“BYOT=Bring Your Own Towels!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Certificate of Excellence 2014
North Carolina
“BYOT=Bring Your Own Towels!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Visiting the area for the USATF Regional Championship. Overall the hotel is good but to be told that there are no clean towels and no housekeeper on duty when the hotel is full....it is unacceptable! I should not have to go to Walmart at midnight to get a freaking wash cloth and towel to take a shower. Courtyard, do better!!! When your hotel is busy, please have the foresight to have someone work at night for incidentals!

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback regarding your recent visit. It is our goal to provide our guests a truly exceptional experience and I sincerely apologize that this did not happen for you. I will share this feedback with my staff and use this as a learning experience so that this does not happen again. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will consider visiting us again if your travels bring you to Newport News.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed here 10-15 June 2012 for a business trip. When asked for my credit card I discovered I forgot to bring my gov't credit card. The front desk clerk asked if it was the one I used to make the reservation and I said yes. She said if I had a photo ID she could still use it. I was so happy I forgot to ask if any upgrades were available (Gold Elite Member). I got to my room and discovered I had been upgraded to a King Suite even before I got there.

It was a very nice suite! The Living Area had a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, coffee maker, table with seating for 2, sofa-bed, 2 sitting chairs, LCD flat screen TV, desk with ergonomic chair, iron and ironing board. The bedroom had 2 chairs and another LCD flat screen TV.

Excellent lobby, well-stocked market, Bistro, Star Bucks coffee, individual booths w/TVs, well equipped business center, large outdoor lounge with plush seating, indoor pool and hot tub, gym has 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, universal weight station and lots of dumb-bells.

Hotel is located a block away from a mall, there are several nice restaurants close by with easy access to the interstate.

I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it for others coming to visit the area!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback regarding your recent stay! I am thrilled to know that we met and exceeded your expectations and will commend my staff for doing an excellent job. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I look forward to your return visit.

Best Regards,
Union, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband, 17 year old daughter and I stayed here for two nights. The place was easy to find, plenty of parking. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Polite staff, clean entryway, dining area was very nice, as was the sitting area outside. We didn't have a chance to use the pool but did take the time to take a look around. The workout room and pool area were clean and inviting. We purchased some fresh fruit items at the 'Bistro' food area, which was a nice bonus. The room was clean, large, plenty of space for the three of us without feeling cramped. We booked a queen suite with the bedroom and sitting room separated. The only reason I did not give a five star rating is because the bathroom fan (if there was one?) did not come on, no separate switch, and with the three of us using the shower, plus the humidity in Virginia that week, we thought there should have been a better venting system. Otherwise, the staff was friendly, polite and the facilities were well kept! We will definitely stay here again when visiting Virginia!

Room Tip: Don't let the fact that this place is located near the airport keep you from staying here, noise...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for providing this very valuable feedback regarding your recent visit! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations with us and our facility met your needs. I will share this feedback with my staff and I will commend them for a job well done! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to your return visit!

Belmont, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

The person on the desk when we arrived was terrible. When you work the desk YOU are the first impression of the hotel. The young woman who checked us in acted like we were bothering her by checking in. Never once did she smile, say hello or have a nice day. These little pleasantries go a long way towards making you feel welcome. I did not care for the Bistro, we waited 35 minutes to get 2 cups of soup, a muffin and a sandwich and the cost was $25.00. Rooms were comfortable but the staff left a lot to be desired.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear 'PMBUSHEY',
Thank you for taking the time to provide this very valuable feedback. It our goal to provide our guests excellent customer service and a memorable stay. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not the level of service that one would expect from a Marriott facility and I assure you this does not represent our true spirit to serve. I will share this feedback with my staff so that we can continue to improve and prevent this from happening in the future. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope that you will consider visitng us again if you are in the area.

Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed 1 night recently as part of a group reservation. Check-in was quick and seamless for all of us. Room was clean, quiet and well appointed. Memory foam style mattress was very comfortable. Large, tile shower with glass door, granite counters, and all the usual amenities. Indoor heated pool and spa (spa under repair during my stay) was clean and about as you'd expect. Fitness facility includes 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, free weights, all modern and in good condition. Lobby/restaurant/bar area is clean and spacious. Location is convenient, across from Patrick Henry Mall with the usual assortment of restaurants and stores often found near malls.

I found nothing to dislike (except the spa being unavailable at the time) and would gladly stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear 'TopofTXtraveler',

Thank you for choosing the Newport News Airport Courtyard for your travel accommodations. I appreciate your business and I am glad that you took this opportunity to provide this very valuable feedback. It is our goal to meet and exceed your expectations and I am thrilled to see that we did. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope that you will visit us again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

...I probably would have rated it higher. This is a fairly new property with the "new" Courtyard lobby and decor. When I first got to my room, it had a musty smell ("hadn't been used in a while", I thought) and I figured the A/C would take care of it. It didn't.

The room decor was sleek and modern but the only closet was a tiny armoire built in to the work desk/TV assembly. The armoire was too small to hang anything more than a couple of days clothes for one person. The flat screen TV had 60-ish channels available (essentially full basic cable) but none of them were in Hi-Def. Ironically, the little TVs built in to the treadmills in the exercise room _did_ get Hi-Def channels. There was complimentary wired and wireless Internet and the wired speed was pretty good even during peak evenings.

The hotel has the new Courtyard "Bistro" restaurant, which I used for breakfast and found it OK. I still prefer the old Courtyard breakfast buffet, however. The Bistro has a bar and light meal service in the evenings but there is one twist at this property - you cannot order from the bar and take it back to your room like you can at almost every other hotel out there. They claim this is due to local laws and there are signs at the elevator ("No Alcoholic Beverages Past This Point") to remind guests. Luckily the area is very near Jefferson Ave. where many restaurant chains are available and there are a couple of restaurants about a block away.

If I had to return to the area, I'm not sure this would be my first choice. In any event, I would check out the room for odors first.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent hotel stay at the Newport News Airport Courtyard. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. It is always our ultimate goal to ensure our guests have an exceptional stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies and rest assured I will use this instance as a learning experience so that we can continue to improve. I appreciate your business and your feedback and hope that you visit us again soon.

Best Regards,
New york, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I had reservations for two nights in April. Only twenty minutes to Busch Gardens and location was near restaurants and stores. The hotel is modern and very clean...I loved it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your experience at the Newport News Airport Courtyard by Marriott! I am happy to hear that your stay was everything that you expected. Our team here is fully committed to taking great care of our guests and it is very rewarding to share this feedback with them. On behalf of the Newport News Airport Courtyard, we look forward to your return visit.

Best regards,

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport? Share your experiences!