“Not the Best” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Bearded Monkey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Bearded Monkey
You added The Bearded Monkey to your Saves list
Avenida 14 de Septiembre, Granada, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #31 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Granada
Granada, Nicaragua
“Not the Best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed here for one night as it was recommended from lonely planet. As we checked another backpacker told us his room hadd been broken into the night before and had everything stolen, we still decided to stay anyway as we had already paid. At about 5am we woke up to someone trying to break into our room while we were sleeping. About 30 mnutes later they tried to break into another girls room who they'd been watching and knew the girls were in there and awake. Very dodgy. Rooms and beds were small and Ok, shower didnt work as "there was no water left'. Probably the worst place ive staryed throughout all my travels in south and central america. We didnt stay in the dorms but our friends did and had no problems maybe just stay away from Private rooms..Location was pretty good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Security, What security.

What a shambles of a hostel. As we arrived a girl had just had her bag (containing 2 Camera's, passport, ipod etc) stolen from reception. She tried to ask the receptionist to call the police but was told they wouldnt do anything at that time and they were never called. For some crazy reason we still decided to check in, we were only planning on staying one night and thought how bad can it be. We checked in and were taken to their annexed building the Hidden Monkey. We were soon to realise it is only hidden to the staff and security at the hostel. That night (friday night) we went out for some drinks in town. We were only out for 2 hours between midnight and 2am. When we returnd we discovered that the whole of our room had be ramsacked. My friends bag was slashed open and his Laptop, Camera, money, phone and day pack were all taken. My Ipod, camera, wallet, phone, bag and other items of clothing etc were also taken. The main gate to this building had had one of the bars bent open then the perpetraitors had reached through and opened the door from the inside. Once inside all the rooms have padlocks on them, so it is very easy to see which one will have nobody inside, as you cannot lock yourself in with padlocks. On each room (except one I think) they have windows with slatted glass which couldnt be easier to remove to climb in to the rooms, which is what happened.
The problem is not that this happened, obviosly this was extremely unfortunate and upsetting, but it is that when we arrived we were not told their were no lockers in the rooms in the hidden monkey we were not told that the hostel had a safe behind reception to put all valuable items in. I'm not sure if this was due to the ignorance of the staff member working at that time or whether he neglected to tell us this as he had something more to do with what happened that night. He didnt seem to bothered when the girl had had her bag stolen from under his nose in reception and was far from helpful in trying to call the police for her.

The hostel did manage to call the police for us that night but nothing much happened at that point. This could have been due to the officer being slightly tipsy and therefore refusing to give me his name for identification. We were taken to the Police station the following morning to provide a report and then they followed up at the hostel by taking finget prints etc. All the time this was happeneing we were never made aware of what was happeneing, the manager had never made any effort to introduce himself to us. We eventually found who we assumed to be the managed sitting at the bar on our return to the bearded monkey.

The worst part of all of this is that nothing was done that day to try to secure this bulding from a repeat attack. The panes of glass were never replaced in our room and I had to bend the bar back in to place on the front door myself. The following day the ''Administrator' identified himself to us and appologised for our loss and the fact that he had been off all weekend (without someone to cover him) and only returned that morning. When questioned about why this was alowed to happen in the first place and about the lack of interest from staff and the lack of effort with attempting to secure the building afterwards and with what he planned to do in the future with regards to preventing similar attacks, he was far from convincing with his answers. When I suggested changing locks on doors to those similar to yale locks so people wouldnt be able to see if the room was empty or not, and to putting bars on the windows, he seemed to think this was going to be too expensive to do. I also sugesseted the hostel utilized the other doors on the entrance to the hidden monkey which remained open 24 hours a day and he replied by telling us that a lot of people leave without returning keys implying that it would again be expensive practice to do this (They already charge an $8 key deposite). There was also an issue with somebody living in the room next to the front door and noise but I failed to see how this door could be any noisier than the mental gate already in place.

