“Wonderful, wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Wonderful, wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a ski week March 2012, in the Gruner Baum. I had previously skied Bad Gastein and knew the area. I choose the Gruner Baum as it is a Small Luxury Hotel of the World and my husband is Very, Very fussy about where he stays. We were not disappointed!. The hotel was wonderful, simply wonderful! Comfortable rooms, caring, attentive staff right from the moment you get there and fabulous food! Yes it is out of town, but the Gruner Baum shuttle service leaves you to the ski lift within 15 minutes of putting your boots on in the ski room at the hotel - so easy and simple! Have I mentioned the relaxing spa and the beauty of the hotel's location in the surrounding mountains? And in the evening, why leave the hotel? The dinner is a gastronomic delight and the bar is very comfortable, where other friendly, happy guests are relaxing. So this year my husband insisted we return and Yes! we are having a ski week in the Gruner Baum in March 2013. We are both looking forward to what will be an excellent week!

Meave D. Northern Ireland

Room Tip: Our room was very well appointed but it is the hotel setting that is so restful - I expect the major...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MaximilianBlumschein, Geschäftsführer at Hoteldorf Gruner Baum, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Meave D.!

This year will be even better! It is snowing at the moment, skiing is fabulous and the rest of the hotel is pretty much the same as last year.
Thank you so much for your review, it is great to hear that we can convience even the "fussiest" guests! ;-)
We are looking forward, to welcome you in a little more than 2 weeks.
Enjoy the anticipation!
Maximilian & the team of Grüner Baum.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Epping, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hotel located circa 3km from town, you have to take either the hotel shuttle bus (every 30 mins) or a per booked taxi (15 eur) to go and fwd. As you approach the hotel (especially at night) it looks like a fairy tale place

Service in reception, in the bar, in the restaurant is all excellent, cannot be faulted.

The breakfasts are superb, evening dinner was good (and based on some of the other evening meals we had would say it is v good relative to other restaurants)

Spa is v nice and welcome after a days skiing.

The recommended ski rental place is right by the slopes, and there is a depot down there so no need to lug them back and forth. Overall the hotel cannot be faulted

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Steve_N1059!

You are right we are no ski in/ski out, but you experience the great solitude of our valley. Thank you so much for your review, I especially like the titel :-)
We are happy that you enjoyed everything in our hotel and Johnny (Schober) is also a great partner to take care of your skies.
Hope to see you soon & all the best
Maximilian & the Grüner Baum team.
Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have just returned from a week stay at this amazing, fairytale hotel! There were 10 of us altogether and i truly cannot fault anything about our entire stay.
My wedding was completely taken care of by Sigrid Blumschein and every small detail was perfect. The day itself was unbelivably beautiful which included a trip to the waterfall in Bad Gastein in the firestation car driven by Maximillian Blumschein which we thought was a great touch! Where we had a champagne toast as well as feeling like royalty driving down there. After returning to the hotel where we indulged in some lovely sandwiches and soup and we finished the day with a sleigh ride into the National Park.
There was something to do every day/night whether you want to do absolutly nothing apart from maybe chill out in your room (I saw 6 different ones and they were all very different and unique with beautiful views) or maybe use the spa and indulge in some treatments, which were amazing with great therapists, or if you want to do more there are loads of walks you can do, and organised evening walks with torchs or snow shoes!
The food was amazing, breakfast there were loads of choices with a changing special everyday! and as we were half board the evening meal was supurb! All the staff were amazing, friendly, very helpful i cannot praise them enough and we had a little 19 month old girl (Alesha) in our party who was very spoilt all week!
I could go on and on about this place because it was so special and thanks to everyboby there has created some memories i will never forget and as i said to the rest of the party you feel as if you are a guest at somebodies house rather just staying in a hotel! I plan on returning here as soon as i can and look forward to seeing it during the summer and hopefully my 1st anniversary!

