“Two Words for Granada: A Wonder!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dario

You added Hotel Dario to your Saves list
Hotel Dario
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle La Calzada | De la Catedral 1 1/2 cuadra al lago, Granada 505, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Granada
Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Two Words for Granada: A Wonder!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I am costarrican and traveled abroad for the first time this weekend (august 11-13, 2011 short vacation) I chose Nicaragua for several reasons but mainly because it is a close country to mine and because I have a friend from there who helped me with planning the trip... Have to be sincere, I was a bit scared cause well traveling to another country alone even close to yours, you get a little nervous hehe.
Anyways, my friend Vane, recommended me to stay in the Hotel Dario... After some planing, I received her e-mail with the rates... LORD! that was when the magic began! the price was soooooooooooo good! though I didn't know how good or bad it was cause I booked from Costa Rica a month in advance. I so some pictures in their website, but still you know how marketing is!
Finally, the day arrived... I departured from CR in the morning (6:00 am) and arrived to Granada so early (1:20 pm) with no delay in the border, was so good....
OMGosh when you get off from the bus in Granada it's only incredibly, super wonderful the place is extremely lovely, the people super kind, it’s a save place, the architecture and esthetics colonial type just stoning!
I walked all the way to the hotel from where the bus stopped, which was a really good idea because I could enjoy the beautiful streets, stores, people, CHURCHES, etc.
When I got to the hotel, Oh God God God! was it really where I was staying? Simply incredible! A colonial styled building with a beautiful kind of terrace in front on the street, elegant, charming, exquisite, beautiful, comfortable ………….. words are not enogh!
The staff is kind, supportative, quick, knowledgeable….
The room was perfect, everything was working incredibly good. I got to say this, the toilet in my room wasn’t working well; but it was so cool that I didn’t ask for it to be fixed, I went out for a morning walk and when I came back to the room, the service had cleaned the room as usual but surprise! The toilet was fixed! Hehehe I know it sounds silly, but man! small details like this make a huge difference. The pool is small but I am not pools lover so it was enough for me.
Fridays, you gotta stay there in the hotel! There is a special grill time where they play music, there are shows with Nicaraguan typical dances (haha I was one of the lucky ones asked for dancing with the pro dancers hahaha), the food is delicious, great atmosphere.
The Hotel is super super good!
Tours, well I dind’t do many actually only two because of the short time I had; but excellent ones, first I have to say Get your camera SO ready! Hehehe…. I went to the isletas, small islands surrounding the Granada Peninsula. So cool, I took the tour in the afternoon for the sunset… Stunning!
Then I went to the Masaya Volcano National Park is so beautiful, you should go there, it’s incredibly big, cool, rocky ahahaha lots of walk for those who like it, however if you don’t want to, then it’s a good idea to go by car cause the walking is huge from the entrance of the Park till the crater, well at least for me it seemed huge hahahhaha (about 5 Kms)…. I went in a taxi with my guide and wasn’t expensive at all, they drove me till the crater in the car, then walked around to see the other places and then, in the car we went till the museum which is nice. We visited the Masaya Market as well, and it’s a cool place full of nice stuff with great prices.
Oh that’s a good point to remember (well just as in every place you visit) asking for prices in at least three different places is an excellent practice if you want so save some money.
Summarizing, Granada and of course Hotel Dario are MUST DO for your vacation.
Cant wait for coming back! Thank you Hotel Dario and Granada for such an amazing vacation…

Room Tip: Enjoy it! that's my tip.... Quility vs price perfect in this hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Doral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Don't need to go far to experience what colonial Nicaragua has to offer...Hotel Dario met and exceeded my expectations...located in the heart of the city on famous Calzada street...my balcony view of Mombacho volcano was breathtaking...We'll be back for sure...!

Room Tip: extremely affordable and the food absolutely delicious and at a great price..coffee for five for a p...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We have been located at Hotel Dario in Granada, a charming an special place to enjoy your vacations. Its restaurant has a very tasty food that you won't stop eating!!.. Ask for traditional food!!
We felt very confortable with all the staf , they were very knid and respectful. We recommend it for sure!!

• Stayed July 2011
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was very much impressed by the city of Granada,the beauty of the lake and the site of this amazing house converted into a hotel.It has a welcoming effect the moment you step into the delightful inner garden with beautiful high wooden ceilings and floors.I stayed in room 103 and was very much impressed by the quality of the room and the spectacular view of the volcano and the rooftops.I was warned that it could be a bit "noisy" since it faces the busy pedestrian "high street"of la Calzada and they offered that if I had a sensible sleep I could be moved into the quieter rooms on the interior part of the hotel.I took a chance since I liked the room so much, and was delighted to have stayed there in spite of the mild "inconvenience".I am very greatful to the person who recommended me the hotel,and I am really looking forward to visit Granada and Hotel Dario in the near future since my stay was much too short this time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The Hotel Dario is located in an old mansion on Granada's pedestrian mall. The street is one of the centers of Granada's cultural life, bringing together street vendors, artisans, restaurants, bars and shops. The hotel, whose balconies overlook the street as well as the Mombacho volcano in the distance, was the home of one of the city's most prominent families and has since been converted into one of Granada's most charming hotel properties. An inviting fountain courtyard is the heart of the hotel, leading to its restaurant, cafe, and swimming pool. Rooms in the main buiilding -- the original part of the house -- offer wood floors, extremely high ceilings and beautiful balconies. Past the courtyard is the swimming pool, surrounded by rooms with a slightly more modern feel. Food in the restaurant is excellent and well-priced, though there are many restaurants to choose from in the immediate vicinity as well. Several tour operators along the street offer tours to the volcano, island lakes and around the city. Service at the Hotel Dario is courteous and friendly. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are larger, though they face the pedestrian mall which can be a bit noisy...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
pdx, oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Hotel Dario has the perfect location. The staff were all very nice and helpful. The rooms were very nice and clean as well. We really enjoyed our time at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
Granada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

the best place for conference, very quiet, I had the opportunity to see the place and recommend it, very good service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Dario? Share your experiences!