“Excellent Quality and Service” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel de la Marine to your Saves list
Hotel de la Marine
1, quai du Canada, 14117 Arromanches-les-Bains, France   |
Fort Worth, Texas
“Excellent Quality and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

At the recommendation of my sister, I stayed at this hotel for one night during my tour of Normandy. The staff was professional, personable and went out of their way to help me. The restaurant food was great with wonderful presentation and service. I had a sea-side room which was impeccably clean and well decorated. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing to visit the region of Normandy. It was also close to the American Cemetery and Museaum of Omaha Beach ~ a highlight for any tourist! I did not access the swimming pool or fitness center which would have been a plus!

Room Tip: I prefered the room on the 2nd floor by the sea ~ beautiful view and high enough to avoid any noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My family of seven stayed at the Hotel de la Marine, we were given the two rooms in the top floor. Which was very cozy and nice. The only challenge is bringing up luggage up the narrow stairs. The location is great, just down the street from the main area of Arromanche and the water. The owners were very nice and accommodating, and we really enjoyed our stay. It is certainly no Marriott, but it is like a bed and breakfast with great local flavor.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel was booked at the end of a two week journey through Northern Spain and Western France by my partner and myself. My partner wanted to visit some of the WW2 sites and so Arrowmanches les Bains seemed like a good choice. Hotel de la Marine seemed to be ok, not great, but ok...how I wished I had taken more notice of the poor reviews on trip advisor...there was a warm enough reception as we walked into the place but it all went rapidly downhill after that! Once we stepped out of the lift onto the second floor we were greeted by a smell of damp and decay, dirty carpets dingy and stained, lighting poor and horrible decor. Our room was small and horrible, it smelled disgusting, mostly I suspect from the macerator toilet! Which on flushing sounds like something from a Monty Python sketch and might have been funny if I had not felt so miserable. We opened our windows wide to let in some fresh air while we went to have a drink in the bar. The day was sunny and hot and cheered us up somewhat - until we were told that a pint of beer and a glass of lemonade was going to cost us 10.90 euros (we thought we had misheard the waiter but no, that was the price)
The bed in our room was small, lumpy and uncomfortable with no headboard so it was virtually impossible to sit up in bed as the pillows slipped down the gap. The bed was behind the bathroom so it felt claustrophobic and had no view. The wifi did not work, my partner went down to the reception to find out why and after trying herself the woman on the reception desk just said she did not know why it was not working. We stayed in ten hotels and B & B's on our holiday - 9 were wonderful but this sorry excuse for a hotel is just awful. The only upside is it's beach front location, and for this they think they can charge a lot while ignoring the fact that it is horrible inside. We did not have dinner there nor did we stay for breakfast! If the area had not been so busy due to the D day influx I would have gladly paid my money then walked out the door to find other accommodation.

Room Tip: Just don't go!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Everything in Arromanches is about twice as expensive as elsewhere in France. Everyone seems to be 'milking' the the D day experience for every last dollar. This hotel is no exception , over 10 euros for a large beer and a lemonade and a room that wouldn't cost £40 over here is £90 there. Stayed in 8 different hotels on a trip from Spain and France and this was by far the worst. Mean little room, gloomy lighting, paper thin walls and poor noisy plumbing. Two redeeming factors, the receptionists are multi-lingual and we could see the sea!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Writing this not only for myself but also for the Veterans of the Cornwall Branch of the Landing Craft Association. I would like to thank the owners and all the staff for their excellent hospitality for our group, during the D-Day 70th anniversary commemoration. Even though the hotel was at capacity and rushed off their feet for the single biggest event in 10 years, they were still able to go the extra mile with the service provided and a true respect given to all our veterans
We stay at this hotel every year for the D-Day anniversary and find it an ideal central location to view all the WW2 sites in Normandy.
Once again, i would like to say thank you, and hope to see you again next year.

Room Tip: Opt for a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I were fortunate enough to stay in this lovely hotel for 2 nights in the middle of May without prior reservations. The friendly young woman at the reception desk was able to offer us accommodations, although in a different room each night. This wasn't a problem because the rooms were right next to each other and the hotel staff transferred our luggage from one room to the other while we were out sightseeing.

Arromanches des bain is a small town on what WWII history buffs know as Gold beach. The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to various shops, cafes and the local museum.

The hotel is cozy and has a restaurant facing the beach where we enjoyed a lovely breakfast buffet everyday. What a great way to wake up with a cup of coffee or tea.We also opted to have dinner there in the evening. My seafood entrees were expertly prepared and delicious. My husband had chicken prepared with a creamy mushroom sauce and silky mashed potatoes that were memorable.

Both my husband and I enjoyed a pre-dinner cocktail called a Kir Normande which is local cider (cidre) with a splash of creme de cassis, as well as a postprandial Calvados, also locally made.

The rooms were simply decorated, well-maintained and had a spectacular view of the beach--we could open the windows up to let the ocean breezes into the room. There is an elevator, as well as a stairway to get to the upper floors.

All of the front desk staff was warm, friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English. Before we left for Paris, the young woman at the desk advised us that driving a car in Paris can be a nervewracking experience and perhaps we should use another method of transportation for our visit. Thankfully, we took her advice and dropped the car off before heading into Paris by taxi.Her advice spared us from spending hours in frenetic, rush hour traffic.

Watching the sun set on Arromanches beach was beyond beautiful and will stay with me the rest of my life. Seeing the WWII artifacts remaining on the beach was a poignant reminder of the sacrifices those before us made to secure the freedom we often take for granted.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Superb location, second to none, adjacent to the DDay landing beach. Parking limited, but there is a free car park nearby. Staff friendly and helpful. But the bedroom was tiny, and storage space very limited. We couldn't unpack as there was nowhere to put anything and we were tripping over our bags all the time. We asked to be moved to a bigger room which meant a hefty price increase. The larger room was lovely, superb views, we opened the window and could hear the waves on the beach. Conveniently situated for the museum and I recommend a visit to the 360* cinema. We did enjoy our stay. The sense of history is very strong and it's an emotional experience remembering the events of 70 years ago.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel de la Marine? Share your experiences!