“Pleasant Surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Newport News
Altadena, ca
“Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

From the outside the place looks like a run down motel. My kids were getting a little upset until they walked in. A little update to the outside is greatly needed. The interior looks welcoming and clean. The cleaning solutions odor is not the best but not the worse either. The front desk staff were both very friendly and the room maintenance were very welcoming and seemed to take pride in their work. The pool area is okay. It was in the 90's outside and the pool area was about 105 degrees. The pool water was warm as well..not hot as a Jacuzzi but more of a cooled down bath water temp. My kids didn't mind and neither did I since you didn't get that " Im freezing" feel getting in or out of the water. Just a little different than what we're use to. Overall we enjoyed the stay. Oh yes,Only one device can use the wifi at a time.

Room Tip: If its possible make sure you dont get a room in the motel looking area of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Suffolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Walked in the lobby and it had an indescribable odor that stayed in my clothes. The front desk lady was pleasant and professional. The same cant be said for the other staff. A maintenance person and a person behind the desk made sexual comments about a female guest within hearing distance of my wife. Driving through the parking lot there were at east 5 people just hanging around in the parking lot. There was a car on blocks being worked on. The room was dark and dingy. I refused to stay at this dump and took my family elsewhere. When I emailed the company I never received a return email. DO NOT stay here, un book your reservation.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Washington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Purchased a 3-star Secret Hot Rate through Hotwire and was assigned this hotel. This is an older facility, but has been maintained. The facility looks as if it has been added onto through the years. The buildings on the front and right side are exterior entrance motel rooms and the rooms off the right of the lobby and adjacent to the pool are interior corridor rooms. We stayed in the 2-story interior corridor building adjacent to the pool. In addition to ice and a soda machine in vending area were 2 sets of washers & dryers. The room was clean and nicely appointed.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn (HI) two weeks earlier. Since it is a comparable 3-star hotel directly across the street, I'm going to compare the two:

1. HI had a digital thermostat, PPS had a control knob on the unit.
2. PPS had a nice ice bucket and 4 glass old-fashion glasses, like HI.
3. PPS had a standard definition box TV, whereas HI had a high definition flat screen.
4. Both had a refrigerator/microwave combo.
5. Both has an in room coffee maker, but PPS had only foam cups.
6. Both hotels have full beds. PPS beds were soft and comfortable. HI beds were firm pillow-top. My personal preference was PPS.
7. Both had a large comfortable easy chair.
8. Both had large clean bathrooms. PPS had the same type of shower head as HI and had better water pressure.

Unlike HI, breakfast was included. It was comparable to the HI fare and was very good. Unlike HI, which had real plates and silverware, PPG had plastic utensils and foam plates. The breakfast room is very large and seats around 80 people.

The hotel has an indoor pool. There were at least 1 middle school baseball team and 1 middle school basket ball team staying at the hotel. The pool was full of rowdy kids and partying adults the night we arrived, so we steered clear. I went to the pool Sunday morning for a swim, but a sign on the door stated "Temporarily out of order". The hotel has a nice workout room with treadmill, stationary bike, free weights and weight bench.

For the same price, I'd pick HI over PPS, however overall, the stay was nice and we would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Fort Washington, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed here last weekend and had an unexpected glitch with my credit card. Dawn was so patient and helpful and troubleshooted with me until we were able to get a resolution from my credit card company. Instead of having to stay in the park (LOL), she made sure that my travel needs were met with a smile, graciousness, and efficiency.

Thank you Dawn! I had a nice room, great full breakfast both days, and would absolutely stay again.

D, Fort Washington, MD

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel while we were visiting Christopher Newport University. We had a couple of hiccups when we checked in but the hotel more than made up for them! Dawn at the front desk was friendly, helpful and fun to work with. Breakfast was a plus too. Bottom line, we selected this hotel because of its proximity to the university and the reasonable price. We would definitely stay here again if we're back in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mike A, Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
The Point Plaza Suites Hotel was pleased to have hosted your family on your recent visit to Christopher Newport University [CNU]. The entire staff thanks you for giving us the opportunity to show you our version of Virginia Hospitality. I will be sure to let Dawn know that you appreciated her friendly, helpful, and fun service.

We look forward to serving your lodging needs again when you next visit Christopher Newport University [CNU]. Go Captains!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Point Plaza was the perfect resting place for myself and my children while we visited family in Newport News. The staff was very accommodating and friendly; we were greeted with a smile by everyone we encountered. The lobby area was very inviting and warm, with a comfortable elegance that welcomes you in. The room was well appointed with a large-ish mini fridge and microwave, dvd player (and movies available to borrow), desk, and comfy easy chair in addition to the two beds. The free breakfast, served buffet style, was amazing -- much better than I would have expected!! There was a wide variety of items to choose from and it all tasted fresh and delicious. There is an indoor pool and movie room. Point Plaza is very convenient. We visited the Virginia Living Museum, Yorktown Beach and the Mariner's Museum, all of which were only minutes from the hotel. It was also a short and easy drive (less than 30 minutes) to historic Williamsburg. This was our first trip to Newport News and won't be our last. Point Plaza will definitely our choice for accommodations in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, close to the lobby (room 290). It was very comfortable and quiet; howe...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing at the Point Plaza Suites Hotel. We strive to offer exceptionally friendly service and are pleased that you felt so welcomed and appreciated during your stay. We are very proud of our free full hot breakfast and are please that you and your family were so pleased with our offerings.

I will let the entire staff know of your kind praise. We look forward to serving your lodging needs again soon when you visit family in Newport News.

Thanks
Nags Head, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed on the fourth floor and upon walking in I was impressed how clean the area was. The room was large with a spacious bathroom. The luggage holder was broken, the television was an older model and most of the channels were fuzzy and I had to clean out the drawers before I put my clothes inside. But, I really didn't mind, since we weren't spending a lot of time in the room. The bed was very comfortable, although I would've liked 1 more pillow, there were only 3 for the king size bed. The internet was spotty, moved very slow and two computers could not be on the same wifi connection at the same time. The floor was quiet, no loud noises, no children running around and no parties. The breakfast was the main attraction. It was delicious! My only wish was that we would've made breakfast the first morning, instead of going to IHOP, but we didn't get up in time to enjoy their breakfast. The Point Plaza breakfast beat the breakfast I paid for, at IHOP by a mile! All in all, the stay was pleasant, quiet and definitely a good deal at $55 a night. We will consider staying again, if we are back in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiet and the windows open, which was nice since I prefer the air from outside ins...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
At the Point Plaza Suites Hotel we know you have many options when selecting a hotel in Newport News. Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write a guest review about your stay.

We are certainly please that you were please with our free full hot breakfast and that you thought that we offered an exceptional value. Clearly, we missed the mark on the broken luggage holder, and the older model TV. We will revisit our preventative maintenance procedures to identify the broken luggage rack before our guests do. We have plans to upgrade our TV's and hope to have this completed before your next stay with us.

Thank you again for the compliments and the suggestions for how we can improve your experience.

We hope to see you again soon at the Point Plaza Suites Hotel, Newport News.

Thanks

Been to Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!