“Average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Mill, SC
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Convenient location and lobby & other amenities were well appointed; however, room was not in the best shape. The carpet was stained & looked dirty, the towel rod in bathroom was bent and the room had a slightly musty odor.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear acmath,

Thank you for the comments about my hotel; the Courtyard Marriott Newport News Airport. We try very hard to make every hotel stay a great hotel experience.

As the new General Manager, I wanted to make sure that I respond to each and every TripAdvisor comment; no matter how old. So, please accept my apologies for the tardiness of this response.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in one of our guest rooms. Currently, we are inspecting each guest room for exactly what you experienced; stains on the carpet.

I hope that you will try us again...a lot has changed 3 years. We're a lot better now!

Take care and be safe in your travels,

Elizabeth A. Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I was very impressed with this Marriot. The lobby area was just beautiful. My co-worker and I sat in the lobby to catch up on email. We were totally relaxed here and didn't feel like we were even working! The room was even better than the lobby, which is saying a lot! I absolutely loved the decor. Everything in the room was of high quality and very functional. I do have one issue with the bathroom however. I think this has more to do with the cleaning people than the hotel itself. The shower had signs of hard water buildup and maybe mildew in the grout. The bathroom is the most important room in a hotel to keep clean. It can really make or break the experience. The shower is large with bench seating and looks to be very newly renovated. Such a shame it hadn't been cleaned properly! The bed was the cherry on top of my experience. I hadn't slept that well away from home in maybe a year I think. I didn't want to get up to go out of the room! We didn't eat anything in the hotel but the food smelled good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, as long as the cleaning crew steps it up!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CYNewportNews, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
My sincere apologies of the cleanliness of your bathroom, I have forwarded your experience to our Executive Housekeeper, so we can ensure that our bathrooms are cleaned up to par. I’m pleased that you and your co-worker enjoy our lobby and that you have a great night sleep in our bed. We hope that the next time you are in the area you come back and stay with us and we will ensure that our bathrooms will be up to par, Until then, safe travels!
Morro Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

What a great hotel....love the open layout of the lobby; cool computer area, nice seating areas for meetings, eating, high tech TV’s. Really nice design! Hope the Marriott redesigns the other Courtyards like this. Rarely come out of my room after settled in for the evening. I came downstairs every morning and evening to swim, eat and chat a little with the warm staff. Nice clean room with comfortable beds and free internet. "The French toast with fresh strawberries is a must"

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
CYNewportNews, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel was the first prototype of the new style of Courtyard by Marriott, eventually all the Courtyards will have the same design! We hope that you return the next time your in town!
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Easy to find off of I-64, although I came in from 173/143 and found it just as easily. The surrounding area is home to several strip malls, a shopping mall, and restaurants -everything you could want is close by. The lobby has a Starbucks, business area, and Internet area. Check in was swift and the clerk was very friendly and helpful. The room was fabulous, even though it was on the small side due to the king bed and multiple pieces of furniture. Two people would be comfortable, though. The bed linens were good quality and the bed, although on the firm side, was quiet comfortable. I enjoyed a very peaceful night's sleep. The bathroom was really cool. No old outdated bathtub with slow drainage here. This bathroom has a glass enclosed shower that could actually fit two people (although there's only one shower head). I found a more than ample supply of towels and washcloths, that looked nice, but were on the thin side. The room also had the cutest little "bar" area that housed the coffee maker, glasses, and the mini fridge. Flat screen TV, quiet air conditioning system that you control, clean and inviting hallways, well-lit and ample front side parking - a gem in this growing area of Newport News. I just hope that this property maintains it present-day standards in the coming years.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
CYNewportNews, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful response! We hope to see you next time when you are in the area, safe travels!
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I am a Platinum Preferred member, so am not easily impressed. Really nicely designed and furnished hotel that is centrally located to Norfolk, Williamsburg, and Virginia Beach (depending upon I64 tunnel traffic). Staff is pleasant, drinks and food are good. Good value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
CYNewportNews, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thanks for your kind words. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

This Courtyard Marriott is apparently pretty new. The decor is fresh and clean, and our room was as well. We were attending the Hampton Jazz Festival and there is easy access to I-64 to get to Hampton, Williamsburg or Virginia Beach, and we visited all three places. However, at times, the traffic was terrible on I-64. If you're going back and forth to Williamsburg, consider using Route 143 or Route 60. But back to the hotel. The lobby area is very nice, and it has a nice snack bar that also serves alcohol. The happy hour prices are very good, but some of the food items are a bit pricey, eg, the $11 chicken ceasar salad. The only small glitch we had was that housekeeping only left one wash cloth after cleaning the room. The front desk promised to bring more cloths, but never did so. I had to go down later that night and get them because the guy at the desk was apparently alone and couldn't leave. Otherwise, I have no complaints and would return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear fwy,

Thank you for the lovely comments about my hotel, the housekeeping department and the Bistro! At Courtyard Marriott Newport News Airport we try very hard to make every hotel stay a hotel experience.

As the new General Manager, I wanted to make sure that I respond to each and every TripAdvisor comment; no matter how old. So, please accept my apologies for the tardiness of getting back to you.

Please let me know if you are in the area, we would love to have you stay again. We still have rooms available for jazz weekend 2014!

Take care and be safe in your travels,

Elizabeth A. Parker
La Plata, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I booked this room for my CNU Graduation ceremonies. I was in such a hurry to get to the ceremonies that I left my purse, with my new engraved ipod touch inside, among other things. Well.....needless to say.......when I went back to the hotel to retreive my purse, housekeeping had already cleaned the room. The housekeeper did not turn anything in to the front desk, except my phone charger that I left plugged in the wall outlet. My purse was a limited edition "COACH" that cost me $475 and my ipod touch cost me $200. This weekend COST ME A FORTUNE !! My advise to you.........DON"T LEAVE ANYTHING BEHIND BY MISTAKE.........it won't be there when you get back !!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport? Share your experiences!