“new and quiet hotel, service could be better” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Los Angeles, California
“new and quiet hotel, service could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed here one night on a business trip. Conveniently located near the Newport News airport. I've stayed at the Courtyard Yorktown nearby and I find this hotel to be better. This is a new hotel, well designed. One of the problems with the Yorktown Courtyard is the loud fan/AC that made it difficult to sleep. This hotel has very quiet fan/AC equipment, allowing for a good night's sleep. I did not experience the garbage truck problem that the other reviewer mentioned.
The quality of service varies. Some of the staff seemed genuinely helpful. Others were less friendly. The restaurant especially could use more cheerful service (at least when I was there in the morning).
Overall, not a bad choice if you're coming to Newport News for a short visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello TomJam18;

As the new General Manager of the Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News, VA it is my responsibility to respond to each guest comment. Unfortunately, prior General Managers failed in this task to respond to you. Please accept our apologies for not responding to you in a timely manner.

But, I do wish to thank you for taking the time in writing a response about my hotel. From your comments, it seems as if you had a very enjoyable stay. That's important to me. I hope that if you find yourself back in the Newport News area, you will be our guest again.

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Elizabeth Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Marriott is usually reliable, so I had no qualms about booking this as it was our suggested host hotel for a sports event. As a Marriott Rewards member, I was very disappointed in this property. In fact, this is the first review I have posted as travelers should definitely explore other hotel options since there are numerous choices in the area! Certainly, the staff was not responsible for our disappointment. Tina at the front desk, Evelia, our housekeeper, and all of the other staff were friendly and helpful when they could be. It appears to be more the running of the hotel or initial design flaws that seems to be the downfall of this property. #1 - No Saturday sleeping in here....the garbage truck comes at 6:22 AM on Saturday!! Really? A weekend?? (Perhaps if you are fortunate enough to have a room on the front side of the hotel you won't be rudely awoken as we all were.) However, this was our only day to sleep in...haha, joke was on us! #2 - Our room on the 5th floor smelled damp and musty. This could have been an isolated situation, I forgot to ask other team parents if their rooms were the same. #3 - There is not a mirror outside of the bathroom. A full-length mirror is, disfunctionally, located on the back of the bathroom door, but that is it. There is not another mirror in the room if someone wants to brush their hair, put on make up, etc. while a travel companion is showering. #4 - I usually request, as part of my Marriott Rewards profile, extra feather pillows and towels. None were provided. #5 - The hotel information guide clearly states that a roll-away is available at no additional charge on a first-come, first-serve basis. We were told this was only possible in a suite and hence, we could not be accommodated and my daughter would have to sleep on the floor with extra blankets. The information guide should be changed asap, so others aren't misled. #6 - First request for extra blankets was not fulfilled. Second request was not fulfilled, either, but one blanket eventually showed up with extra sheets after a third request was made (Thank you Tina for getting it to us). Overall, this is a nice, new property with plenty of hotel-ish amenities (indoor pool, fitness room, bar, breakfast area, outside sitting area, etc.), it is just a shame it does not tow the corporate line in true guest service and allowing one to enjoy their stay. We will not be back to this property with so many other options in the area!

Room Tip: Definitely the front of the hotel to avoid the Saturday morning trash truck!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback regarding your recent stay. I am truly sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. It is always our goal to provide our guests the very best in accomodations and distinguishable customer service. Although you commended us on our customer service, we did not provide the accomodations that you expected. I have already shared this feedback with the staff, and I have commended the employees that were mentioned, and we are already working to improving the items that you have mentioned. Thanks again for sharing your feedback, as we value your opionion. I hope to see you again soon.

North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Visiting the area for the USATF Regional Championship. Overall the hotel is good but to be told that there are no clean towels and no housekeeper on duty when the hotel is full....it is unacceptable! I should not have to go to Walmart at midnight to get a freaking wash cloth and towel to take a shower. Courtyard, do better!!! When your hotel is busy, please have the foresight to have someone work at night for incidentals!

