“Best Stopover in New Market” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in New Market
Cape Cod
“Best Stopover in New Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

After a bad experience last year at New Market, we tried the Quality Inn. Everything was excellent. The room, exactly as we had requested it was waiting for us. Dinner at their Johnny Appleseed restaurant was very good and fairly priced. The staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. This will be our New Market stopover in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
qinm, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to serving you during your future stays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I have been staying here off and on for many years. When we come to the Shenandoah Valley we either stay at the Blue Ridge Inn in New Market (see my review) or this Quality Inn. We are tending to stay at the Quality Inn more now. Our recent stay for two nights in late November 2012 was delightful. We found our room very clean and there is a microwave and a refrigerator which is nice to have. Our room was in the back of the hotel but we did not hear any highway noise inside our room. The only complaints I have about the room is that the TV reception could have been better and they do not have flat screen HD TVs as some hotels do now. Some stations looked a little snowy and the TV is just plain old. Time for a new set! Also, they have these smaller size pillows that I found too fluffy and not comfortable to sleep on. In fact, they were so terrible, we went to Dollar General up the street and I bought two nice pillows (which I love and use at home now) and sleep well the next night. The bathroom was very clean and plenty of toiletries. The shower worked well. There is a hair dryer and ironing board in the room. One problem would be that if you stay on the second floor there is no elevator but we had a room on the first floor which was fine. You can enter your room through the outside and park right outside or enter through a hallway which is nice. There is a cute gift shop on the premises and a dining room that offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their specialty is apple fritters and they are terrific! You get some with every meal. Order extras and take some home! We always do! My husband and I ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel and found the food to be plentiful and good tasting. They have a lot of apple dishes. I did find my apple dumpling with dinner a little disappointing (kind of soggy) but otherwise, our meals were very good. The wait staff and front desk staff is very nice. If you stay there, you can get 20% off for breakfast and 10% off for dinner. Big hint: we got a terrific price for our room because I looked on www.hotelcoupons.com (formerly roomsaver.com) and secured a room for $49.99 a night for a weekend ($44.99 for weekday). Regular price would have been from $65-80 per night so I feel we got a good deal. If you go at off times of the year, you should have no problem getting a room with a discount without an advance reservation. The only thing is that you do not get Choice points if you pay a discount price. I think any stay should count toward points. The hotel could use a little modernizing (need a new TV in rooms) and a little makeover on the outside and a little sprucing up (which is why it gets four stars instead of five), but we enjoy staying here and have never been disappointed. It is easy to find, right off the highway and you can get right on I-81 or Route 11 and go up and down the Valley for some great shopping, craft shows and good food. Be sure to eat at the Southern Kitchen (1950s era family restaurant) in downtown New Market while you are in town!

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor, there is no elevator.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review. We strive to make our guests stay a pleasant one. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!!
Eastern Shore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked a room here as a halfway stop on my way home from a Virginia Tech football game. The booking price was a little high for a Quality Inn, but the location met my needs.

The service is friendly across the board. The rooms are nice size, but the bathroom is tight. The TV is not a flat screen. The room was clean except for some debris in the corner behind one of the chairs. The pillows are small and cheap... like many low end properties seem to be going to. The room was quiet from other room noise.

This property is less 300 feet from I-81... and the second floor rooms are level with the roadway. I-81 has a continuous flow of semi's all night long. So... if you're facing the roadway from a second floor room, you'll be treated to something akin to some noise like an airport is in vicinity... unless the TV, heat or A/C is on.

There is a restaurant on site and gas stations very close by.

Room Tip: IF you're noise sensitive, ask for a room not facing the highway (the east side).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for you review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

First off, all of the Staff was very, very nice,
The hotel is clean but it is quite old and very tired and REALLY due for a makeover! The room was CLEAN and LARGE but again, very old.
Fuzzy old style CRT TV.
I closed the curtains after dark and they were so old that when the sun came up you could actually see through the worn, thin paces, and I'm not talking pinholes either! areas larger than my hand my hand were transparent in a DARK blue curtain! How's that for privacy?
Bathroom was also very clean and very well stocked but also OLD and tired.
For over $120 for a single, I expect a lot better.
I didn't try the restaurant but be aware that because thy have a restaurant on the premises this is one Quality Inn that offers NO free breakfast, just a 20% discount at the place on-site.
I'd stay again if nothing better was on offer because it was clean and, like I said, the staff were especially nice and friendly!

