Purchased a 3-star Secret Hot Rate through Hotwire and was assigned this hotel. This is an older facility, but has been maintained. The facility looks as if it has been added onto through the years. The buildings on the front and right side are exterior entrance motel rooms and the rooms off the right of the lobby and adjacent to the pool are interior corridor rooms. We stayed in the 2-story interior corridor building adjacent to the pool. In addition to ice and a soda machine in vending area were 2 sets of washers & dryers. The room was clean and nicely appointed.
We stayed in the Holiday Inn (HI) two weeks earlier. Since it is a comparable 3-star hotel directly across the street, I'm going to compare the two:
1. HI had a digital thermostat, PPS had a control knob on the unit.
2. PPS had a nice ice bucket and 4 glass old-fashion glasses, like HI.
3. PPS had a standard definition box TV, whereas HI had a high definition flat screen.
4. Both had a refrigerator/microwave combo.
5. Both has an in room coffee maker, but PPS had only foam cups.
6. Both hotels have full beds. PPS beds were soft and comfortable. HI beds were firm pillow-top. My personal preference was PPS.
7. Both had a large comfortable easy chair.
8. Both had large clean bathrooms. PPS had the same type of shower head as HI and had better water pressure.
Unlike HI, breakfast was included. It was comparable to the HI fare and was very good. Unlike HI, which had real plates and silverware, PPG had plastic utensils and foam plates. The breakfast room is very large and seats around 80 people.
The hotel has an indoor pool. There were at least 1 middle school baseball team and 1 middle school basket ball team staying at the hotel. The pool was full of rowdy kids and partying adults the night we arrived, so we steered clear. I went to the pool Sunday morning for a swim, but a sign on the door stated "Temporarily out of order". The hotel has a nice workout room with treadmill, stationary bike, free weights and weight bench.
For the same price, I'd pick HI over PPS, however overall, the stay was nice and we would stay there again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Point Plaza Hotel Newport News
- Point Plaza Hotel And Conference