“Relaxing Place To Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Simian Eco Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
San Simian Eco Lodge
You added San Simian Eco Lodge to your Saves list
1000 metres past Apoyo Resort & SPA | Laguna de Apoyo, Granada, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #6 of 48 Granada B&B and Inns
Red Deer, Canada
“Relaxing Place To Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was our first stop in Nicaragua and we spent 4 nights in the Mango cabin right after Christmas. It was so refreshing to just wind down there for a few days before heading to SJDS for New Year's.
I really can't say enough good things about Daniel and the property he has here. He obviously cares very much about his business and guests. He'd pop by if we were sitting down by the water during the day to make sure everything was going okay, or sit and chat with us for awhile at breakfast or dinner. We needed to go into town to get a few things and he offered to give us a ride when he drove in to get some stuff for the lodge.
We were very comfortable in our cabin. It got a little toasty at night once or twice, but not too bad because the fan helps circulate the breeze pretty well. The main reason we chose Mango was because of the hot water (which I actually ended up not really using) and the outdoor shower (a novelty when you live somewhere with winter pretty much half the year). The room was kept very clean and I didn't notice much in the way of bugs except a couple of crickets and a spider we had to chase out. I was actually expecting more because its surrounded by the jungle. There are a bunch of little geckos that live under the roof outside and they take care of most of the bugs for you, I think. Some flocks of parakeets might wake you up in the morning, but other than that there is not much noise (might hear a rooster crow or a dog bark, but there are a lot of little farms around so that's not surprising).
I'd also like to say that their maintenance staff were on the ball. A valve or something got stuck on our shower and I couldn't shut it off. The maintenance guy was in our room within seconds and fixed it for us.
The landscaping on the property is also very well kept. Every morning the cheerful staff were outside cleaning the pathways and tending the plants. We really enjoyed lying in the hammocks all day reading our books, getting a couple beers at the bar, and swimming in the gorgeous lake. We also took the kayaks and inner tubes out in the water a few times.
We quite liked the food as well. We both have a soft spot for breakfast burritos and we ordered them almost every morning because they were so tasty here. There were actually guests from nearby hotels coming to eat at San Simian because the food was so much better there than at their hotels. There were a fair few day guests each day, but it didn't feel like they were in the way or anything. And hey, if they are buying stuff and giving more business to Daniel I am fine with that, I'm always happy when a place I like looks like it's doing well :)
We unfortunately had to do a little bit of work on this vacation, so we were grateful for the provided wifi. It actually worked pretty well; it worked best up in the restaurant area.
If you want to stay on Apoyo, I absolutely recommend San Simian. Daniel asked if we had any comments at the end of our stay, the only thing I could say was that I wish I lived somewhere like this.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The lodge is a perfect place to get away from it all. If I had just gone for a day trip to the Laguna I would have never seen it's beauty. I highly recommend the San Simian Lodge. The rooms are very clean, cozy and unique and the food and service is excellent. I have to say that Daniel, the Swiss owner made our stay. He was so generous and accommodating with his time. He guided us on a hike with a machete because there were some stories floating around about thieves. Any questions we had about anything, he was always available. Howler monkeys abound in the trees and you can hear their calls all day long. There's a great view from the lodge restaurant and he has kayaks and tubes to play with for free in the lake. We stayed for 2 nights and could have definitely stayed longer! Thanks Daniel for a wonderful time!!

Room Tip: There's one room I believe with an outside tub and hot water. It was booked unfortunately, but i...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location, quiet, well-appointed cabins, excellent food.Helpful owner, who gave a good Pueblos Blancos tour. We stayed for four nights and could easily have staid longer.
Trip Advisor insists that I should write 200 charactewrs