Room Tip: Good luck: Even if you ask for a NON SMOKING room my hallway reeked of cigarettes.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We appreciated all of our guests comments and suggestions. I do apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have looked into the issues of concern and are taking care of them. Thank you for your kind words concerning our staff. Our entire hotel staff strive to make our guests stay a pleasant one.
Zebulon, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I (ages 72 & 77) stayed at this inn on October 10, 2012. It was one of the most unpleasant stays that we have experienced in our many years of travels. Although we called the telephone number shown at the Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley web site (540 740 3141) to make reservations, a bill was received from Expedia prior to our leaving home. Upon arrival at the inn, we inquired as to why we had received the bill from Expedia, instead of Quality Inn. The man at the registration desk attempted to explain to us as to how that could have happened. His explaination was very confusing and left us baffled, so we just went to our room.

When entering the hallway, a very unpleasant odor (stench) was noted. Although we were assigned a non-smoking room, the smell of cigarettes was detected. Exiting the building near the laundry, three women were observed smoking outside the door, so possibly the smoke was being drawn into the building. In the bathroom the tub drain plug could not be lifted with the handle, causing the water to puddle. And while walking beside the bed, I struck my shin over a bracket (I assume to hold the mattress in place) that was protruding about 3 inches from the mattress and hidden by the bed cover. There was no elevator, and since our room was on the second floor, we had to lug our luggage up the stairwell - not an easy task for ones of our age. Upon our departure, my wife mentioned our concern about the billing procedure to the check-out woman. She was very rude, and virtually called my wife a liar, saying that my wife had made the reservations with Expedia, and not Quality Inn.

The only positive thing that I can comment upon, pertains to the Johnny Appleseed restaurant. The food was very good and in generous proportions. Those serving it, and the cashier, were very friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
qinm, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. We first want to apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We strive to make each guest's stay pleasant and comfortable and regret when we are unable to achieve this goal. All reservations booked through Expedia display the Expedia name and a suppressed rate so that the hotel is aware the room has been prepaid. We will be sure to review this process with our staff at the front desk so that they may offer a more clear explanation to our guests in the future. As for the issues with the room, a list has been made so that maintenance can fix those problems. We apologize for these issues and the discomfort that they caused. In addition we always try to fulfill any special requests that our guests have such as needing a first floor room, however, these requests are only visible to our staff if made during the booking process. Again, thank you for your post, we always appreciate our guests sharing their comments and experience so that we may better serve them in the future!
Phoenixville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Older hotel, and the furniture shows it, but retains the class of its youth.
Excellent front desk service, rooms well-appointed and well-stocked.
Most downstairs rooms have both drive-up and interior corridor, convenient to access the restaurant, where food and service are fine.
Very comfy swivel chair and large desk, TV (tube type) has wide selection of channels.
Great for a night's stay, considering price and easy on/off to I-81.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
qinm, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! It is always a pleasure to hear such nice compliments in regards to our accomodations and staff service, we will let them know to keep up the good work! We hope that you will visit with us again soon!
Atascadero, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here while visiting Civil War sites in Virginia. The place has a good location with a great restaurant. Our room was clean but well used. Our tv was an old tube type that would not focus at all. Hey Quality Inn it's time to remodel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you took advantage of all the Civil War history in this area. Also, it is nice to hear that you had a chance to visit our locally famous Johnny Appleseed Restaurant, we are proud to continue this tradition! We do want to apologize for the poor focus of the tv in your room, as they are older model televisions we still try very hard to maintain the picture quality and will have maintenance look into this issue. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us!

Been to Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley? Share your experiences!