“Cold comfort in log cabins” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Restaurant Le Vieux Logis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jonzac
Hotel Restaurant Le Vieux Logis
You added Hotel Restaurant Le Vieux Logis to your Saves list
1 & 3 rue du 8 mai 1945 | Clam, 17500 Jonzac, France   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Jonzac
Antibes, France
“Cold comfort in log cabins”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Looking at the charming photograph and reading others reviews we made a booking for one night at the end of September 2012. The afternoon on which we arrived was cold, blustery and inclined to rain. On entering the building featured in the photograph we checked in and were immediately told "dehors" - which means "outside" without any pleasantries!! Our room was a short walk across the car park to a set of wooden log cabins. It reminded me of camping days. We tried to put on some heat in the room and in the bathroom without success. Having waited a considerable time to give the heat a chance to get going we eventually returned to reception and a staff member accompanied us to the log cabins and pulled a master switch to allow heat to reach the rooms. We stayed for dinner and to treat ourselves chose their most expensive menu - based on reviews that praised the food highly. Having to order a dessert at the beginning of a meal is always irritating, but we complied. The meal was 'okay' - the main course was too much with little finesse. The dessert did not arrive as the kitchen had forgotten about it which resulted in a 30 minute wait for it to be produced - I suspect defrosted!! So all in all we had one of the worst nights on our travels (no armchair in room as depicted), uncomfortable pillows and it was a relief to spend the following night in a wonderful hotel in La Baule!!

Room Tip: If there are any rooms available in the main house - which is where the Vieux Logis began they may b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

September 2012 and I decided to make a return visit to this Logis, the reason was that I had always enjoyed the dining experience here so much it would be a shame not to make a return and be missing something.

I was delighted that things have taken a turn very much for the better, right from a warm greeting through to the end of a fine evening. Thank you very much for restoring my favourite local restaurant.

I should mention that during my recent visit there was a most unfortunate mishap when a waiter spilled a glass of Pineau over on his tray and the contents landed on my place setting missing me but giving one of my dining companions a healthy spray !!! ALL DEALT WITH SUPERBLY.

I will return soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We went to Jonzac in order to look for a house in the neighboorhood and the Vieux Logis was a perfect central point to look around. Very friendly owners, rooms are with own private terrace and access to the garden and pool. They will give you a lot of valuable tips about thinks to do in the Cognac area.

Room Tip: No real choice, the 10 rooms are next each other in a new building and have the same amenities
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I have been visiting this hotel and restaurant for 12 years.I own a house nearby.

The rooms are bright, well looked after and more than comfortable, I rate them very highly.

The Logis is very well kept and in a great position for tourists and local business use alike.

The restaurant was always superb, with several themed evenings through the year, however I believe the ownership has changed early in 2010, and I am afraid to say that standards in the Resturant have in my opinion slipped.

We ALWAYS looked forward to our frequent visits but now after just two, we have not returned. This is a shame but I am sure the new owners have there own idea's of the business and how it should be run.

If the owners read this I hope they take it constructively as it is meant.

For anyone else reading this and thinking of staying or visiting the Resturant I wont say anything bad at all, but It isnt what it was, and thats a shame.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Empoli - Toscana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Excellent place as a base to visit the Cognac area.
The owner and the staff are very friendly and the restaurant is excellent .
The rooms, in a building separate from the restaurant, are very large, brand new, all of them at ground level, with a small terrace facing a lawn and close to the swimming pool.
Definitely to be recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

This logis de france is located in a quiet area of Charente at Clam near Jonzac. It seems to be in the middle of nowhere so is very restful.. Good for visits to Cognac and trips to Saintes or la Rochelle. Car essential !! Ample parking
Rooms are separate from restaurant ~ only a few yards away ~ and are all ground-floor with a terrace/ outdoor table/chairs. Very spacious inside with cane seating/coffee table and huge bed. Flat screen TV. Free wi-fi. Modern bathroom
Excellent value 15 euro evening menu with plenty of choice. Other menus and a la carte too. Rather expensive wines... no pichets. Good breakfast. Friendly, welcoming proprietor and staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Restaurant Le Vieux Logis? Share your experiences!