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

First I want to say that I love San Simian. I couldn't give it a higher recommendation if you are looking for a tranquil, calm place to stay.
The little cabins are adorable and unique. They are set back into the trees in a away that makes them seem like they grew on the property, they weren't just built there. The water of the lake is warm and soothing, really a lovely, lovely swim. I especially enjoyed getting up early and sitting on the dock to listen to the howler monkeys.
Where it falls a little short is in the details. The food selection in the restaurant is limited and because of the location you are limited with anywhere else to go. However, the food is not terrible so this isn't a deal breaker but you are limited.
The beach area (for a small fee) is open to the public. I was there for two days, the first day wasn't so bad but on the second day it seemed to be over run with visitors. Too many people for my taste, I felt crowded out.
The cabins (at least the bathrooms) could use a bit of up keep. Our sink was a little plugged up (i.e. had trouble draining) and the pipe was leaking. Also, the toilet was not in great shape. It's quite standard in Nicaragua that you don't put paper waste in toilets (little receptacles are usually near the toilet for that) as their plumbing system can't handle it. However, (and I am trying to put this delicately!) their plumbing could only handle liquid waste and not solid waste. As in it wouldn't flush down.

However, having made these criticisms, the peace and tranquility more than make up for it. Swinging in a hammock reading a book, watching the water and listening to monkeys simply cannot be beat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My travel companion and I were in our last days of our 3 week excursion in Nica, and needed a place to decompress and take in final moments of beauty before heading back to the cold North. San Simian turned out to be the perfect space for that.

As we arrived bumping along the dirt road to the front entrance (It's only slightly farther than other spots along the laguna, but it's worth it!), we were greeted with a glass of maracuya juice. Such a lovely touch!

We had the Pina cabin, with one double and one single bed, which worked fine for us. I loved that the private bathrooms were located outside. It was great getting to shower under the trees and stars.

The food was fantastic (breakfast is included, which is a terrific deal) and there is a bar nearer to the water so that you can order drinks and food with ease throughout your sunbathing and swimming day. We also took a walk up the hill in the morning to the mirador, as well as arranging a taxi to Masaya for our final public market gift purchases.

Daniel, the owner, did a fantastic job of checking in with us and being very amenable to questions and arrangements.

Overall, a great experience and I will definitely be back (anyone want to buy me a plane ticket?) ;)

Room Tip: It's Nicaragua and near water: bring bug spray if you're someone that doesn't like mosqu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Zeist, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

After a few days of 'hectic' and warm Granada, we decided to book a cabana at San Simian for a couple of days of relaxing and in order to thoroughly enjoy the tranquil beauty of the Laguna de Apoyo, an idyllic lake in the crater of a vulcano. This was paradise. The cabana itself was beautiful, the view extraordinary, and the food excellent. Nicaragua does not get much prettier than this!

Room Tip: Virtually all the cabanas face the lake, though the view from Cabana 'Sandia' is said to be...
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We debated whether to stay in Granada and do Apoyo as a side trip but we are so glad we decided to stay on the lake at San Simian! It is a great place to relax and reconnect with nature (and a good book!) We loved our cabana and its romantic outdoor shower. We stayed and took all our meals on the property and the food and service were excellent. I recommend trying the Macau for a cocktail and for dinner the fish with garlic sauce. The Nica breakfast was filling and always accompanied with a yummy fresh juice.

The swimming in the lake is as amazing as advertised in the tour books. You don't have to worry about salty water or rip tides like you do in the ocean and the temperature is perfect--not like a bathtub but not too cold either. San Simian has kayaks you can take out for free and plenty of life vests in case you fall off. We saw some beautiful birds at San Simian in the trees on the grounds and flying over the lake. Two osprey made the dock their hunting spot and it was amazing to see them glide overhead.

Daniel who owns and manages the place has done a great job restoring the property and hiring an attentive and low key staff. I highly recommend a stay here--it is too nice for just a day trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SANSIMIAN, Owner at San Simian Eco Lodge, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hello Maureen

Thanks for deciding to stay at Laguna de Apoyo and not in Granada. I completely agree that the Laguna is worth more than only a day trip. We believe it’s the most beautiful place in Nicaragua and if you prefer not to stay in a noisy and hot city like Granada and enjoy wake up calls from the sounds of monkeys and birds, then Laguna de Apoyo is the place to be.

We are only ½ hour away from Granada and the nearby tourist sights like White
Villages, the handicraft Market of Masaya, and National Park Masaya. We are closer to explore these places than from Granada. Staying at San Simian and exploring all these close attractions is convenient and then returning to a relaxing environment.

We are happy that you enjoyed the swimming in the laguna and enjoyed our food at our Restaurant. Hope to see you again!

Thanks Daniel

Been to San Simian Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!