“Enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Fecamp
Cornwall, UK
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a short but enjoyable stay in this hotel on our way back to Calais. The staff were very helpful and the hotel had a nice ambience about it with a nautical theme. Room was 4 star standard and the quality of bedding and towels were really good. We had a slightly comical door into the bathroom (very very wide, sail like and supported by a 'stay') but functionally it worked fine and the seperate toilet was also a bonus. Parking was extra 11 EU a night (though you can park for free in the harbour car parks across the road). Breakfast was 14.50 Eu which seemed a bit expensive. We liked it though, it is very central and we both slept well. I would certainly consider using the hotel again if we visit the area.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are nicer but more expensive, but face NNE (so not a lot of sunshine).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Coming down to breakfast on our last stay, we absently sat down at a table which wasn’t set out for breakfast. Anywhere else we would have been politely asked to move. We had left our bags and gone straight to the buffet. On turning round we saw that the Receptionist, who was also looking after drinks for breakfast, was quietly and discreetly moving our place settings to the table we had settled on without thinking. It was a very nice gesture for which we were grateful. Of course we apologized but we weren’t made to feel the least bit awkward. On the contrary...

Le Grand Pavois is an excellent hotel. Comfortable and friendly. That makes such a difference.

Room Tip: It's worth reserving a room with a view over the marina.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed two nights on our way through the region with our two kids, ages 4 years and 14 months. A nice enough 3 star hotel. Clean, modern and decent sized room with a typical breakfast. There is a bar in the lobby and they were accommodating, throughout the stay in heating up the baby's bottle. Everything was generally fine until checkout time. At checkout, in addition to the charge for the child bed for our older son I noticed another charge for an extra child. I was surprised, as the baby has his own small travel bed. I asked the clerk about the charge.

While there may have been a very good reason for the extra charge of 58 euros, which I would have paid, I never got to find out why. Upon finishing my question, the manager came bolting out from behind a partition in jeans and a t-shirt and started yelling at me, attacking me for not booking a larger room and a whole bunch of other things completely unrelated to the issue (I should mention that I speak fluent French, so it wasn't about the language). I was completely shocked. As the receptionist slinked away and stared at the ground, I tried to explain that I simply wanted to understand the charge. I was again yelled at. We were never informed at check-in that we should take another type of room nor of any hotel policy in this regard. We travel extensively with the children and have never encountered this before.

As I walked away from the reception to take care of my children, the manager continued to yell at my wife. Trying to close the issue, I came back to pay and stated that it was not the charge that was an issue, but the fact that what had been a pleasant enough stay had turned into a nightmare customer service experience. The manager told me "it's my house and I will behave as I please." At that moment, I paid the extra 58 euros and left.

Again, I should stress, my problem is not with the charge or a hotel policy if there was one. It is about the shocking way in which we were verbally attacked and abused by the manager of the hotel. I will never be back and would hope that this review prevents others from choosing the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was the first hotel we stayed at during our recent two week trip to France and it was absolutely great. The photos do not do it justice and we felt it was much better than the three stars it has been awarded. Although it is not much to look at from the front, and indeed the entrance hallway is a little underwhelming, the rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable and we had a huge room with a large bathroom with a wide louvre door and separate toilet. Fabulous expensive toiletries in the bathroom too, which was a nice touch. Having walked around the town, we felt this was the best hotel in Fecamp and we were glad we stayed here. Parking is around 11 Euros but we were lucky to find parking for free right outside, so look there first. Only grumble is that we didn't have a harbour view room which would have made it perfect - and there was no shower curtain / door, so it got a little wet on the floor.

Still though, we would thoroughly recommend this gem of a hotel - it's right in the middle of town so great for exploring. A must see is the Palais Benedictine, which is 5 minutes' walk from the hotel and a fascinating place, without a doubt one of the highlights of our entire stay in France.

Room Tip: Harbour view, definitely!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you’re travelling along the Normandy coast, the Grand Pavois hotel at Fécamp is the perfect stopping place. It has wonderful views over the marina with its neat rows of small boats, and at night, its twinkling lights. And best of all, it is a “Silent Hotel”. We’ve stayed there a few times during the last couple of years and have found it quiet and comfortable.

The fact that it doesn’t have a restaurant means that you can go out to try any of the numerous cafés, brasseries and restaurants next door along the quayside. With an emphasis on wonderful fresh fish, there’s somewhere to suit all appetites and budgets.

Before you go out, or when you come back, you can relax in the bar with one of the Grand Pavois cocktails. We once had a Kir Royal where the barman chilled the glasses and dipped the rim very lightly in sugar. Magnifique! In the morning you can have a really good buffet breakfast in the same space, which overlooks the marina.

The staff are all very welcoming, helpful and professional so that it’s a pleasure to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights at this hotel and we were more than pleased with the room, it was in fact really, really good. Far and beyond what we expected and with the real feel of luxury both in the bed quality, linen, bathroom, view and the staff's hospitality. There is no restaurant in the hotel but plenty of eating places nearby. It does have an excellent bar and coffee lounge though. Only wish more 3 star rated hotels were like this. A fine find indeed!

Room Tip: When booking a front room is essential for the balcony view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Seriously, get a marina facing room. We didn't and spent the time regretting it. Nice design elements and very clean and comfortable. Minus points though for the lack of a proper shower area door that closed (it's a huge louvred door that kept swinging open), no shower curtain in the bath so water splashed everywhere (I guess a plus was a very high pressure shower. Very!) and the pathetic view at the back of the car park which I suppose was our own fault. The private parking is underground and worthwhile at about eur 12. But if we hadn't been a bit paranoid, the hotels own parking at the back (which the room overlooked) looks perfectly safe. Nearby Le Progres restaurant for casual seafood feast, and also an excellent boulangerie just a few minutes away. Also recommend the Benedictine Palace, 5 minutes walk away. The Carrefour express is really near but the larger one is an easy 15minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Grand Pavois Hotel? Share your experiences!