“Good location, nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good location, nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Courtyard is located near the airport and I64. Easy location to get around Hampton Roads, Williamsburg area. Hotel staff is friendly, good location for families or business people. My second stay, service is consistent (good).

Room Tip: Good hotel for families, nice seating area in the back of hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hello JPC_TP,

Thank you for selecting my hotel as your choice of hotels in the Hampton Roads area.

The staff and I work very hard to make sure that each guest has an exceptional hotel experience. Many guests choose this hotel, as you mentioned in your review; because of its location to so many attractions, restaurants and the interstate.

Again, thank you for selecting us and I hope that we get to see you again real soon!

Elizabeth A. Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I visit Newport News often as my son attends CNU. I usually stay next door at the Residence Inn but the rate was much higher for this visit so I opted for a suite at this Courtyard.

The lobby is very inviting. It has a lobby bar/food service area which comes in handy for light snacks or a glass of wine. Very reasonable prices during happy hour and they will allow you to take your drinks to your room.

At first glance, the room appeared very comfortable. I opted for a suite with a separate room so my son and I can have some privacy. I noticed that the room was right next to the elevators which always concerns me as I have had previous sleepless nights listening to the ding of an elevator. Sure enough, I could clearly hear the constant ding of the elevator and the swooshing sound of the elevators go up and down. I immediately called the front desk to see if I could change rooms but was told that the hotel was full and all of the suites were located next to the elevators anyway so a change of room wasn't going to help.

Sure enough, even with earplugs, I could hear the swooshing of the elevators and the dinging (even at 2 am? where do people go in Newport News at 2 am?) all night long.

It's unfortunate that this one bad experience set the tone for the entire stay.

I will be staying in the suites at the Residence Inn from now on. Sometimes you just can't put a price on a good night's rest.

Room Tip: Stay away from the suites unless the dinging of an elevator doesn't drive you crazy all night.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear BroncoFaninVA,

Your hotel experience is very important to me. First, I want to thank you for writing this review. Second, I'm sorry that we were not able to move you to another guest room. Unfortunately, the night of your stay we were sold out.

Upon your return, please reach out to me to make reservations. It would be my pleasure to personally make them for you. We do have other suites that are not as close as the room you occupied during your stay by the elevators.

Again thank you for your comments and I'm a Bronco's fan too!

Joshua, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I was to fly out of NewportNews, Va on July 9th 2014 but because of inclement weather in Charlotte, N.C my flight was canceled as were many others. When i re-booked for the next day i asked the ticket agent if they were giving hotel vouchers for hotel stays. He said yes and i was issued a voucher for The Courtyard Marriott. This place was amazing!!!! I was greeted with a smile and checked in promptly. The room was very large, clean and I heard very little from other rooms. I have stayed in other Marriotts, but this by far was the nicest! The only draw back was this particular one did not have a continental breakfast, I had to buy my breakfast, not a big deal but all the others i have been in have had them, nice when you don't expect to spend a night in a hotel *lol* anyway over all this was an amazing place! I would definately stay here if i vacation in NewportNews again but come earlier to take advantage of the pool and other things this Hotel has to offer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Beverly1951,

Thank you for those delightful comments about the Courtyard Newport News Airport!

Me and my staff try very hard to make sure that each guest has an exceptional hotel experience. It looks like we came through true blue!

If you are ever in the area again, I hope that we are your first choice.

Again, thank you and we look forward to checking you in.

