“Great stop off I 81” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
Fair Haven, New Jersey
“Great stop off I 81”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

When we are traveling on I 81 we always try to stop here. We love southern traditional and regional cooking. The salty country Virginia ham with stwed tomatoes or applesauce is a treat. The fried chicken is fantastic. There are always plenty of friendly locals to chat with. This restaurant has been open since the fifties, give them your business!

harrisonburg, va
“Old Timey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This stop provides good ole' timey menu and fixins'! Simple, nothing fancy here....great place to stop by for lunch.

Visited June 2012
Louisa, Virginia
“Great Homestyle Southern Cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my second time at the Southern Kitchen and I was not disappointed. I had the fried chicken liver dinner and it was outstanding. The coconut pie was exceptional and the service was great. I really enjoyed this old style diner and the jukebox music playing in the background. I have had the fried chicken here before as well and it was exceptional.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, slightly creepy manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The food was actually quite delicious. I had a ham salad sandwich, and others in my party had the pork barbeque and cheeseburger. The atmosphere was that of a really quaint greasy spoon. So why the two star rating? The obnoxious manager wouldn't leave us alone! He starts off by asking us if we, "were going to use our sissy sticks," gesturing at the straws on the table. Before we could even answer, he swept them up and proceeded to give them to somebody else! I know they were still wrapped, but ew! He then hung around our table for over 10 minutes, asking where we lived and telling me that I, "needed to find me a nice young man." He pointed at a few, and I tried to brush him off saying that they were a little too young for me. Undeterred, he told me I could find one an older around 30 that had waited a while to start school. In summary, although the food was really great, this unpleasant experience means I won't be back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Woodstown, New Jersey
“Don't miss this gem a few blocks off I-81”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was our 2nd visit for lunch while traveling in Virginia. If you like country ham (the salty kind), this is a must. Another item to try if you've never had it before is the peanut soup. Good chicken salad. Mile high meringue pies. Service was slow considering the place was not packed, but this is the south. Nevertheless, if you want classic southern county cooking, this is a must stop.

• Visited August 2012