The whole situation was dealt with unprofessionally and insensitively (we had lost over $1000 of belongings but no one seemed to care). There was no hint of any compensation or good will from their part. Infact later that day, one of the receptionists was shouting at us because we hadnt checked out by 12pm and the time was now 2pm.
I have travelled for over 18months, spent a lot of time in a lot of hostels, NEVER had a problem with anything like this before and i would absolutely recommend not staying at this hostel if you value your belongings and travelling experience. Yes it is faily cheap but for similar prices and beter sevice and SECURITY i highly recommend looking elsewhere.

The hostel made one nice jesture and that was offering to take my freinds bag to be sown up where it was slashed. Upon its return my freind filled it up and it immediately split again, then the manager locked it on a cupboards for him until he was ready to leave but when that time came nobody in the hostel had a key for this cupboard (which was empty beside my friends belongings). We waited for the staffs lack of effort in contacting the manager for an hour and a half until we could wait no more as the buses to Managua were due to stop running soon. Due to this I decided to open the locker myself via my own means, but not causing any damage to the lock or surrounding door, allowing us to finally leave Granada the the hellish weekend we had encoutered. The poos cleaner didnt seem to pleased by this but i appologies and tried to explain i was left no choice and nobody made any effort to help us out.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010 via mobile

Stayed here because lonely planet reccomended it. The place to stay in Granada. I never saw so many people check out of a place so fast. The mattresses were nothing more than 2 inches of foam on wooden boards. Prison inmates have better living standards than this. The bathrooms were a nasty eyesore. The food was bland and over priced. The lady working the bar was mental and needs professional help. Save your money and frustrations and get a better place. Granada is a wonderful city. The bearded monkey is by far the worst place I have ever stayed in my travels.

• Stayed December 2010
beardedmonkey, Gérant at The Bearded Monkey, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
It's a pity you did not ask to talk about your bad stay in our hostel. Actually, we do have a classic turnover for backpacker hostel so don't be afraid of 15 check-out everyday. I can assure you that a huge majority of our clients is very satisfied of their stay.
Thousands of backpackers spent nights in the bearded monkey and they seem very thankful leaving the hostel.

Don't be shy next time and speak with the direction when you have this kind of problems.

THE DIRECTION
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I stayed here a few years ago... I really enjoyed my stay.. .I layed around in the hammocks for hours, then would get up order something to eat and get back in those hammocks...

the rooms themselves were not that amazing.... the beds were pretty gross.... but the hostel itself made up for all that... Beautiful building and helpful staff!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

I arrived at the Mono del Barbo at about 10pm with two friends from Maine. We were fresk off of the Ticabus from San Jose. The staff graciously show us a variety of rooms. My friends chose a dbl and I chose the suite. We dropped off our backpacks in our respective rooms and retired to the bar. What a great selection of mixed drinks and cold beer. Our bartenders were Hali And Jamie (sure I misspelled both names, sorry guys). They were both very skilled bartenders/mixologists. Even better, they were able to direct us to almost almost every place we inquired of. The owner, Jean Jaques, also extended to us every courtesy and was observed working everywhere (except the bar) at all hours of the day or night (he must not need sleep). His efforts show, as it seems as though everything works and nothing was broken (except the pot that I knocked over). They have a great 2 for 1 happy hour from 4:30 to 7:30, complete with killer Macuas and Margaritas.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Many different accommodation offers, very cheap just for hammocks, private rooms and group rooms available. Good location just a short walk into the centre. Good bar and service.

Standard basic backpacker hang out, good place to meet other travellers if looking for company. 4 computers available that get alot of use but was never too much of a wait.

I didn't try the food,i was told there where very good places to eat in Granada so didn't want to miss out for what i expect was very ordinary food

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

Stunning colonial building with a great courtyard garden. Good atmosphere, nice bar, and the food's not bad either! Dorm rooms are HUGE!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Bearded Monkey? Share your experiences!