“Deceiving: Photos on line show a much upgraded hotel—NOT!” 2 of 5 stars

Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23601   |
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Newport News
Odenton, Maryland
“Deceiving: Photos on line show a much upgraded hotel—NOT!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Upon arriving and checking in, we were told at check in our room was a standard double; I replied, our reservation was for a Suite, Non Smoking King. I was told our reservation came through as a standard double; thankfully, I had printed out the reservation confirmation. Dawn, the guest service personnel, asked to see (as if I was lying); however, I handed it to her. She said they didn’t have any King Suites available. I insisted we had a reservation; Dawn said she could refund our monies to our credit card, notify Priceline, and we could get a room at another hotel chain. I was shocked to say the least. I replied, well, I guess I can blog on this. She said that would not be nice. I said I had a reservation…period. Well, she finally found a room…uh? Interesting.

Our room was located half way around to the back; a parking lot entrance, which I don't mind, but it did lend to the overall "budget" feel of the place. The room smelled of smoke and something else. Make sure to request a non-smoking room and even if you do, the room will still smell like smoke and it was quite irritating to my eyes and my allergies. I returned to the front desk, and mentioned this to the staff, Dawn, and she informed us that the room was non-smoking. I replied another guest then had previously smoked in it and asked if there was another room. Dawn replied there were no other rooms--they were booked up; however, we could refund your monies, notify Priceline, etc. I asked her if she had any room spray; she came back with a bottle. I said we could try it. She walked to the room with us and quickly replied the room did not smell of smoke. I disagreed; we sprayed some on the floor-it was a hideous smell. Again, Dawn replied she could refund our monies so we could make a reservation at another hotel—at this point I was completely did not like Dawn or the hotel policy.

We kept the room, it was about 1050 at night; we were tired and we had a reservation. We went to the local Food Lion and purchased room spray, carpet spray, Lysol, and Febreze. We did the entire room and it did help.

The walls are paper thin…rooms are not very quite. We could hear the guests on each side of us and above us. The noise was very distracting especially at 1AM to 4AM. The guests decided since it was a Friday night, they could be up all night, be loud, have arguments, bounce a ball on the floor, have their TV’s loud and be very rude to the other guests. The guests were very inconsiderate of the other guests which may have different schedule and obligations for the next such as a funeral, a graduation, or even a very long road trip in which they would need their sleep. Noise levels between rooms are distracting!

The photos on the website make the hotel look much more upscale than it really is. The foyer is lovely and the breakfast area is nice, but the rooms, while very spacious, definitely need upgrading - the furniture showed lots of wear. The room photos also show much better rooms, then we stayed in…our kitchen area was dirty, the bathroom door was peeling and cracking, the vent fan had dust and perhaps mildew in it as did the one in the kitchen. The photos on line show a bed with nice lines; however, ours had holes in it and a very old bedspread not what was shown on the site—photo shoot was staged. The carpet was worn, the wall paper was coming off the walls, and the furniture had gouges. The swimming pool was huge as they say, and we had it to ourselves. The photos show it with trees, palm trees and nicely styled for a photo shoot.
It seems any upgrades that have been made in the past few years have been focused on the lobby and other "public" areas - which gives a great first impression, but can make for some disappointment when getting to your room—all the photos on the site are most certainly “staged” for a photo shoot.

We have determined, there could be some suites at this location on the interior area of the hotel which are the shots/photos seen on line and you can have those if you pay the full price; however, if you go through Priceline or other discounted sites, you will get the old, the tired, the used, the smelly rooms. They have those set aside for those which use discounted sites.

Good points:
• The bathroom toiletries are Bath and Body Works--a really nice touch.
• The breakfast was good - though some items listed on the website were not available; yogurt was not available, nor was hot chocolate. The “broiled” ham did not taste good either.
• The suite itself IS very spacious, and this is a great option for a family with kids on a budget, especially with the kitchen.

All King Suites are different. Not a bad stay for the price; however, since the photos show the hotel in a different light, please make sure you are not surprised…all King Suites are different: you have your low budget King Suites and then you have those that are for the guests which did not use a site for a discounted price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Center. We are sorry to hear that the room that you reserved was not available upon check-in. Unfortunately when a guest books through a Third Party Site like Priceline, the reservation does not always come through correctly. Thank you for all of your comments about your suite. Would you mind sending an email to Loni@beckcompanyhotels.com with your name or suite number so that we can address these issues? Thank you for your business and for your help in making us a better hotel. We hope that we can address these issues for you and that you will try us again next time you are in the Newport News area. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

When I saw how little I was paying for the room I got worried, and when I saw all the construction worker trucks in the lot, I got even more worried. The hotel itself is an older hotel, however, from the extremely friendly check-in, too upgrading my room for free, and the size of the large suite, it was very well worth it. TV in the living room with couch, and large office desk, full size kitchen with full size refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, stovetop, coffee maker, bedroom with 2 full size dressers, two night stands, large closet with safe. The daily room service was great too.

I stayed for 2 weeks on business, and I will definitely stay here again if I return to Newport News.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your complimentary upgrade! Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you again soon in Newport News!
Hampton Roads, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We Pricelined this hotel for two nights over New Year's via their last minute deal offer, which allowed us to choose our room type (non-smoking King Suite), though the property itself was not revealed until the purchase was made. The photos on the website make the hotel look much more upscale than it really is. The foyer is lovely and the breakfast area is nice, but the rooms, while very spacious, definitely need upgrading - the furniture showed lots of wear. It seems any upgrades that have been made in the past few years have been focused on the lobby and other "public" areas - which gives a great first impression, but can make for some disappointment when getting to your room.

