“Don't even think about staying here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Key West Inn

Save Saved
You added Key West Inn to your Saves list
Key West Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   11845 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA 23606 (Formerly Centerstone Inn Newport News)   |
Ranked #16 of 37 hotels in Newport News
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't even think about staying here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Poor service on arrival. Non-smoking room smelt of smoke and sweat. Beds had bed bugs, uncomfortable and very squeaky. Half size pillows that practically went flat when you put your head on them and the staff would not provide extra pillows. Doors, tap handles and lights were broken. Very noisy in the rooms, you could hear guests in other rooms using showers and toilets and noise from outside. Free continental breakfast consists of weak percolated coffee with powdered creamer, orange juice and bagels only. I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me. Nothing good about this place at all.

Room Tip: Book in to another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I have stayed at this location for over a month now, and have experienced oustanding service at an excellent location, central to popular amenities and transportation routes! I highly recommend this location to anyone coming to this area, either for a short or long term trip!

Room Tip: ask for the steakhouse side of the hotel!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Georgeton, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I've stayed at this particular Econo twice in the past. My first time was uneventful and even though the place needed renovation,...the price of a jacuzzi room and the hotel's location were perfect so no complaints. My last stay did it for me. The hotel advertised new rooms and renovation but our room still looked run down down with a frige that didn't work,...missing light bulbs and a non-smoking room that smelled of heavy smoke. The final straw was the fact that out of the 3 nights we stayed 2 of the nights there was no hot water. Explaining to me how old the equipment was and that it takes time to warm up was what I got when contacting the front desk. YES,....the staff is very freindly and management is professional,...but that alone does not make up for a very uncomfortable stay. I will say here that management knocked off a significant amount from my bill because of the hot water issue and I appreciated that,....but never again will I stay at this establishment.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We are profusely sorry that you came on the weekend of the water heater problems. We had our onsite maintenance man and a contractor as well as virginia gas working around the clock trying to fix the problems that weekend. Unfortunately, they weren't able to pinpoint the problem until after you left. It is reassuring to us, as management, that at least you had a previous stay that went well without a hitch. On the otherhand, thank you for the compliments towards our management team and our staff. We truly appreciate the feedback and are happy that at least you were satisfied with the customer service. We will continue to strive to involve management in making sure all room standards are met for all future customers. We hope, that because of the first good experience and the fact that you were compensated for the bad one, you will come stay with us again, and let us make the next stay even more successful than either of the ones you've already had. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Despite it being posted as a non-smoking room, our room seriously smelled of cigarette smoke. The carpet looked and felt dirty, and the bathroom was moldy with badly patched walls. On the plus side, the beds were comfortable and the front staff were very friendly. The location was good for shopping and dining, was close to the university that we were visiting and was relatively inexpensive. Still, if I were staying longer than one night, I would look for another hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Thank you for your review and your feedback. Thank you for the compliments towards our staff, they are our most valuable asset at Econo Lodge Oyster Point. We apologize that your stay was not satisfactory, however, we have just hired a maintenance man on site, as well as a head housekeeper whose sole job is to make sure that our rooms measure up to industry standards as far as cleanliness goes. We hope that in light of recent changes you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you!
Beaufort, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Firstly, I travel a lot. I'm a Choice Hotels diamond elite member and this is decidedly one of their best kept secrets. I've stayed here several times and the staff have always been extraordinarily friendly and helpful. If there's ever been any type of issue I've let them know and they've always responded in a rapid and courteous manner. Not the surly, "I was trying to finish watching my show." response too often found in value hotels. The rooms are invariably clean and comfortable, and even the cleaning staff are friendly. I don't know that I haven't received a smile and a "good morning" anytime I've bumped into one of them. The place has always been quiet, and I've never been awakened by doors crashing, people yelling, or the ever-dreaded "listening to the racket in the next room because of too-thin walls." Best of all...the price is right. Check out the "Choice Hotels" website and try to find another in the tidewater area to match their rate. Especially now, with the summer travel season coming. If you want a good, comfortable place to stay at a very reasonable cost, you can't miss.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Thank you so much for your valuable review. We are truly lucky to have regular customers like you that come in and are so loyal to us. We appreciate you staying with us and promise to be dedicated to your needs as time goes on. Thank you again from the WHOLE staff at Econo Lodge Oyster Point! Please come see us again soon!
Portsmouth, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Well, it looked fairly new in the photos. I believe, as I sit here looking around, that every piece of furniture has damage. The fridge can't be opened unless you lean it back due to missing base pieces. Goodness knows if it works. The shower/tub does not drain and there is much black mildew in the bathroom. Taking a shower standing in 2" of cold water is *not* fun. There are badly patched holes in the walls of both the bathroom and the room. The heatlamp is not a heatlamp, it has a basic 60w bulb in it and the timer does not work. There is *no* alarm clock. *no* hairdryer, *no* fitted sheet on the bed (just a plain sheet tucked in) the towels are threadbare, this place is just worn out. It was inexpensive, the guy at the front desk is nice, but I'm glad we are only here 1 night. We were too tired and too unpacked to go look for another hotel. I wouldn't stay here again, and I probably won't want to stay at another Econo Lodge again as a result of this stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
We thank you for your review. We are also very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and ran into these problems. However, we appreciate the feedback, and will try to anticipate any such problems that may arise, ahead of time.

Been to Key West Inn? Share your experiences!