“Wifi is a hit and miss, but room was ok” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in New Market
South Jersey
“Wifi is a hit and miss, but room was ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a 2 story hotel with at least 200 rooms I think. I can't say much for some of the rooms, but for where I stayed at, Rm. 251. It was decent. room was next to the stairs, ice and vending machines. It wasn't so bad, as there wasn't too much traffic going on anyway, Nice thing about this room though, I can open the curtains without concern of people looking in.

Hallway, with dated dark carpeting, cigarette smoke smell and limited lightings used, it has the feeling of a very cheap rundown hotel.

My room was, decent, meaning, though carpet is old and dark, we had a pretty clean room, no smell, no roaches or bugs, bathroom was nice actually except that the exhaust fan wasn't working, sure there are some wallpapers that seems to be peeling but it is not a big issue.

The bed was not bad, my mom who is 74 and with back problem slept pretty well, and so did I, the beds are not super comfortable. but at least there was no springs poking our backs, the only complaint about these beds will be perhaps the sides (edges) of bed are a bit worn down, so we slept at the middle of the bed or at least to the most comfortable part of the bed. The beds are clean, no bugs, got 3 pillows for each frame.

The usual microwave oven, ref, box tv which were all working fine. we got 2 chairs and a table too.

Perhaps the biggest opps the hotel missed is the wifi. From my room, It is a miss and hit on getting connected, since I don't; really check emails or see important files on line, I mainly used it to see what are places nearby and of course mapquest, it is not a big thing for me, but perhaps those others who can't live without being connected, better think twice.

No free breakfast, I guess the reason being,is that there is already a restaurant attached to this building and Quality Inn itself don't have its own dining area. We didn't eat there, Mom is content just having 2 slices of bread and a jam. Coffee on the house but we didn't even touch it, having been to several places/hotel offering free coffee, all of them has been bad.

Front desk was hospitable. Lobby is dated like the hallway, but without the smoke smell. I didn't use the pool

Overall, I think it was a pleasant stay for me and mom. We don't really complaint much but of course some standards need to be met. A room with no smell, no bugs, clean sheets, clean bathroom, decent air conditioning are some of the things we all wanted. It maybe dated, but then again, if the business is not making enough profits, having to have the place renovated is no small task that is why, I rated this place towards very good instead of just good.

A suggestion to the management, hoping you are reading this.
More lights into the hallway, and please don't use those white ones, its makes the hallway look dark and dull.
Redesign your ventilation system in the hallways.
Better coffee gets you a long way.

Room Tip: Always bring or buy cheap slippers into any hotels. If you are a coffee drinker, please don't co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Came for the Rt 11 Yard Crawl. If you don't know what that is google it. If you've never been, you gotta go just once.
It was important for us to stay in New Market rather than one of the nearby towns. I chose the Quality Inn based on reviews. It seemed the best of what was offered in the area.
This place is old and tired and badly in need of an update. The desk clerk at checkin was friendly, professional and helpful. She recommended a good restaurant (Dan's Steakhouse) nearby. The room was large, clean and the bed was comfortable. There were no bugs as reported by another reviewer. The A/C worked well. Lighting was very good. Walls need painting or wallpapering, the carpet should be replaced and they could put most of the furniture out for the yard sale.
I have never seen a room with two doors, one leading to the parking lot and one on the opposite wall going out into the hallway of the motel. Security must be important because each door had three locks in addition to the one operated by the key card.
There is a microwave and a 'fridge with freezer. The TV is the older box type but it worked well.
Walls are thin you plainly hear people walking by outside and the water running in adjacent rooms. My bath towel was so badly frayed that I wouldn't have used it to dry my car. There is no complimentary breakfast but there is an attached restaurant that we didn't use. Although they were setup for complimentary coffee in the motel lobby there was none available the next morning.
Because we arrived on my wife's birthday I had requested fresh flowers be placed in the room when I made the reservation thru the national 800 number reservation desk. They weren't. Guess that was too much to ask. Shouldn't have expected Hilton service from a Quality Inn. Maybe my expectations were too high inasmuch as my uncle was one of the people who started the Quality Inn chain.

• Stayed August 2013
Hudsonville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The room was old and not clean.it was late so we figured it would be okay for one night. Just as we were getting ready to retire, we saw the first cockroach and then we quickly discovered they were all over the room. Night clerk tried to offer a room two doors down to resolve... Umm, no. We left without any compensation or resolution because the inexperienced night clerk had no idea how to handle the situation. How about call a manager, I will tomorrow morning.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Woodstock, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed at the Quality Inn, with my family for two nights when they came to visit from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. For what we wanted it was perfect, nice clean room, a clean swimming pool and coffee in the lobby. Our room was next to the pool and by the highway . It was nice and quite, could not hear any noise from the highway. The only complaint I had was, we were a in room the had a 4 person occupancy and we only had three bath towels. There also was not enough pillows on the bed. Other then that we had a nice pleasant visit.

Room Tip: Hotel does not have a free breakfast, but you do get 20% off in the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Galloway, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed in a pet friendly room with our dog. The carpet was so dirty I would not allow my children to walk on it without shoes on. There is not a complimentary breakfast. The morning we were there the breakfast at Johnny Appleseeds (inside the hotel) was a buffet. It would have been $8.99 for my adult breakfast and $4.99 each for my three children. Needless to say we headed across the street to McDonald's for hot cakes for all of us for $15.00 total. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, West Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here on the spur of a moment while traveling Skyline Drive. It is an older motel, showing some disrepair, but clean and comfortable. It was 85 degrees and we enjoyed the pool, which was clean and welcoming. Within walking distance of several restaurants, plus has a restaurant on site which we did not use. Good place to stay for the money. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rcihmond, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel itself was very old. Its been sometime since I went from my car directly into my room. The interior of the room was very dated and the room itself was very noisy.

We didn't go for the hotel it just happen to be the best that was near the golf course and Luray Caverns.

We played at the Caverns Golf Club the for the money you can't beat the course or the views. Luray Caverns is one of the great wonders of the world as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley? Share your experiences!