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback regarding your recent visit. It is our goal to provide our guests a truly exceptional experience and I sincerely apologize that this did not happen for you. I will share this feedback with my staff and use this as a learning experience so that this does not happen again. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will consider visiting us again if your travels bring you to Newport News.
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed here 10-15 June 2012 for a business trip. When asked for my credit card I discovered I forgot to bring my gov't credit card. The front desk clerk asked if it was the one I used to make the reservation and I said yes. She said if I had a photo ID she could still use it. I was so happy I forgot to ask if any upgrades were available (Gold Elite Member). I got to my room and discovered I had been upgraded to a King Suite even before I got there.

It was a very nice suite! The Living Area had a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, coffee maker, table with seating for 2, sofa-bed, 2 sitting chairs, LCD flat screen TV, desk with ergonomic chair, iron and ironing board. The bedroom had 2 chairs and another LCD flat screen TV.

Excellent lobby, well-stocked market, Bistro, Star Bucks coffee, individual booths w/TVs, well equipped business center, large outdoor lounge with plush seating, indoor pool and hot tub, gym has 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, universal weight station and lots of dumb-bells.

Hotel is located a block away from a mall, there are several nice restaurants close by with easy access to the interstate.

I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it for others coming to visit the area!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback regarding your recent stay! I am thrilled to know that we met and exceeded your expectations and will commend my staff for doing an excellent job. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I look forward to your return visit.

Best Regards,
Wakefield, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband, 17 year old daughter and I stayed here for two nights. The place was easy to find, plenty of parking. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Polite staff, clean entryway, dining area was very nice, as was the sitting area outside. We didn't have a chance to use the pool but did take the time to take a look around. The workout room and pool area were clean and inviting. We purchased some fresh fruit items at the 'Bistro' food area, which was a nice bonus. The room was clean, large, plenty of space for the three of us without feeling cramped. We booked a queen suite with the bedroom and sitting room separated. The only reason I did not give a five star rating is because the bathroom fan (if there was one?) did not come on, no separate switch, and with the three of us using the shower, plus the humidity in Virginia that week, we thought there should have been a better venting system. Otherwise, the staff was friendly, polite and the facilities were well kept! We will definitely stay here again when visiting Virginia!

Room Tip: Don't let the fact that this place is located near the airport keep you from staying here, noise...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for providing this very valuable feedback regarding your recent visit! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations with us and our facility met your needs. I will share this feedback with my staff and I will commend them for a job well done! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to your return visit!

Belmont, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

The person on the desk when we arrived was terrible. When you work the desk YOU are the first impression of the hotel. The young woman who checked us in acted like we were bothering her by checking in. Never once did she smile, say hello or have a nice day. These little pleasantries go a long way towards making you feel welcome. I did not care for the Bistro, we waited 35 minutes to get 2 cups of soup, a muffin and a sandwich and the cost was $25.00. Rooms were comfortable but the staff left a lot to be desired.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear 'PMBUSHEY',
Thank you for taking the time to provide this very valuable feedback. It our goal to provide our guests excellent customer service and a memorable stay. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not the level of service that one would expect from a Marriott facility and I assure you this does not represent our true spirit to serve. I will share this feedback with my staff so that we can continue to improve and prevent this from happening in the future. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope that you will consider visitng us again if you are in the area.

Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed 1 night recently as part of a group reservation. Check-in was quick and seamless for all of us. Room was clean, quiet and well appointed. Memory foam style mattress was very comfortable. Large, tile shower with glass door, granite counters, and all the usual amenities. Indoor heated pool and spa (spa under repair during my stay) was clean and about as you'd expect. Fitness facility includes 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, free weights, all modern and in good condition. Lobby/restaurant/bar area is clean and spacious. Location is convenient, across from Patrick Henry Mall with the usual assortment of restaurants and stores often found near malls.

I found nothing to dislike (except the spa being unavailable at the time) and would gladly stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear 'TopofTXtraveler',

Thank you for choosing the Newport News Airport Courtyard for your travel accommodations. I appreciate your business and I am glad that you took this opportunity to provide this very valuable feedback. It is our goal to meet and exceed your expectations and I am thrilled to see that we did. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope that you will visit us again soon!

Best regards,

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport? Share your experiences!