“Worst Hostel Yet” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Bearded Monkey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Bearded Monkey
You added The Bearded Monkey to your Saves list
Avenida 14 de Septiembre, Granada, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #32 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Granada
Edmonton, Canada
“Worst Hostel Yet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I can't believe this place is even listed in Lonely Planet or any other guide book for that matter. It is by far the worst hostel I've stayed in, in Central America. Usually dirty, unkept, or otherwise poor hostels have at least something going for them - good food, great customer service, etc. This place has none of that. The dorms are 12 to a room and the top bunk is so high, it is unsafe. We stayed in a private room that looked more like a broom closet and was only wide enough to fit the bed. The front desk gentleman couldn't tell us anything about things to do in the area - how do you work at a hostel and know nothing about your city? I left my phone charger in the room. He blamed our late check out (which wasn't actually late) for me losing the charger and then told me it was my fault, not his. He also rolled his eyes at us every time we walked by. The place is dirty, messy and smells bad. Just a horrible overall experience. We couldn't wait to get out of there. Seriously, take a few extra minutes and look on the other side of Central Park for an accommodation if your first choice is full.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

1st to all the whiny babies, you are NOT in Israel, the EU or the US so why try to bring those standards when visiting a place like Nicaragua? 2nd the locals idea of hospitality is not the same as where you come from - deal with it crybabies! I stayed in Nicaragua & Costa Rica for 15 months & the Monkey was by far my favorite hostel. Great place to chill & meet people from all over. Yes, bedbugs are a nuisance (NOT THE END OF THE WORLD) from time to time as they are at all the hostels & many of the $40 & up hotels...they travel with the travelers. They are a worldwide problem (have you been to Indonesia?) but don't rate all the drama they get from the whiny crybabies. Loosen up & enjoy the ride, remembering that you are traveling in a 3rd world country & will have to wait until you return home to be coddled like the baby you appear to be. Lastly after staying at the Monkey many times over 15 months a friend & I decided you are either a Monkey person or you're not.

• Stayed August 2013
Mantua, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

the owner is very nice. the place is not fancy but clean enough. i was in a private room so i don't know how was in the dorm. quiet and cheap. good location quite close to the main square and the streets with retaurant and bars.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I really didn't like my stay at Bearded Monkey Hostel and I really don't understand why it is so highly recommended in the Lonely Planet. It is so quiet here, no Bar or Restaurant as mentioned which is alright but then they shouldn't say they have one! Our room was ok but the bathrooms were so dirty, the garbage of toilet paper was full all the time! And the kitchen was so awful that I dont wanted to touch these sponges or towels. Also never any soap anywhere. The staff was really not interested in how we're doin' and we took a shuttle from the hostel that arrived 1,5 hours later and they just didn't care. I would never come back to this hostel!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late at night at the Bearded Monkey after a 10 hour bus ride. Despite having received confirmation from them that we had reserved a private room, there were only dorm beds available. When they showed us to the dorm room, they flicked on the light, not caring at all about waking up people who were sleeping. One of the beds they had for us was dirty. Throughout this entire exchange, they thought our situation was hilarious and just could not stop laughing. There are no locks on the doors, including the main door into the hostel, leaving it very unsecured. The mattresses are exceptionally uncomfortable.

• Stayed January 2014
Leon, Nicaragua
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

It's an ugly, rusty and dirty place. We've stayed there with my friends and I did not caught any bed bugs, but some others in our dorm did. Dorms are spacious, but doors suck, so you will hear people drinking and yelling in the yard. Bathrooms are horrible, I did not find the courage to use the bathroom. Staff is a joke, they don't bother with anything.

Granada has a nice selection of finest hostels and hotels, just go somewhere else and don't bother with this one.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leon, Nicaragua
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We wanted to stay at this hostel because my partner had a great time here 5 years ago. Since then unfortunately, the bar has closed, the kitchen has closed, the staff just don't seem to care, and the beds are crawling with bedbugs!
On the first night we stayed in a dorm. The room was pretty dark but seemed fine. I woke up the next morning, literally covered in over 100 bites! They were all over my arms, legs, back and FACE! I was so upset. We complained to the staff and they moved us to a private room and didn't charge us for my dorm bed... but that night I woke up during the night to be face to face with a huge bug! I squished it and it was clearly a bedbug. We also noticed that the dorm room we were in, was filled that day with a group of people travelling together, including the bed I was using the previous night. There was no fumigation, they didn't even change the mattress... gross.

On a side note, we briefly had one enjoyable night, where some friends we made were jamming and singing. Until the manager joined our group while we jammed, which was fine until he started making our friend uncomfortable with all the compliments he kept giving her, then he went to kiss her while her boyfriend was say right next to her! Our friend had made it clear, well before then that they were together. The managers excuse was that he was 'in love'!
I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bearded Monkey? Share your experiences!