When we got to the hotel, we were told that they only had a regular King or Double Suite available. We were told that Priceline only sent them our smoking preference. We took the double suite, then contacted Priceline, who offered a full refund or 20% discount. Not wanting to look for a different hotel at the last minute during a holiday, we took the discount.

The room/suite itself IS very spacious, and this is a great option for a family with kids on a budget, especially with the kitchen (the small stove even had an oven). The bathroom toiletries are Bath and Body Works, and that is a really nice touch. We did not have any problems with noise - probably because we were at a building toward the back of the property with exterior entrances (which I don't mind, but it did lend to the overall "budget" feel of the place). It was also hard to get a consistent temperature in our room and the toilet would run and run if you didn't sometimes jiggle the handle.

The breakfast was good - though some items listed on the website were not available. I would have liked to see more healthy options, like yogurt. The coffee was weak - but I am very picky when it comes to coffee and rarely like hotel coffee.

Overall, not a bad stay at what we paid via Priceline, but I probably wouldn't choose this property again. I think that the competition of the chain suite hotels has really hurt them.

Room Tip: I think all the suites have exterior entrances.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our lobby and other areas of our hotel as well as how spacious our suites are. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast and that your toilet was running. Would you mind sending an email to Loni@beckcompanyhotels.com with your name and suite number (if you remember) so that we can have our Engineering Department take care of the issue? Thank you again for your review and for your help in making us a better hotel.
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

When we first pulled up you see alot of contractor pick up trucks-- so my first thought was --OH NO-- and than I was pleasantly surprised by the welcoming lobby and our room. I never saw any contractors except for morning breakfast which there was plenty of seating so that was not a problem. Maybe they keep familes and contractors working nearby in the city in separate buildings at the hotel. WE were checked in right away upon arrival. We had the whole indoor pool to ourselves and what was nice about the pool area is they kept the room very warm -- as soon as you entered the pool area it was as if you were in florida and it was 83degrees. The water was warm and comfortable and the temperature outside was 39degrees--you couldnt even tell it was cold outside. We were was able to swim without shivering which was a nice surprise as compared to other hotels i stayed at. Our room had two beds and was a nice size. If i had neighbors -- I didnt hear them at all. We had a tv, dvr and fridge in our room. The bathroom shampoo and conditioner were Bath/Body Works brand. Room was clean, Hallways were clean. Pool area was clean. I would stay here again. It was a pleasant surprise and the guest there whether they were families or working men who just needed a room to sleep went unnoticed and didnt disturb. THe hotel is big-- some rooms you access from the outside however our room you could only access from an interior corridor. The breakfast that was complimentary was fine. They had scrambled eggs and I added the shredded cheddar cheese as well as salsa which i normally never would and it was pretty good for Free.

Room Tip: You could ask to stay near the lobby to be close to the entryway of the pool and still have plenty o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit an excellent review and for staying with us at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a chance to enjoy our pool as well. Glad that breakfast was enjoyable for you. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you are in Newport News. Thank you again for your review.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The photos of this place make it seem like a really elegant place to stay. It's not. It's the kind of place where you can drive up to your room. The hotel staff wouldn't even look at me until check in time at 3p, even thought I got there at 1p. Most hotels will at least try to accommodate an "early" check in, but not them...

I assumed the worst about the rooms, but was pleasantly surprised. Spacious, clean, nondescript. Overall, I can't complain. It's a place for travelers on a budget and it's not terrible. They have a pretty good continental buffet, also.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that we could not accommodate your early check-in. When a guest checks out, housekeeping has to clean the rooms and then management has to inspect the rooms to make sure that they are thoroughly clean. It is not always possible to accommodate early check-ins. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the breakfast. Thank you again for your review.
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I got an on-line discount for this stay, but even at full price I would still be enthusiastic about the hotel. My room was very large, well appointed, really comfortable beds, plenty of hot water pressure, nice toiletries. I was able to modulate the heat in the room, thank goodness, because I prefer to sleep in a cool room. This hotel had hospitable, courteous and efficient staff; reception area was a pleasant place to hang out with comfortable couches, gas fire places and pretty good coffee accessible 24/7. Free computer as well as good wi-fi signal. Breakfast included hot entrees (myo waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage) etc. and was perfectly fine for two mornings but I was ready to eat out on the third. One of the three nights I was there, as I walked down the hallway, I could hear my neighbors were being extra cheerfully noisy after 11 pm, but once I was in the room the sound was muted and absolutely tolerable. Due to the type of clientel (families, business people) I have no doubt that had I asked them, or asked the staff to ask them, to be a little more quiet, they would have complied. Right next to Hwy 64, but you don't hear the highway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us next time you are in Newport News! Thank you again for your review.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel are the staff. The walls were paper thin, we're were woken up at 4 am by the neighbors alarm. There were even guests running up and down the halls until 11pm. If that didn't make it hard enought to fall asleep the air unit in the room was obviously broken, it was really loud and every time it clicked on there was a loud bang. I wishi had brought my own pillow as well, out of the 8 pillows in the room,I couldn't find a single one that wasn't hard and lumpy...the hotel was very clean, but not worth staying here again...

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. I have passed along your review to management for further review. Please also contact me at Loni@BeckCompanyHotels.com so we can obtain additional information about your stay. Thank you again for your review and for your help in making us a better hotel.

Been to Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!