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I made reservations in October 2013 for the 2014 Hampton Jazz Festival and I am elated that I did, because the hotel was sold out for this weekend. The lobby is sleek and modern, I love the hallway carpeting with it's vibrant colors. My room was very clean and contained everything a traveler would need; the fridge had come in handy. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the Hampton Coliseum, BUT allow yourself an hour to arrive to the event, traffic is a monster. The hotel does have opportunities to improve on the check-in and knowledge aspect: I waited approximately 10 minutes to check-in, because there was only one person at the desk and she carried on a conversation with the sole guest in front of me after she was given room keys. Also, I paid a few dollars more to have breakfast for 2 included, she responded that there is no free breakfast, thankfully I always print reservation documents which I highlighted and was then given tickets for breakfast. Upon showing her my $50 E-Card which is simply a gift cards, she told me that they may not be able to accept it because it was a special weekend(Hampton Jazz Fest), I told her that this is NOT a coupon, it's just a gift card which was purchased online instead of in-person; she later got a manager who keyed the info in and everything was cool. I just would have wished that the clerk would have consulted her manager earlier before telling me that breakfast was not included or the E-card may not be accepted, that could change a traveler's perception of the experience. The duvet/comforter is a little on the thin side, but it served its purpose. Check-out was easy and a great experience. I will return back to this location due to the cleanliness, style and proximity to the Hampton Coliseum and shopping centers.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast elsewhere
Green Features: The hotel is very environmentally friendly, the have notices throughout the room as reminders on how you can be as well.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hello Rjones621!

Thank you for those wonderful comments about the cleaniness, our location and our hotel decor/design.

Please accept my apologies for your wait at check in and that our front desk associate was un-aware of the proper process for your gift card. I'm really sorry that you had to wait so long.

Thank you for sharing these comments. We will only get better if we know what our guests experience.

Thomasville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed here in late May while on business. Beautiful hotel...looks new but was told it's 6 years old. Very friendly check in staff. Room was perfect. Loved the outdoor sitting areas around the fire pits where you could relax and watch planes take off but you won't hear any airplane noise. Close to Hampton, Norfolk, Williamsburg and Richmond if you're in those areas. Lots of places to eat close to hotel. Cracker Barrel is literally right around corner on same road. I would opt to go eat at CB instead of eating the $9.00 breakfast at hotel which is plentiful but bland. I will most definitely stay here again while on business.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ronnie W,

Thank you for those wonderful comments about my hotel.

My staff tries very hard to make sure that each guest has a exceptional hotel experience. From reading your review, it sounds like we did a pretty good job of that!

I'm sorry that you feel that our breakfast foods are a little bland. I'll share your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager to discuss options of how we can improve this.

Again, thank you for your review and I look forward to your next check-in!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Hotel is very nice and clean. It has a very nice lobby, great for hanging out with a group it is big and comfortable. They also have a nice courtyard out back. Beds are comfortable! We have stayed here a few times and are always happy!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear ReneeR,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about my hotel. We try very hard to make each guests hotel experience a happy one. I'm glad that we succeeded with you and your baseball team.

If you ever need further assistance in the Newport News area again, please don't hesitate to reach out to me for assistance. I'm here to help.

Again, thank you for taking the time to complete TripAdvisor's survey!

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this Marriott property many times, and will continue to do so when I'm in town visiting the in-laws. The staff has always been friendly and helpful, and the rooms clean and comfortable. I really like the lobby cafe that serves Starbucks coffee in the morning. Their fitness room is ok, with three treadmills, an elliptical or two, a stationary bike, some free weights, and a pulley tower--enough for a business maintenance workout.

This trip was a bit of an anomaly, however. My room was steamy hot and the spa was cold. They fixed the air conditioning (they also offered to move me to another room), but seemed puzzled when I asked if they could actually heat the spa, which was only a couple of degrees warmer than the pool and ambient air. Odd.

Despite this one-off trip, I give them four dots and will be back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Steve H,

Thank you for being a continued guest, here; at the Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulty that you experienced as a guest with your AC unit. My Chief Engineer has been investigating this issue. We did find a problem and it has been corrected. Now, the spa concern. We keep the Spa at a temperature of 102 degrees. I'm having my Chief look into that too.

Your hotel experience is important to me. I'm thankful that you have alerted me to the concerns of your most recent hotel stay. Believe me we're on it!

Again, thank you for your comments!