Room Tip: we had a suite in the same house as the spa, the views were amazing!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MaximilianBlumschein, Geschäftsführer at Hoteldorf Gruner Baum, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Stephanie & I.!
(I am not allowed to use his name ;-)

I want to thank YOU that you choose our hotel for your very special day and my staff and I are happy that you enjoyed every bit of it! I still have to look what I should do with the overtime of Richard, our barman, but I am sure we can handle that :-)
You are right, there are many things to do, but the sledge-ride is an absolute highlight and therefore has to be part of the wedding.
The whole party was fun and a pleasure to have.
We all wish you all the best for your marriage, which might be a great challenge, but also the greatest gift in life!
Looking forward to see you soon!
Maximilian and a great team!
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful weekend in this lovely hotel. The setting is in postcard surroundings, a beautiful valley tucked away in the mountains. It is like a small alpine village that gives you a taste of live in the alps a hundred years ago. The rooms are carefully preserved with antique furniture, it was like living in a museum. They give attention to every detail.

The breakfast was honestly one of the best I have ever experienced. Finer touches like the champagne and salmon. The dinner also was a gourmet experience.

I usually don't like to return to places I have visited but Grüner Baum will definitely be put on my list of to do again!!

Room Tip: Ask for the larger rooms facing away from the parking. Beautiful panoramic view in the morning with...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MaximilianBlumschein, Geschäftsführer at Hoteldorf Gruner Baum, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Souvlaki301!

Thank you so much for this lovely review. We are glad that you enjoy our interiour.
I will pass on your praise to our staff member.

Hope to see you soon, sometimes it is good to change a habit ;-)
All the best
Maximilian Blumschein & team.
Treviso, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was here in summer after my first visit in Bad Gastein many years ago.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, the valley, where is it, is practically used and dedicated to the hotel that is look like a village.

We was in an apartment in a separate house, good cleaning, perfect service and great breakfast and dinner.

The surronding is really good for trekking, running and walking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MaximilianBlumschein, Geschäftsführer at Hoteldorf Gruner Baum, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Marco Cenci!

Thanks a lot for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and in our valley. You are right the valley is the most important asset of our hotel and we will take good care of it. Especially in the summer you can explore it on your own or join one of our numberos programs with our rangers: fishing, outdoorgames, mountainbiking, nature watching,...
Looking forward to welcome you again next August!
All the best
Maximilian Blumschein & Team.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Lovely setting, outstanding food, a plethora of diversions and excellent, helpful service. They even sent a birthday cake to our room when they learned it was my wife's birthday. Smoked venison and champagne as part of the breakfast buffet, for heaven's sake!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MaximilianBlumschein, Geschäftsführer at Hoteldorf Gruner Baum, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear AI R!

You really came a long way to enjoy the beginning of the Winter season and we are glad you did! I sure that the "Krampus & Nikolaus" was also a special moment. Your wifes birthday was on the same day than my on - so next time we celebrate together :-)

Maximilian Blumschein.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Gruner Baum in Bad Gastein in early July 2012. The
hotel's architecture was a picture post card Tyrolean structure. Just what you would
imagine-beautiful window boxes filled with flowers-large windows/door that opened to
a balcony-babbling stream running through the property. Our room was quite large,
clean and comfortable. We stayed in the "spa" building.
The best thing that the Gruner Baum offers are the views. I spent 2 days remarking to
my husband how beautiful the views of the mountains/Alps are. I couldn't get over the natural beauty of the place. There are lots of hiking options that range from easy to difficult-
We opted for a meal plan that included breakfast and dinner. I am glad we did since
the drive down to Bad Gastein took a little while and we were usually tired by the end
of a busy day. We were able to eat outside and enjoy the nice weather although it was
starting to warm up by the end of our stay.
The views alone are worth the stay (of course we had great weather!)
I would recommend highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kare-Kare3!

Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel. Next to the national park and in the Kösslerhaus, our spa-building do we have the greatest view.
So when ever you feel the urge of some fresh air - hiking - fishing with our ranger, you know where to find us.
Maximilian Blumschein.

Been to Hoteldorf Gruner Baum? Share your experiences!