“keep going.......” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Market
waterbury, ct
“keep going.......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

Traveling home tired and hungry from our journey we decided to stay here because it was quick access to and from the interstate. Unfortunately we wished we had kept going. While checking in we heard another guest complaining that her phone didnt work and the bathroom light was not working - we should have taken the hint to get back in the car and look for another hotel. We required two rooms, one for my husband and I and one for my 83 year old grandfather. The only rooms available were on the second floor with no elevator. Very dim staircase to our rooms with the railing on top wobbling. Upon entering we noticed how dark and dingy the rooms were. As mentioned earlier our bathroom light was out as well. The tub was black, the towel bar was hanging off the wall and the sheets were thin with filthy blankets. It was hot when we arrived so we turned the air on which was covered in thick dust. The curtains were hanging off the hooks as well. We also found unmentionables left from the previous guests. Needless to say, we slept fully clothed and with bathroom light on - which eventually came on after about 10 minutes of warming up. Not a restfull night - too worried about what might be crawling when I closed my eyes. I showered in the morning with a towel on the bottom of the shower. They did offer breakfast, but after what I had seen in the rooms - who could eat there? The nicest part of the hotel is the view of the mountains. Take our advice and head down the interstate to the next hotel!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

Clearly not the best motel I have ever stayed (but not the worst either). I stayed in July 2006, and our room was reasonably clean (not perfect), the amenities were adequate, in other words a very ordinary and average experience I suppose. The breakfast is very bare-bones -- donuts and bagels -- less than I have seen at other Days Inns. Although I did not have problems except for the manager being reluctant to apply my approved discount, others I observed did, and I noted at least two families that were very unhappy, though I cannot say why.

There are other motels in New Market, and a couple good B&Bs. The Days Inn will prove satisfactory if you had the experience I did, but other reviews point to frequent problems.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
williamsburg, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

The good: Clean and good-sized outdoor pool
Low price

The bad: Breakfast selection was very limited and only went until nine
Manager refused to give us a discount that we were entitled to
Outdoor lights went on much too late, which made it dangerous to go up and down the stairs
Both of the ice machines didn't work
Skimpy flat pillows

Pageland, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

This was a nice motel, we had a room above the pool on the 2nd floor. There were plenty of rooms you could back up to your door, we just had the pool at ours, so we were some distance from our car. The pool was nice, just closed a little early (9pm). The next morning my wife went with the kids to get the breakfast, I asked her if she would just bring me back something to the room and the attendent told her you can't, you have to eat here. The motel is up on a hill overlooking New Market with a beautiful view of the mountains. The room was clean, maid service was good, no complaints, (only the breakfast).

• Liked — Mountain View
  • Disliked — You can't take the free breakfast back to your room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greenville, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2004

Nice views of the Shenandoah Valley & New Market from the parking lot and the rooms & breakfast are average of what you would expect from a hotel off the interstate. I only had to stay here 1 night since I was driving back home on I-81 & didn't have any quips about the place.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2004

This was by far the worst lodging experience of my life. The receptionist was an extremely arrogant man with absolutely no manners or courtesy. The room was horrendous ? the sheets had blood stains, the toilet seat was soiled, and the floors were smeared. After repeated requests, we were moved into another room which was in no better condition. We could not sleep all night and feared catching an infection. If only we had checked in at a reasonable time (and not past midnite), I would have walked out in a moment. I cannot ever recommend this place, even if the stay were free.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2003

We had to cancel our reserverations due to a family emergency and even though we had stayed here three other times, the hotel insisted we pay for the rooms for the nights we were not there. I called all week long to ensure that they were able to rent the rooms out but was told no. The day before our arrival I checked on line to see if our room was still available and our room was not listed as available. Friends and family called the hotel directly to inquire if they could get a room for the night on the night we were scheduled to stay and they were told the hotel was completely booked. I called the hotel and they were rude to me and told me I would have to call back two days later to speak with the manager. The man I talked to told me he could not help me. I called back two days later and was told the manager was not there. I asked this man what his position was and he said he was the assistant manager. I then asked if this was the case then why couldn't he have helped me before instead of telling me to wait and call the manger. He would not release the charge to me and I feel that since he lied to me about the manager and about not being able to help me, he also lied about being able to rent the room out for the time we were to have stayed there. I have tried repeatedly to get help from the customer service department at days inn and they refuse to help saying that since the hotel was privately owned I would have to take it up with the hotel. Privately owned or not the sign still says Days Inn and I will never step foot in another one and urge anyone who values being treated decently to do the same.

Been to Days Inn Battlefield? Share your experiences!