“an oasis of calm” 5 of 5 stars

17-21 rue Baron de Chantal, 17410 Saint Martin de Re, Ile de Re, France   |
Southampton
“an oasis of calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in this wonderful hotel that is an oasis of calm just a hundred yards from the busy bustling port of Sainte-Martin-de-Re. nothing is too much trouble for the staff, either through the booking process or during our stay. Marina and her colleagues were all very welcoming and helpful, especially with recommendations for restaurants. The continental breakfast offered a good selection, plus proper freshly squeezed orange juice and Nespresso coffee. Our room was a pavilion in the garden with a comfy 6ft bed. It was very quiet and tranquil, with easy access to the garden and the car park. The Wi-Fi was erratic, but this was probably due to the location of our room in the garden.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Second visit to this wonderful hotel in the centre of St Martin de Re. A two minute walk from the harbour, car parking, beautiful gardens, and the rooms are just gorgeous. Good breakfast buffet and super helpful staff make your stay here perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

First, I must say that I travel often for work and for life. At this stage, I must admit that I am not the easiest to please. Even the littlest of details or disorganization can catch my eye. So it gives me great pleasure to share my WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE at La Baronnie, it was PERFECT, so much so - I extended my trip. The venue, the staff, the grounds, the decor - all royal. Do yourself and your loved one a favor and book your trip as I did and I would personally recommend the Sevigne Suite. best KAH

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed there 3 nights in early October. Our room (cannot remember the name of it) was on the first floor in the main building through which you enter the property, and overlooked the backyard, hence was extremely quiet. Very stylish furbishing. Outstanding breakfast for French standards. Personnel was attentive but never intrusive. We'll be back! The island is a gem! And we were blessed by an outstanding weather early October.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We are return visitors to La Baronnie . It is truly an oasis within an already special locale. The rooms are gorgeous; tastefully decorated. Incredibly, without losing its old world charm, the bathrooms are very modern and spacious. The hotel is always impeccably clean and the service is beyond compare. The morning breakfast is a feast with plenty of variety to get you on your way for the day on Re. The gardens are enchanting. Another great benefit is being able to park within the walls of the facility.
The staff are exceptional - kind, helpful and very professional. We also loved Ola, the La Baronnie mascot, she is quite a charmer herself. Also, upon recommendation of the staff, we tried a new, great place to dine - Le Tout de Cru. It is located right around the corner and is a must-stop for any true seafood lover. They had specialty (world renowned) oysters and a perfect wine list to match (if you go, try the wine from St. Emillion - we loved it!)

Room Tip: Each room has its individual charm. Check with the staff before booking and they will guide you to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Europe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

On 30th August I reserved a room on the internet at this establishment for the13th September and, like the fool I am, did not check the confirmation. On the 12th September I was printing out the confirmation and realised that, silly old fool that I am, I had actually made a mistake and reserved a room for the date on which I had made the booking, 30th August.

I contacted the hotel and explained my mistake and asked if they would be prepared to credit the amount they had deducted from my credit card against a future stay and they said that they would not as their cancellation policy was strictly followed!

I did not request my money back merely a credit against a stay the following month and, as they stated in their correspondence they can let every room in August, I have little doubt that they re-let the room when we failed to arrive!

Poor service to my mind although I readily admit that it was my fault in making the error......watch yourselves with this hotel!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Baronnie, Gérant at La Baronnie Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam, We are terribly sorry to read this comment since you have not stayed with us. As you mentionned, you made a mistake in your reservation's date and I totally understand that you have been surprised of being charged; but we cannot be responsible of your mistake (especially in August) and our general sales conditions are well explained on line. It is really sad you judge the hotel without having stayed in our spaciaous rooms, or enjoying the gardens or the spa... We hope to have the opportunity to make you change your mind welcoming you here; it would be a real pleasure for us!
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for just one night on a stopover en route to Paris and had such a lovely time, we left wishing we could stay for a whole week!

We received a very warm welcome from the owner and her lovely little doggie Ola who both showed us around the gorgeous gardens, the hotel and to our room. We stayed in the tower room which was just fantastic - a split level room with a bathroom and storage on the lower floor and a spiral staircase to the bedroom on the top floor. The loveliest thing about the tower room is that there are windows on three of the four walls which can be opened to provide a delightful breeze on a warm day and offer stunning views of the town all around.

The bedroom had a really comfy bed (despite being two singles pushed together - we didn't even really notice this) with lots of fluffy pillows, a mosquito net and a good tv.

The only downside would be for anyone who likes a lie-in - the bells from the church nearby ring for a few minutes at 7.30am so either bring earplugs or be wiling to start your day nice and early.

My husband and I were perfectly happy to wake up early and enjoyed the buffet breakfast immensely - lots of delicious freshly baked goods, cheeses, jams, cereals, tea, coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Overall a really charming place - perfect old school French charm rather than showy 5 star. It's clean, pretty, full of character with very hospitable hosts and is a stones throw from the port of Martin de Re.

Highly recommended, would most definitely visit again!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to La Baronnie Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!