“Hampton Jazz Festival” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Hampton Jazz Festival”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I made reservations in October 2013 for the 2014 Hampton Jazz Festival and I am elated that I did, because the hotel was sold out for this weekend. The lobby is sleek and modern, I love the hallway carpeting with it's vibrant colors. My room was very clean and contained everything a traveler would need; the fridge had come in handy. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the Hampton Coliseum, BUT allow yourself an hour to arrive to the event, traffic is a monster. The hotel does have opportunities to improve on the check-in and knowledge aspect: I waited approximately 10 minutes to check-in, because there was only one person at the desk and she carried on a conversation with the sole guest in front of me after she was given room keys. Also, I paid a few dollars more to have breakfast for 2 included, she responded that there is no free breakfast, thankfully I always print reservation documents which I highlighted and was then given tickets for breakfast. Upon showing her my $50 E-Card which is simply a gift cards, she told me that they may not be able to accept it because it was a special weekend(Hampton Jazz Fest), I told her that this is NOT a coupon, it's just a gift card which was purchased online instead of in-person; she later got a manager who keyed the info in and everything was cool. I just would have wished that the clerk would have consulted her manager earlier before telling me that breakfast was not included or the E-card may not be accepted, that could change a traveler's perception of the experience. The duvet/comforter is a little on the thin side, but it served its purpose. Check-out was easy and a great experience. I will return back to this location due to the cleanliness, style and proximity to the Hampton Coliseum and shopping centers.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast elsewhere
Green Features: The hotel is very environmentally friendly, the have notices throughout the room as reminders on how you can be as well.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hello Rjones621!

Thank you for those wonderful comments about the cleaniness, our location and our hotel decor/design.

Please accept my apologies for your wait at check in and that our front desk associate was un-aware of the proper process for your gift card. I'm really sorry that you had to wait so long.

Thank you for sharing these comments. We will only get better if we know what our guests experience.

Elizabeth A. Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Thomasville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed here in late May while on business. Beautiful hotel...looks new but was told it's 6 years old. Very friendly check in staff. Room was perfect. Loved the outdoor sitting areas around the fire pits where you could relax and watch planes take off but you won't hear any airplane noise. Close to Hampton, Norfolk, Williamsburg and Richmond if you're in those areas. Lots of places to eat close to hotel. Cracker Barrel is literally right around corner on same road. I would opt to go eat at CB instead of eating the $9.00 breakfast at hotel which is plentiful but bland. I will most definitely stay here again while on business.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ronnie W,

Thank you for those wonderful comments about my hotel.

My staff tries very hard to make sure that each guest has a exceptional hotel experience. From reading your review, it sounds like we did a pretty good job of that!

I'm sorry that you feel that our breakfast foods are a little bland. I'll share your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager to discuss options of how we can improve this.

Again, thank you for your review and I look forward to your next check-in!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Hotel is very nice and clean. It has a very nice lobby, great for hanging out with a group it is big and comfortable. They also have a nice courtyard out back. Beds are comfortable! We have stayed here a few times and are always happy!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear ReneeR,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about my hotel. We try very hard to make each guests hotel experience a happy one. I'm glad that we succeeded with you and your baseball team.

If you ever need further assistance in the Newport News area again, please don't hesitate to reach out to me for assistance. I'm here to help.

Again, thank you for taking the time to complete TripAdvisor's survey!

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this Marriott property many times, and will continue to do so when I'm in town visiting the in-laws. The staff has always been friendly and helpful, and the rooms clean and comfortable. I really like the lobby cafe that serves Starbucks coffee in the morning. Their fitness room is ok, with three treadmills, an elliptical or two, a stationary bike, some free weights, and a pulley tower--enough for a business maintenance workout.

This trip was a bit of an anomaly, however. My room was steamy hot and the spa was cold. They fixed the air conditioning (they also offered to move me to another room), but seemed puzzled when I asked if they could actually heat the spa, which was only a couple of degrees warmer than the pool and ambient air. Odd.

Despite this one-off trip, I give them four dots and will be back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Steve H,

Thank you for being a continued guest, here; at the Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulty that you experienced as a guest with your AC unit. My Chief Engineer has been investigating this issue. We did find a problem and it has been corrected. Now, the spa concern. We keep the Spa at a temperature of 102 degrees. I'm having my Chief look into that too.

Your hotel experience is important to me. I'm thankful that you have alerted me to the concerns of your most recent hotel stay. Believe me we're on it!

Again, thank you for your comments!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is the 2nd time staying at this hotel and it was just as good the 2nd time as the first. Staff is on top of it! Best hotel in Hampton Roads. I live in Va. Bch and normally don't stay over nite when I am this close to home but this hotel rocks!! This hotel truly has it all. They let us grill out on the patio, kids played in the pool, TV and internet area in lobby it great. Even has a nice sitting area in the lobby to have a drink and talke. Fire pit on patio was great too. Check in and check out was a breeze. Can't say enough good things about this hotel.

Room Tip: Have stayed twice in 2 kinds of rooms and both were great!! not a bad room in the place that I know...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Michelle H,

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for the kind words.

Thank you for selecting our hotel again for your overnight accommodations. We LOVE REPEAT GUESTS!

If you or your family ever need anything on this side of the water, please let me know. We would love to have them be our guest too!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

The parents of my travel team loves this hotel . It doesn't matter when we stay it's always a great experience .
The General Manager Elizabeth Parker and Senior Sales Manager Kelli Lantz are simply amazing to deal with they are always willing to go the extra mike to assure the our baseball families are well taken care of and they even make a point to call after check out to follow up on our experience.
Now for the rooms . The beds are so comfortable which makes it difficult to wake up in the mornings , the rooms are always clean and refreshing .
I'm very picky about the sheets and towels and yes those are perfect as well .
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone or any group looking for a great place to stay .

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Sarobbins1973,

Thank you for that wonderful review!

Kelli and I want each guest to know how important they are to us. We want to make sure that your hotel experience is outstanding.

I'm glad that you and your family had a delightful time here. And, I look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Glen Burnie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nice suite with excellent bed mattresses, very presentable interior and exterior. Swimming pool, lobby and others are very clean and comfortable. I recommend this hotel if you plan to come to this area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear TravelBuddy777,

Thank you for selecting my hotel while visiting Newport News, Virginia. your hotel experience is very important to me.

We receive so many requests for our suites. Our guests love them and I'm glad you did too!

If you ever need further assistance in making reservations at our hotel, please reach out to me personally. It would be my pleasure to make them for you.

Elizabeth A. Parker

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport? Share your experiences!