nearby and even a movie theater in the nearby city center. There's direct access to route 64, which leads everywhere in Virginia. We typically come down here to go to Busch Gardens and Water Country, which are both about 20 minutes away. We have stayed here three times now, and while it is a cleanish place to sleep and shower while you go to a museum or a park, even at $70 per night, it isn't worth it, and we won't be coming back. There's a Holiday Inn across the street, and if you want to stay in this particular area, I'd start there.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have windows that open for better ventilation. Rooms closer to the laundry room...
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here using a PriceLine deal. The place is rated 3-stars, pictures looked good. Should be ok, right? WRONG!!!
Plus side: Room was relatively clean. Bath was actually quite nice, although fixtures were well "broken in". A/C was in good order. WiFi was fast enough for NetFlix, which is my standard for rating hotel wireless systems. The place was relatively quiet. Bed was old but ok.
Negatives:
No shampoo available. Cleaning staff said they were "waiting on a shipment of shampoo". Ok. I always keep a spare, but, c'mon, Walmart has those little sample bottles by the 100's. If you run out, go buy some to get you through the day.
OLD CRT television. Lots of channels, but poor picture quality on a small Screen. Unacceptable for a 3-star room in 2014. Furniture has been around for a LONG time. Pretty beat up.
Lots of trash and accumulated leaves, papers around the rear of the building and parking lot. Hey, take an hour or so to clean up the place.
Now, get this: I go down for the "Free FULL Hot Breakfast" advertised on the website. Guess what? It consisted of one pan of grits, some shredded cheese, juice, bread and bagels to toast and coffee. No eggs or breakfast meat. They had a couple of sugary kids cereal dispensers loaded up, but the attendant said they unfortunately were out of milk for the cereal, so no go on that. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they just laughed and said that they had had a family reunion over the weekend and they had "wiped them out". Well, y'know, just run down to the 7-11 and buy a couple of gallons of milk. The supermarket has plenty of eggs and bacon. This is a three star hotel supposedly.
So... Here's the deal: This place does not rate even a 2-star level. I would not recommend this for anyone who is accustomed to typical hotel of this rating. It just is not in the game.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It was reasonably priced and in a great location. What I enjoyed most was the hot buffet breakfast and the indoor pool. The hotel offers a map of the area. My check in went great. The lady who does the breakfast is outstanding and should be commended.

• Stayed July 2014
New Bern, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were given a 'suite'. I was the most run down room I have ever seen. The nicest thing I can say about the room was that I didn't see any roaches, but I was sure I would. I am assuming they have more recently renovated rooms, like maybe the ones they show you online, but our room had furniture the Salvation Army would have turned down. Old TV's, insufficient lighting, horrible pillows, no extra blankets, bathroom so small you had to open the door to dress.

The pool, advertised as the largest in the area, is pretty small & was naturally out of order when we arrived... 4th of July w/e. No restaurant & the breakfast bar was borderline.. Our 2ed & thankfully last day a women that works there stopped me from taking coffee & toast back to the room. Really! "You can't take food out of here". While she was stopping me her friends were walking out with trays of stuff. She was less than nice & not at all professional. Really, toast?

Our "suite' has a fridge, small dishwasher & stove, micro, coffee maker that didn't work, toaster that did, one cup, one glass, 2 plates & exactly 5 pieces of silverware. No pots, pan, dish soap, etc. The couch was very uncomfortable & dirty. The carpet so filthy you left tracks on the white tile of the tiny bathroom & even the concrete outside.

Staff was 50-50.. very nice here & totally uncaring & rude there.

It is NOT IN CITY CENTER. Maybe 2 miles away. There is a nasty Budget motel right next door & a Waffle House on the other side. We were concerned about our safety. Not a good neighborhood. Lots of unsavory people walking around late at night & people peeping in our windows 3X that I saw.

Spend the extra $$ & go somewhere else. If they have the nerve to rent such a horrible room & fuss about coffee & toast, then you are definite not in good hands.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have to stay here make sure they give you a newly renovated room. I'd ask to...
Accokeek, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is gross. The curtains were hanging off the broken rod, dead bugs on the floor, old tv, cheap indoor outdoor carpet, bedding was as thin as tissue paper, the bathroom was not clean. Soap scum in the tub along with this nasty tub Matt that was dirty and peeling up. We left immediately.

• Stayed July 2014
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Hotel is older but was very clean for our visit. The king room was substantially bigger than the double. We stayed in the tower portion of the hotel. The front desk staff were very polite! The toiletries were very cute - even including mouthwash - and were Bath and Body Works brand, even the soap! Breakfast was yummy and diverse and was offered until 10 a.m. Loved the touch of cold water in the lobby.
The location to Williamsburg is great - just about 15 minutes to Busch Gardens. The trip to the beach was about 45 minutes, depending on the atrocious traffic and construction slow down.

Room Tip: King size room!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!